Main Menu

Chili

Started by airboy, January 06, 2019, 09:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

This recipe was tinkered with over a 20 year time frame.  Everyone likes it.  It has been served to guests, extended family and scores of meals at poker games.

¾ cup chopped celery
¾ cup chopped onion
¾ cup chopped carrot
2 to 3 tablespoons minced garlic
¼ cup of olive oil
1& ½ tablespoons chili powder (or more to taste)
¾ teaspoon dried thyme
¾ teaspoon dried oregano
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
¾ teaspoon cracked black pepper
¼ to ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
3 (14 & ½ ounce) cans ready to serve chicken broth (add half initially then add what you need for the
thickness of the chili you desire).
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste

1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (15 ounce) can Great Northern beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (17 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained and rinsed)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans of diced/stewed tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes with chilis (rotel)

Cook the first 3 ingredients in olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat stirring constantly until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook another 1 minute. 

Add chili powder and next five ingredients.  Cook 2 minutes stirring occasionally.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Stir in tomato paste and remainder of ingredients.  Reduce heat and simmer.  It will be ready in 10 minutes.  We usually simmer for an hour or more to better blend the flavors.

You can add a ½ pound to a pound of browned, ground meat (we use cow or bambi). 

To adjust thickness or add to the quantity you can add more chicken broth, beans or tomatoes. 

Con

I see retiring has really allowed you to branch out the scope of the topics you are posting- I await the next installment with curiosity

Staggerwing

Can scrapbooking and scoring for the theremin be far off?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys