Main Menu

Brut@l

Started by spelk, August 06, 2016, 05:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

http://brutal-game.com

Released on PS4 on August 9th, but coming to PC later... I think.

Just did a preview of Brut@l on the Laserbeards Gaming Podcast Episode 6:

https://laserbeards.wordpress.com/2016/08/05/laserbeards-gaming-podcast-episode-6/

Whilst the game is action based, real time, twitch attack and block, it's mechanics are firmly leaning towards the roguelike. Perhaps it is a roguelite, but it pays homage to ASCII RL's much more than any roguelite I've seen about.

Most roguelites take one or two mechanics from roguelikes and build a novel action game around that. Brut@l seems to take quite a lot of roguelike mechanics and adds a splash of action gaming. They take the ASCII purity, but spin it in an artistic (and functional) way to almost celebrate it. You collect the ASCII characters to use in crafting and enchanting weapons. Hunger clock. Pizza. Randomised potions.

Your top down view of the map is pure 2d ASCII.

This game is never going to appeal to purist roguelike players, but it is advancing the genre more-so than most roguelites. This game could bridge the gap between action orientated players and true roguelikes. with luck they will enjoy it and its mechanics enough to dig deeper and come to proper roguelikes in the future.

Worth a look-see, IMHO moreso than the likes of Binding of Isaac or even Spelunky.

spelk

This was released on PS4 yesterday. No confirmation on when a PC version is due.

Issued the Laserbeards Brut@l challenge if anyone gets the game and wants a go at it...

Whilst the game is action based, real time, twitch attack and block, it's mechanics are firmly leaning towards the roguelike. Perhaps it is a roguelite, but it pays homage to ASCII RL's much more than any roguelite I've seen about.

Most roguelites take one or two mechanics from roguelikes and build a novel action game around that. Brut@l seems to take quite a lot of roguelike mechanics and adds a splash of action gaming. They take the ASCII purity, but spin it in an artistic (and functional) way to almost celebrate it. You collect the ASCII characters to use in crafting and enchanting weapons. Hunger clock. Pizza. Randomised potions.

Your top down view of the map is pure 2d ASCII.

This game is never going to appeal to purist roguelike players, but it is advancing the genre more-so than most roguelites. This game could bridge the gap between action orientated players and true roguelikes. with luck they will enjoy it and its mechanics enough to dig deeper and come to proper roguelikes in the future.

Worth a look-see, IMHO moreso than the likes of Binding of Isaac or even Spelunky.

spelk

I suppose this post may need to be moved to the console section (if a mod could do it).. I wasn't sure whether it was of wider appeal because there is talk of a PC version coming out later, and I know we have quite a contingent amongst the grogs who like roguelike games.

I'll be interviewing one of the devs later on this week, so I'm hoping to get the inside information on the PC version.

Nefaro

Roguelikes?  Yes, I enjoy some of them quite a bit.

"Roguelites"?  No.  I kept trying to like them, but couldn't. 

That'd make me a purist, but I also think the decent ASCII RLs should've been permanently converted to graphical tiles long ago, and the ASCII interfaces relegated to the dust bin.  So not really a purist. 

bbmike

Whilst the game is action based, real time, twitch attack and block...

I think you managed capture just about everything I don't want in a PC game.  :buck2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

spelk

Just finished a podcast Interview with Producer of Brut@l, Richard Wood. Worth a listen if you're interested in the development of the game, and the indie game dev scene around Dundee - plus I manage to squeak out some insider secrets about the games mechanics..

Laserbeards Gaming Podcast Episode 7 - The Brut@l Interview.

If you can't be fussed to listen, here's the skinny:

Influences: Rogue, Nethack & Brogue
Dungeon Crawler homage to Roguelikes
Talismans available for elemental resistance after about D12
God's Favour is scaled for amount of gold you will have, first ask for favour is 1 to 500 Gold.. nudge,nudge,wink,wink..
Crumbling bridges, random crumble rather than actual footfall
etc..