New Weekly Column - "What's Gus Playing (This Week)?"

Started by bayonetbrant, October 02, 2017, 08:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Nice alliteration at the top.  O0 

Man, Hellblade definitely looks/sounds like it's an...interesting game.  Not sure if it's for me, but it's fascinating reading your take on it, Gus
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Thanks Martok. l know a lot of guys here enjoy Celtic/Viking/Druid history. And clearly that's a huge component of Hellblade. But an equally big part of it is the psychogical side and I am not sure how many would enjoy that aspect. It is very disturbing. Plus it is very unforgiving and dfficult. It does keep drawing me back though. Other similarly themed games seem cartoony by comparison. Very dark stuff.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I didn't think the Bomb-Cyclone could slow down our Gus. He plays for us through thick and thin. Great write-up but this game's clearly not for me. If I want dark and disturbing, I'll clean out my bedroom closet. Thanks for taking the trip for us Gus.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

That's why they pay me the big bucks. Pains me to say it but if you think just my quick write up is too much for you...definitely stay away. Looking forward to what Ninja Theory is doing next, though. Hellblade is pretty much a dark, kick ass masterpiece.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Gus (or anyone else interested), you might check out The Suffering. It's on GOG right now and is a terrific horror-themed game, though by now it's a bit dated. I reviewed it back at WG.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Pics are gone, but here's the link: http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/the-suffering/

Also a video:

The really cool thing about this is, you can guide the character to make decisions that determined whether or not you were truly guilty of the crime you were put away for.

Emeraldlis

I really liked the article Gus  O0 I'm definitely into that kind of history in the game. The game is probably a head trip that I'd sooner not take though! But I can appreciate the game designers trying to get us to see a different, interesting point of view. I'd love to have a try of a similar game, that's just not so trippy. I thought the length of the article was great :) But that's just me, these days I seem to only have the patience for short and snappy articles. I'm sure other guys around here don't mind reading much longer articles :) And to be honest, on a good day, when I can concentrate, I like reading the longer articles too  O0

I enjoyed the read though :) Great review  O0
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Gusington

Thanks! It's definitely Trippy, in a very dark way.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

OK, it's out there - I'm running out of alliterative ideas...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

Very nice Gus. That Vikings reminds me a lot of Pillars of Eternity, the look is similar. Enjoyed the article.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Thanks Slash. Expedition: Vikings compared to Pillars of Eternity...never really thought of that. I suppose they are kinda similar. Combat is better in Pillars, I have to say.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd