Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 05, 2018, 05:03:01 PM
JH - have you fired this up recently? Does it run ok?

It's very laggy for me. An awful lot of stuttering going on.

I did suffer this previously, but that was when I had 8GB of RAM and a 3GB graphics card. I've now got 16GB of RAM and an 8GB 1070Ti.

I don't understand why the lag has got worse.

I ran it yesterday, but I was just screwing around in one of my hangers. I get some bad CPU spikes in the PU on occasion, but overall am fortunate to get reasonable framerates. You aren't alone though. Many people get very bad lag and the impression overall is that 3.0 is very poorly optimized. There are some tips, tricks and hacks to improve performance that I might consider if I found it necessary, but I get pretty serviceable performance generally. I have 32GB of RAM and a 1080Ti...perhaps that makes a difference?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Ok - thanks.

I'll let it settle for a while. It does seem to be CPU. They are running full pelt (I only have an i5 mind). Graphics card is not being taxed at all that I can tell and RAM is at 12GB (similar usage to DCS)

Mind you - 32GB of RAM sounds sweet  O0

This is how I'm suffering at the mo

I think I'll move to ARMA III which looks absolutely stunning with my new 1070 and extra 8GB and runs sweet as and pop back later to see how this is going.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Hey JH

Can you tell me what you do when you jump into this?

I've just seen another email (I get those weekly - they seem regular) and this one is talking about new flyables...but my beef currently is I'm not sure there's a whole lot to do in the game. Whenever I log into the game, I jump in the ship and take off but there's nothing to do.

I understand it's in alpha - but adding new flyables when the game is so sparse seems, well...wrong. New flyables will get revenue in, but they've had a shit ton of money through their kickstarter.

So all I'm kind of asking is what do you do in game? Maybe I'm not looking hard enough for things to do.

O0
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

JD...are you playing the PU, or are you just loading up a ship in Arena Commander and running free flight?

I haven't spent a lot of time running 3.1 PTU yet, but in 3.0 in the PU, there were many scripted missions, as well as other missions available through NPCs, particularly, two individuals named Ruto and Miles Eckhart. You have to complete a couple of the scripted missions before Ruto or Miles contact you.

The missions are limited to combat, search and cargo pretty much, but  I believe the June update will add mining and salvage ops.

Truthfully, I don't spend a lot of time with the missions. I pretty much fly to planets/moons, land and explore. Its magnificent every time.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 24, 2018, 06:16:21 AM
JD...are you playing the PU, or are you just loading up a ship in Arena Commander and running free flight?

I haven't spent a lot of time running 3.1 PTU yet, but in 3.0 in the PU, there were many scripted missions, as well as other missions available through NPCs, particularly, two individuals named Ruto and Miles Eckhart. You have to complete a couple of the scripted missions before Ruto or Miles contact you.

The missions are limited to combat, search and cargo pretty much, but  I believe the June update will add mining and salvage ops.

Truthfully, I don't spend a lot of time with the missions. I pretty much fly to planets/moons, land and explore. Its magnificent every time.
Thanks JH. I'll check. I'll be honest - I'm not sure. I know I start in a bed and go and pick up my ship. IIRC there are some "shops" to buy stuff - but I don't think I had any money to buy anything.

Maybe I've just got to get off the landing pad and go explore. I'll give it another look - branch out a bit and report back.

Cheers
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Don't forget to open your mobi glass. The scripted missions are available through there. You can search through them and accept them like contracts.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Well...oddly I can't get out the room. When I go to the door, the OPEN button on the door highlights, but no matter where I look, there's no cursor and nothing I do opens the door.

I had a similar issue a while back whee I couldn't get into my Aurora. That time, I managed to get out the room, collect my ship and go to the landing pad...but no matter where I looked, the cursor would not change and no text showed to enter the ship. People replied here that I just had to click - but the "sweet spot" for getting into the ship wasn't occurring.

Seems to be the same with the door now.

If I do manage to get out the room, I'll check the mobi thingumybob  O0

Also - just even in the room, the framerate has taken a huge dive. I see they are looking to address that
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Weird...really bad luck. I guess it is an alpha, afterall.  :-\
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

^No...I'm sure you're not. A lot of people are having various problems. I thought 3.0 was very rough when it was first released to PTU. I was extremely disappointed by the state of the game, but its improved a lot and 3.1 is another big step forward.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Dammit. Press the F key and the context menu shows. I recall that confusing me the last time I played. Sorry. I was sure you used to just point at the item and the context menu displayed.  :hide:
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Yup. 'F' is for focus.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Was just playing around in Arena Commander doing some dogfights and had a lot of fun. Combat is starting to really feel good and is striking an appropriate balance between hardcore space flight and something a little more arcade-like. In the PU, I typically try to avoid combat because I don't really know what I'm doing, but once I get comfortable with my HOTAS and keybind settings and all the radar, targeting, power management and weaponry systems in Arena Commander, I don't think I'll be as shy anymore in the PU. For me, the latest build of the PTU (3.1.i) is running very well.

JD, I'm in the first wave of PTU testers so I've had 3.1 for almost 2 weeks. It should be released to subsequent waves of testers starting today or tomorrow. As soon as it is released, I highly recommend you upgrade, if you haven't already. There are tons of bug fixes and a lot of optimization. Also, the beacon system has been implemented. This is another method of obtaining missions and finding stuff to do.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Cheers JH - I'll have a look
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Alpha 3.1 is now open for everyone on PTU. Remember, this is PTU only, not live release, so you have to DL the PTU client separately.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog