Carrier (Solitaire, VG)

Started by BanzaiCat, August 06, 2013, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

So I figure I'd finally take a serious look at Carrier, the solitaire boardgame from Victory Games that came out in 1990.

I picked it up for about $18 at a GenCon or Origins (can't remember which) somewhere around 2005, and never opened it. It's unpunched and in great condition.

Now that I finally have some time in my life to get back into board gaming (and am converting my home office to add a table for this purpose), I'm much more interested in some of these games that I've bought over the years but never touched. Like this one.

Now that I'm here with the time, I'm faced with the dilemma that this damned game is selling on eBay for over a hundred bucks, in two different listings.

So I can say punch it and play it and the hell with it, or box it back up and list it for sale, or box it back up and store it carefully for another ten years and see what happens then.

I hate to punch it but I really want to play it. What I'm really afraid of is playing it and thinking it sucks and then kicking myself for not selling it in the first place.

I dunno. Any of you guys play Carrier before? I can read all kinds of reviews on BGG or elsewhere, but I'd like your opinions, if you have any.

bayonetbrant

I think Gary (GJK) redid some of the graphics for it as a part of a VASSAL module...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Some things that I can guarantee you in regards to Carrier:

1. The rules themselves you probably won't find overly complex but if you want to get into the game further than the first few intro scenarios, then you will spend a good amount of time learning the (full) system.

2. IF you do opt to learn the game, you will find it to be one of your most memorable solitaire gaming experiences ever; how much so will depend on your interest in WW2 Pacific carrier Op's.

3. IF you do opt to ebay it, you will get a pretty good ROI; especially for an UP copy in near mint condition.

4. You CAN play Carrier on the computer - I did work on the VASSAL/ZunTzu modules for it and I believe that the electronic version of the rules are online.  I would just photocopy the charts before you sold your copy.  THAT SAID, the Carrier experience is best experienced with a physical copy of the game; rolling the dice, moving the counters, stepping back from the table and taking the entire picture in while trying to figure out how the hell that wave of Jap dive bombers got through your CAP.....
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

And I will say this - I have Carrier set up inside my "cat proof" table at this very moment waiting for me to start my next campaign.  It IS my favorite solitaire wargame.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

see...?  I told you Gary would jump in here with both feet!  :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Grimnirsson

QuoteNow that I finally have some time in my life to get back into board gaming

I appreciate to see more traditional wargamers here on GrogHeads...these strange folks around here only play PC games... :P

QuoteI hate to punch it but I really want to play it.

Wrong spelling and poor choice of words...what you actually wanted to say is...

I have to punch it because I really want to play it!

;)

And when it comes to board wargames and especially Carrier listen to Gary :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

BanzaiCat

I appreciate it, Gary. I do love a good solitaire game and I am very interested in WWII carrier ops. I'm leaning towards keeping it and trying it out.

I also have Tokyo Express, unpunched, that I'm interested in trying. I might give that one another look as well. It's another acquisition from a game convention years ago that I never did anything with.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Grimnirsson on August 06, 2013, 02:06:58 PM

Wrong spelling and poor choice of words...what you actually wanted to say is...

I have to punch it because I really want to play it!

;)

Yeah, that's what I meant to type. :)

I think I may just do that.

BanzaiCat

And maybe as a bonus I'll figure out multi-quote quotations.

GJK

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 06, 2013, 02:07:53 PM
I also have Tokyo Express, unpunched, that I'm interested in trying. I might give that one another look as well. It's another acquisition from a game convention years ago that I never did anything with.

That one is also a solitaire game by Jon Southard that uses a similar but uniquely different system FWIU.  I haven't had the fortune of playing TE but the consensus that I gather is it is just a slight notch below Carrier on the excitement level and I would imagine because it simply doesn't have carrier op's in it so you miss that slice but gain the excitement of combat up and down "the slot".
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

The more that I think about it - what "I" would do is this.  Get the VASSAL module, and start to play the first couple of scenarios using it.  You have the rules and charts (I included the charts in the VASSAL module as well IIRC) and If it's clicking and you want to get into more and more campaigns, then punch that bad boy and get 'er on the table (that sounded kinky!).  If you find that it's not clicking, then sell it.  I have 3 copies already or I'd make you and offer!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on August 06, 2013, 02:36:10 PMthen punch that bad boy and get 'er on the table (that sounded kinky!)

You're fitting in here more and more every day ;D

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2013, 02:38:29 PM
Quote from: GJK on August 06, 2013, 02:36:10 PMthen punch that bad boy and get 'er on the table (that sounded kinky!)

You're fitting in here more and more every day ;D

Heh!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Toonces

I solved this dilemma by purchasing a punched copy AND and unpunched copy.

I recommend that you do what Gary suggests and try it out on Vassal first.  It's the only way I've played it actually, although just recently I've started looking at the rules again with the intent of setting it up for real finally.

The game holds its value very well, so I can see why you'd be reluctant to punch it.  On the other hand, we're not talking a fortune here.  Just play the game!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

weateallthepies

I'd probably punch it myself, but I have a thing for getting hold of games that have been "collected" and punching and playing them. Saying that, I can't afford the current prices on this one so I might even be tempted to keep hold of it as an investment, though unplayed games make me sad.  :(

Play it on Vassal, and hopefully that will convince you enough to play your copy.

Still hoping to find this cheap someday. I've had a few bargains from charity shops so you never know.