What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

I hope you're right and Winds of Winter comes out soon. According to Wikipedia, it has been over five years since A Dance with Dragons was released. His schedule must be pretty full with movies, games, ball games, book signings, etc., going on. He must not have much time left for writing.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

BanzaiCat

Plus Martin is almost 70 and severely overweight. He's about due for a 'death juuuuust before finishing the last book' kind of womp-wommmmp fan event.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

GRRM dropping dead might be the best thing to happen for his series -- WoT fans basically agree the final three books are a solid and worthwhile finale, but I don't think many of us would have confidence they'd have been that good with Robert Jordan himself writing them. Knife of Dreams (Book 11) was a major improvement and generally a good return to form, but still showed signs that RJ might yet return to meandering bloat. A talented journeyman who loves the series and who is dedicated to finishing out strong, could very well be the way for ASoIaF to putt home.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Just re-read Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist. Such a great book and an easy read. Got through it in a couple days. Probably end up reading the series again now.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on January 19, 2017, 03:38:45 PM
Just re-read Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist. Such a great book and an easy read. Got through it in a couple days. Probably end up reading the series again now.

Some of my all time favorite books, mirth.  And they were based off his home brew D&D campaign.  I  re-read them a couple of years ago.  Always enjoy them.

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 19, 2017, 03:32:52 PM
GRRM dropping dead might be the best thing to happen for his series -- WoT fans basically agree the final three books are a solid and worthwhile finale, but I don't think many of us would have confidence they'd have been that good with Robert Jordan himself writing them. Knife of Dreams (Book 11) was a major improvement and generally a good return to form, but still showed signs that RJ might yet return to meandering bloat. A talented journeyman who loves the series and who is dedicated to finishing out strong, could very well be the way for ASoIaF to putt home.

Ahhhhhh, Jason.  Here we are again.  While I agree that getting the books out faster and with less bloat than Jordan helped get them out in a more timely manner, WoT went off the rails back around book....1?  Or 2 maybe?  I would like to speak up for the trees that were murdered to print that verbose shite.  They aren't coming back and being dead didn't help make the series any better.  Summing up: I disagree with your assertion that death may help Martin's series.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

egg_salad

I loved these books too.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

OJsDad

Just finished The Final Day.  It the third book that started with One Second After by William Forstchen.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: OJsDad on January 19, 2017, 10:54:04 PM
Just finished The Final Day.  It the third book that started with One Second After by William Forstchen.

I might try to read that again. I do enjoy a good post-apocalyptic novel. Can't recall why I stopped reading it the first time.

mirth

Quote from: MetalDog on January 19, 2017, 06:19:29 PM
Some of my all time favorite books, mirth.  And they were based off his home brew D&D campaign.  I  re-read them a couple of years ago.  Always enjoy them.

Yeah, I knew that. Pretty cool.

A lot of his ideas for Kelewan and the Tsurani came from this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_of_the_Petal_Throne
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Dammit Carl!

The Order of the Death's Head: The Story of Hitler's SS by Heinz Höhne.

Interesting but dreadfully, tear-jerkingly dry.

bbmike

Never heard of it. I was pretty much anti-fantasy books in high school/college. But a main character named Pug? I think I might read this.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JasonPratt

Quote from: MetalDog on January 19, 2017, 06:19:29 PM
Summing up: I disagree with your assertion that death may help Martin's series.

Well, I suppose it's possible it could help RJ's series and yet not help Martin's -- not much possible to help a festering, throbbing pink tower, yo.  >:D

But for the sake of GRRM's fans I'm willing to hope for the best.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

OJsDad is The Final Day the finale to the series?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Quote from: Gusington on January 20, 2017, 02:17:01 PM
OJsDad is The Final Day the finale to the series?

Yes. I could see where there could be more books set further out, but i think hes told the story he wanted.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.