Dice Discussion

Started by Bison, January 17, 2017, 11:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 19, 2017, 09:27:18 AM
Gamescience is at Origins every year. 
Lou Zocchi is the crotchety old man of the convention and he's an interesting guy to chat with, but good luck disengaging with him after the first 90 minutes of conversation.

So c'mon y'all - you're running out of excuses!

I have issues... :pullhair:

BanzaiCat

Damn. I guess Amazon charges them to list on their site - makes sense, but never really thought about it. So they charge more on Amazon to cover that cost. Durr.

About 20% cheaper, looks like.

I'm tempted to get that orange set too, or a red one, and take a yellow crayon to it so it looks like my first ever set.

Bison

A pretty interesting article if you're a dice geek or statistics nut.  Chessex versus Gamescience randomness test.  These guys rolled two 20 sided dice 10,000 times each to obtain their sample. 

https://www.awesomedice.com/blog/353/d20-dice-randomness-test-chessex-vs-gamescience/

Hehe.  My nerdy dice fetish is now somehow justified.

BanzaiCat

I'll throw a nerd penalty flag in and say that it's not accurate if they rolled by hand. Each roll would have to be the exact same way. There's too many random factors in hand-rolling (positioning, grip, distance, force, etc.) - it would mean each of the 10,000 rolls are different. Definitely randomized I guess, but to me it seems wrong if they're not all rolled in the exact same way each time. And that probably misses the point since people roll with their hands and not using robot arms or whatever.

Bison

Well there are a number of issues, but it's still cool that someone out there loves dice so much as to go through the hassle. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 19, 2017, 12:38:29 PM
A pretty interesting article if you're a dice geek or statistics nut.  Chessex versus Gamescience randomness test.  These guys rolled two 20 sided dice 10,000 times each to obtain their sample. 

https://www.awesomedice.com/blog/353/d20-dice-randomness-test-chessex-vs-gamescience/

Hehe.  My nerdy dice fetish is now somehow justified.

Why would you NOT trim the flash off a precision die?   ::)   I mean.. why test it with the flash still sticking out from the one die face?  *sigh*

Bison

Well Zocchi claimed that a small amount of flash or mold mark didn't have any decernable effect on the randomization of the dice.  It's an odd assertion and agree with you.

mirth

Well, I just did my taxes and, for the first time in years, I owe. So there will not be any fancy dice in my foreseeable future.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 19, 2017, 01:27:32 PM
Well Zocchi claimed that a small amount of flash or mold mark didn't have any decernable effect on the randomization of the dice.  It's an odd assertion and agree with you.

Definitely odd.

A little piece of plastic sticking out from what is supposed to be a very flat face?  Pretty much required to trim that off.  I always took that as a given requirement before usage, along with filling in the digits with color.

Not like it takes more than a minute with an X-acto or small razor.  Despite having a set of jewellers files, for trimming the flash off my minis, I didn't really feel the need to even file it - just lightly trim with aforementioned blades.  *sigh*

Bison

Quote from: mirth on January 19, 2017, 03:33:31 PM
Well, I just did my taxes and, for the first time in years, I owe. So there will not be any fancy dice in my foreseeable future.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bison

My new teal dice were co-opted tonight by the oldest.  /sigh/  I guess I need to buy another set for myself at some point in the future.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 20, 2017, 08:55:12 PM
My new teal dice were co-opted tonight by the oldest.  /sigh/  I guess I need to buy another set for myself at some point in the future.

Mauve or lavender next time, perhaps?    ???

Bison