IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: RommelFox on October 17, 2019, 06:37:14 PM

Thank you !   :bd:

I finally won something in life!  :dreamer:

You're always a winner when you post at the Grogs.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

RommelFox

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 17, 2019, 06:39:27 PM
Quote from: RommelFox on October 17, 2019, 06:37:14 PM

Thank you !   :bd:

I finally won something in life!  :dreamer:

You're always a winner when you post at the Grogs.
It's true!

We also can't forget the considerable prestige and women one gains from being a member.
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

al_infierno

Well I've finally decided to make the jump into air simming.  Any grogs got recommendations for good flight sticks?  Keyboard and mouse only gets me so far over Stalingrad...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Father Ted

I use (and have done for years) a Thrustmaster T16000.  I think it's a very good stick at the affordable end of the range.  It doesn't come with many peripheral control axes (though there is a HOTAS version) so mine is paired with a homemade engine-control/trim box.  It has a "twisty stick" for rudder control, which is pretty essential for taxiing those tail-draggers.

If you get into flight-simming, pedals for rudder control add to the immersion, but the thing you'll really want is Track IR (or a knock-off equivalent).

Pete Dero

Quote from: Father Ted on October 19, 2019, 04:49:40 AM
I use (and have done for years) a Thrustmaster T16000.  I think it's a very good stick at the affordable end of the range.  It doesn't come with many peripheral control axes (though there is a HOTAS version) so mine is paired with a homemade engine-control/trim box.  It has a "twisty stick" for rudder control, which is pretty essential for taxiing those tail-draggers.

If you get into flight-simming, pedals for rudder control add to the immersion, but the thing you'll really want is Track IR (or a knock-off equivalent).

I have the HOTAS version (https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960778-Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS/dp/B01KCHPRXA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=t1600m&qid=1571483238&sr=8-1).

You should be able to find one (stick & throttle) for just above $100 and it could be a very good start.

If you want to jump a bit farther the Warthog is a nice choice and will relieve you of around $350. (https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960720-Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog/dp/B00371R8P4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=thrustmaster&qid=1571483600&sr=8-3&th=1)

Tuna

I have the same Thrustmaster and love it!.. The poor man's HOTAS!

JasonPratt

I've got some kind of Thrustmaster, can't tell which model (not on the stick or throttle).

The throttle is not the best quality; almost impossible to make small movements with it smoothly. But it works.

The key to any good set, first and foremost, is the gimble that the stick moves on. Make sure it's a metal ball if you can! -- anything else wears out eventually.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Like Father Ted said do get some form of TrackIr.   You will not be able to follow enemy planes without it and most sims will lose their appeal quickly.

Tuna

Skoop

The Careers for Il2 BP, FC, and tank crew have been released, giving it a spin.

Jarhead0331

Wish there were tutorial or training missions...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Requiem's youtube tutorials are very good.  He covers everything from basic fighter ops to very detailed how to on each specific aircraft.  Also you can get some in cockpit references via the specs tab of the map.

If all else fails, jump in to the career right now and use the p-51 in the battle of the bulge.  The p-51 is like the 109 where everything is automated so you can focus on just dogfighting, plus it handles like a dream and 777's version of it is amazing.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on November 09, 2019, 07:19:12 PM
Requiem's youtube tutorials are very good.  He covers everything from basic fighter ops to very detailed how to on each specific aircraft.  Also you can get some in cockpit references via the specs tab of the map.

If all else fails, jump in to the career right now and use the p-51 in the battle of the bulge.  The p-51 is like the 109 where everything is automated so you can focus on just dogfighting, plus it handles like a dream and 777's version of it is amazing.

Thanks, but I was more interested in tutorials and training missions for Tank Crew. Youtube videos are great, but I prefer interactive missions with instruction, similar to how DCS does it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18