Console Recommendations

Started by Bison, January 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiimori

Quote from: Barthheart on January 15, 2016, 10:21:35 AM
Does the PS4 have an online system?

One of the main reason me and my gaming group have Xboxes is because of Xbox live. We're spread out all over the province now and it's an easy way we can get together for some hack and slash gaming once a month. It costs me $70 CDN a year for that service and worth every penny. Also lets me play World of Tanks on my big screen....  :)

PS4 has an online system called PSN (Playstation Network), it is similar to XBox Live. You can play with your friends, team up in parties and communicate via voice chat and PM. We currently play Destiny Taken King, Battlefield 4 and CoD Black Ops III online. You pay a membership fee and become a "Playstation Plus" member, which includes 2 free games for PS4 each month (+2 for PS3 and+2 for PS Vita, if you own one of those).

We (I and Grimnirsson) recently switched from XBox 360 to PS4 together (thanks to the Black Friday amazon sale) and didn't regret it for a moment. I really liked the XBox 360, but the PS4 had more attractive games than the XBox One, so we commonly decided to switch platforms with the new generation and give the Playstation a try. It was the first time for Grimnirsson, but I already owned a PS1 and we had a lively console career including the Sega Mega Drive, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast (still one of the best consoles ever), Gamecube, the first XBox, Wii and Wii U - so we are always open to new experiences.

Btw. World of Tanks is coming to PS4 on January 19th!
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Bison

That is for the feed back folks.

My gaming heart says PS4, but the father of younger kids and the husband of a hidden casual gamer says wii u for the young kid family friendly games.  I thought I was resolved to getting the PS4, but looking at the games library I see a lot of great games but very few kid games outside of Disney infinity and Lego games.  So now I'm back into waffling back and forth.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Hiimori

Wii U is also a good choice for kids. I spent the holidays with my sister's family, my nephew is 8, my niece is 11 and they own a Wii U.

The kids love the console, we played Skylanders (a horrible money making machine IMO), Disney Infinity Star Wars, Yoshi's Wooly World, Minecraft (my nephew is absolutely crazy about Minecraft), Mario Maker and, of course, Mario Kart 8 which is fun for the entire family, from the youngest to grown-ups.

What's also a bonus is the fact that the console is compatible with all Wii games (you just need the sensor bar and Wii controllers Wiimote and Nunchuk), and there is a really large library with party and children games and really great Nintendo classics like Zelda and Mario.

I also own a Wii U, currently I'm enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles X. In addition, there is Zombi U and Monster Hunter Ultimate for more experienced gamers. You definitely need a pro controller as an addition to the game pad, so that two players can play together.

In my opinion, the Wii U is a perfect second console and a great addition to a XBox One / PS4. If you are looking for a console especially for kids, Wii U certainly isn't a bad choice.

www.homefrontcenter.de

Bison

I went to a couple of stores just to price out a system and I think I'm in sticker price shock.  I knew how much the system runs, but it the accessories and games that really start to run up the cost. 

OJsDad

Right after Christmas GameStop was running a Buy 2 Get 1 Free on used games.  It was a way to get some more games pretty cheap.

I won't let J get any M rated games, much to his disappointment.  But we've already got a collection of about 8 games.  So there are a lot available, may just have to look a little harder.  We got games like Disney Infinity, Need for Speed, Monopoly, a couple of Lego games, older version of Basketball, Farm Simulator 2015.

One other thing.  We put batteries in the Xbox controllers on Christmas morning, and haven't had to change them yet.  It seemed like the Wii controllers ate batteries as a snack at times. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

Are you all running off of WiFi or hard line?

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on January 15, 2016, 07:43:17 PM
Are you all running off of WiFi or hard line?

Hard line for me. I always felt there was way too much data for Wi-Fi but maybe modern hubs can handle it...

OJsDad

I'm running WiFi.  However, my internet is DSL, and only at 1.1mb.  It's all I can get without going to a cell service.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Bison

OK.  Well here is where I'm at with my decision making process (thank you all for hanging in there with my console quest).

I'd like to do multiplayer in a shooter for some quick fun, but I want to not be forced into a hard line just because of how the cable line is set up in the house.  It'd could be an expensive pain in the ass to run a new cable and running a free cable across the living room isn't an option with infant twins.

My understanding is that the Xbox has a faster wifi modem than the PS4, which should make online gaming better.  I'm just not sure since I play my PC hard wired.

I do like the Xbox's multimedia platform.  I don't have cable so Netflix and web based news/sports is all I use.

I think graphics wise no question PS4 has better hardware, but is it really that noticeable from 8' away? 

MetalDog

My 360 is run through the wifi.  Works like a champ.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

Just buy the PS4 for Chrissake! 😜
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on January 15, 2016, 09:33:48 PM
My 360 is run through the wifi.  Works like a champ.
+1. Have always run my Xbox consoles through wifi. No problems.

Bison

I know but now I'm leaning toward the Xbox One /la sigh/ If they had a baseball game life would be so much easier to make this decision.

I actually found several cart style racing games for the xbox one.  It literally took hours of youtube and web searching to find the games.

Beach Buggy Racing and Super Toy Cars.  It looks like they are only available through download and at least on the xbox site it comes up in pounds.  So maybe they are only available in England?

Hiimori

I'm running both the PS4 and the Wii U through the Wifi (I have DSL 16000).

Online shooters on PS4 (Battlefield, Destiny, Call of Duty) run smoothly. I don't think the Wifi adapter is inferior to the XBox One Wifi adapter, playing online via Wifi works fine for me.

www.homefrontcenter.de