Origins 2017 (June 14-18), Columbus OH

Started by bayonetbrant, June 24, 2016, 08:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

GH event schedule, in a sortable table

http://grogheads.com/?p=14199

Yes, we're nuts

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

I need to finalize what I want to register for.  Lots of Call of Cthulhu probably.

stahlnee

Last time I went to Origins was 20+ years ago. I decided to attend again this year and have purchased a badge and origins university ribbon (what used to be the War College Ribbon?).

On Friday I would to attend the following:
Winning the Innovation Race 12-1pm
Increasing the military effectiveness of defense wargaming 1-2pm

On Saturday I want to attend and play in the following:
Operation Market Garden - an achievable opportunity lost 3-4pm
Operation Market Garden - an achievable opportunity lost - game 4-8pm

I also plan on stopping by and participating in other activities over the weekend.

Questions:
1 - Does the university ribbon do anything for me?
2 - Do I need to register or bring generic tickets for the four events I listed above?

Thank you,
Edwin

bayonetbrant

Quote from: stahlnee on April 30, 2017, 06:18:56 PM
Last time I went to Origins was 20+ years ago. I decided to attend again this year and have purchased a badge and origins university ribbon (what used to be the War College Ribbon?).

It's not that the War College ribbon was directly discontinued, but rather the seminars were folded into the wider seminar programs already run by Origins. We can debate all day whether or not that was the right move (many affiliated with the War College do not think so) but that was the decision GAMA made - all seminars are to be treated equally, and there would be no 'special' identifier for the War College any more.

Quote from: stahlnee on April 30, 2017, 06:18:56 PM
On Friday I would to attend the following:
Winning the Innovation Race 12-1pm
Increasing the military effectiveness of defense wargaming 1-2pm

On Saturday I want to attend and play in the following:
Operation Market Garden - an achievable opportunity lost 3-4pm
Operation Market Garden - an achievable opportunity lost - game 4-8pm
Those sound pretty cool :)

Quote from: stahlnee on April 30, 2017, 06:18:56 PMI also plan on stopping by and participating in other activities over the weekend.
To make it easier for you, our schedule is here
http://grogheads.com/?p=14199

If you've never done one, make sure you participate in at least 1 of the Command Post Wargames

Quote from: stahlnee on April 30, 2017, 06:18:56 PMQuestions:
1 - Does the university ribbon do anything for me?
Yes, it gets you into any event identified as part of Origins University, for free, without registering for is separately or using generic tokens to attend.

Quote from: stahlnee on April 30, 2017, 06:18:56 PM2 - Do I need to register or bring generic tickets for the four events I listed above?
Nope, not if you have the ribbon.  But I would double-check for the Market Garden game on Saturday and see what the seat limit is.

stahlnee

Thank you for the answers to my questions.

The Market Garden game on Saturday list a seat limit of 50.

On the schedule is a number of variations of the NSDMG. Are these also covered by the university ribbon or do I need to get tickets individual for those games?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: stahlnee on April 30, 2017, 07:29:39 PMOn the schedule is a number of variations of the NSDMG. Are these also covered by the university ribbon or do I need to get tickets individual for those games?

I don't know.
They weren't covered under the War College Ribbon, so I doubt it would be now.

stahlnee

stahlnee

General question after looking at the Origins 2016 thread.

How does one go about getting a Groghead Shirt in triple gamer size (3XL).?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: stahlnee on May 01, 2017, 10:42:18 PMHow does one go about getting a Groghead Shirt in triple gamer size (3XL).?

The black-and-gold shirts are the staff shirts for the booth crew, but there's plenty of GH merchandise you can pick up here:
http://www.cafepress.com/grogheads

stahlnee

Cool. Cool. Thank you for all of the help.

Really looking forward to attending Origins again!

airboy

Event Registration opens tomorrow.  Be interesting to see how it goes. :-\

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on May 02, 2017, 08:44:04 PM
Event Registration opens tomorrow.  Be interesting to see how it goes. :-\

it's basically a 12-hour DDOS Attack

bbmike

Here's what I signed up for (Early Bird badge registration!):

Friday June 16, 2017
GrogHeads Presents: Fields of Despair 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Star Trek Adventures RPG 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Saturday June 17, 2017
1754 Conquest - The French and Indian War 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
GrogHeads Presents: Lock'n'Load Tactical 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Mike, you gotta get into one of the CPXs!