The painting urge is strong - cannot resist

Started by undercovergeek, December 12, 2017, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

I have to hold my hands up and hope to God there is only me like this - about every 3 years i buy the GW painting guide, some models, a load of paint an army book and start painting a vanilla regiment from the Warhammer game - so far, Dwarfs, Undead and Wood Elves - i paint probably 75% of the unit, 15 figures out of 20, stop, get a reality check, scoop it all up and throw it in the bin - i dont game, i just like the models and the painting but would probably game if i didnt have to put up with the standard GW gamer and so i think the incentive and interest wears off once i realise these models however awesome theyll look are never going to see a table top and a handful of dice

Dont get me wrong, doesnt have to be GW and if there were some other models out there that took my fancy id be right there, and with a more adult crowd and not the 'i saw my teacher today, and i was like, i so wish i could stab him with the dagger of doom, with no armour saves, and then cast him to hell with the cloak of vengeful asshole blah blah blah'

BUT - i came across a guy on youtube who paints only with washes and inks, the figures look great and take about 15 minutes to do instead of my standard 2 hours each, no matter what the guides say. The big barrier to cross everytime is the cost but with just inks its not nearly as painful

and the Skaven Stormvermin look awesome

Sob

Barthheart

undercovergeek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs9_9Nf4hXI

this is his intro video but you can see on the sidebar more links to individual figures and other units

Barthheart

Thanks.... might be just what I need to get back to painting the 140 odd figures from MERCS:Recon I KS'd two years ago....  :buck2:

undercovergeek

theres nothing professional about the set up at all, its him, his front room and a web cam by the looks of it - hardly anything is filmed in focus but atthe end of each session there are stills taken with a proper camera and you can see the results

basically prime in white, start light and work to dark using 2 - 3 inks - all the highlighting and shadow work is done by the inks so those cool White Dwarf shots with all the highlighting done by the studio that far surpasses anything one could hope to create is done for you

GDS_Starfury

I feel safer with Barth painting minis then with him creating black holes and colliding atoms and shit.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bbmike

I already bought paint. I'm not going to buy washes and ink.  :cowboy:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

undercovergeek

Holy crap - what a can of worms I've opened here!

Spent a good 2 hours watching videos for painting, picked my WHFB regiment to start painting, a list of inks - only to find out WHFB isn't supported anymore - forgot all about Age of Sigmar

But it's just for the joy of painting right? Not really

I really wanted to paint and then join a club locally and game with my miniature works of art......

So I joined a club and will be going next Tuesday for a look round, it's their Christmas party but everyone's welcome and I'll get to see some of the games on display. Chatting on FB It would appear the two big games are bolt action and 40k and then x wing, loads and loads of other scary stuff going back to romans and black powder, some leagues and some competitions. Then some guy said try malifaux when you come, a kind of necromunda but not GW, and then there's necromunda, and blood bowl, and frost grave!!!!!

So whilst my mind is full of army lists and gang lists and squad lists I'm going to start with a small British para squad for bolt action and will be hitting the shopping cart later - wish me luck

Bison

Quote from: bbmike on December 12, 2017, 06:14:06 PM

You will.   Washes are a godsend to minis painters.

bbmike

Make Wash Flow Evenly to Avoid Rings

The surface tension of the diluted paint can cause diluted paint washes to dry unevenly, leaving rings of paint or splotchiness. It's like when you wash and wax your car. Water beads into droplets. As it dries, if there is any dirt in the water, it leaves small rings when it dries. Diluted paint acts the same way. To break up the surface tension, simply add a drop or two of dish soap into your brush washing container and use this to water down your paint used for washes.

^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

I've done home brew washes but the consistency of a manufactored wash is just better.

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

The best washes are Games workshop imho.  Vallejo are decent but can suffer from drying rings at times.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on December 16, 2017, 10:25:01 AM
Quote from: bbmike on December 12, 2017, 06:14:06 PM

You will.   Washes are a godsend to minis painters.

Yup.

Hell, if he wanted to use the All Ink & Wash method, he could still use his regular paints and just get a bottle of medium/thinner to mix with his regular paints and thin them way down to the same levels.

I picked up a bottle of the same company's Medium to essentially turn any of mine into an ink when needed.  :)

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.