1830 via Rails

Started by rstites25, October 04, 2016, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstites25

Quote from: l'amour on January 18, 2017, 10:05:39 AM
Rex, I had a feeling you were going to put your shop there. I was regretting not placing over the tile edge.

There weren't a lot of options left. I basically had to go on that half of the board, or else risk you being able to Luxury Manager yourself to an early cash advantage since you'd have no competition over there.

Woodall

I still haven't read the rules, but I figured a central location near the houses and some other colored icons might be a good place.

l'amour

It looks alright to me, matey. Not much drink action but that's ok.

egg_salad

FYI folks, starting this afternoon I will be in a place with really poor internet, if any.  Back Monday.

If you are curious, I will be here, although the weather will likely be complete crap.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Woodall

Made it 3 days before they banned the account. Think that's a new record. Also, I've set notifications on BGC so I won't be the hold up anymore. That falls to Mike now that he's venturing into the real world.

rstites25

Are you permabanned there or something?

Woodall

Yes, which I'm okay with except certain moronic manufacturers use BGG as a file depository.

Woodall

If you have the capability to reverse to my turn, please do so. I didn't want to play my kitchen trainee, obviously.

rstites25

Unfortunately, there's no way to do so.

I don't think it will hurt you much, anyway. Since Mike already has the first-to-train milestone, anyone you trained, you'd have to fire anyway because you don't have any money to pay their salary.

Woodall

Oh, I didn't realize he already had it. Who'd he train?

rstites25

I *think* it was an errand boy.

If you haven't played before, it may not be clear, but because of the sequence of play, you can actually train the person you hired earlier in the round. So last round you should have trained your kitchen trainee after hiring him.

Woodall

Hmm, I guess I didn't see it in the history. I must be confused on the turn structure.

Woodall

Btw, I'm all for playing this thing out and seeing how it all works. But so far it looks like maybe the most boring game I've played in a long while. I mean that in the best way possible.

Woodall

I am 100% sure I wouldn't want to organize those cards on the table IRL though.

rstites25

The first few turns are slow since there's nothing on the board to do. It gets more interesting once marketing campaigns start and you have to start figuring out strategies so that you make the sales. (A combination of marketing so that you can fulfill demand and others cannot and beating the other players on price).

Unfortunately, the game is procedurally front-loaded. You've got to really set up your corporate structure so that you get the milestones you want/achieve and so that you can respond to how other people are playing. It's like Chess in that you can come into a game with an "opening book" and play it without much thought for the first few turns. Unfortunately, that increases the learning curve immensely.

Re: Turn structure. In Phase 3, the first thing you do is "Recruit." The card(s) you recruit are then placed in the stack of cards that are 'at the beach." The second thing you do is to train employees that are "at the beach," which allows you to train what you've just hired.

Another timing thing to keep in mind is that in order to run a marketing campaign, you have to hire a marketing trainee on T(X) then play the marketing trainee on T(x+1) during Phase 3. Then during Phase 4 of T(X+1) existing demand is resolved; notably, your just-played marketing campaign has not run. Finally, during Phase 6 of T(x+1), your marketing campaign is run, thus creating new demand based on your marketing campaign. Then during T(x+2) you finally play the cooks/errand boy necessary to fulfill the demand you've created.

Obviously, you can fulfill demand other than what you create. This is why going last in a round can be really important. If l'amour goes first and puts out a billboard for Pizza, then on your turn, you can buy train a Pizza Cook to play the next round to fulfill the demand he creates at the end of this round. But if he goes after you, you may have to guess at whether he's going to market Pizza, Burgers, or some type of drink.