not a wargame - Pokemon Go

Started by MikeGER, July 14, 2016, 09:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

seems to be the hype of the week all around the globe

Have you been affected? Did you have already seen celluar-zombies stumbling around in your street glued to their screen? or invading your proterty?
Are there even Grogs out on the hunt?
(well only to learn what their teen kids are just doing as the responsible parents that they are... not that they have gotten an itch or something themselves ;) )

personally my phone's (from 2011) Android version is to old to run that free App, go figure!
(otherwise i may have tested it once while on a stroll in my hometown anyway to see what its all about)

so i have to restrain myself to poke a mom (age group)  ^-^

bbmike

It's affected me in that I'm sick of hearing about it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

My kids were playing with it yesterday. Apparently there's a lot of the critters in out neighborhood
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

I would have sure bought Nintendo stock if I had heard it was coming out. Up 25% in a week!

Some of the guys at work have played it, just for the humor of finding things perched on our stuff.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

People ain't paying attention to RL when they are playing, doesn't sound like it'll be long before someone gets themselves killed while playing :-\

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pokemon-players-car-accidents-u-s-article-1.2710266
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

OJsDad

I couple of idiots jumped the fence into the Toledo zoo this morning while playing. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Nefaro

Quote from: MikeGER on July 14, 2016, 09:52:08 AM

so i have to restrain myself to poke a mom (age group)  ^-^

Mike has had the MILF Go app for awhile, I see.   >:D

Dammit Carl!

If I have it right (and without fact checking, which is my m.o.), the game is based of off Niantic's Ingress game - it sounds like it even uses similar sites between the games in different ways; i.e. in Ingress its a Portal, in Pokemon, its a Gym.

Good way to get people out and moving around at least, I guess. 

bbmike

But...they're moving into oncoming traffic.  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: bbmike on July 14, 2016, 05:11:53 PM
But...they're moving into oncoming traffic.  :o

Hey.  Exercise is exercise.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 14, 2016, 05:01:56 PMthe game is based of off Niantic's Ingress game

Same development team that built Ingress...  so, yeah O0
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

SirAndrewD

Even my wife and a very large portion of my fellow late 30 something friends have started chasing these little pokie things.  I didn't get the craze 20 plus years ago, I don't get it now. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MikeGER

i learned so far from other resources: Its not actual a hunt! (which is a pity)

Because everybody does the hunting lost in its very own augmented reality.
So if you get the news about a monster popping up in your vicinity, track it down, and finally spot it on the corner of Elmstreet and Oakstreet, you and only you can see it.
And if it manages to escape down Elmstreet to the corner of Mainstreet it will not magical show up on the screen of a buddy from your hunting party who had established an observation post there.

well there are situations where those different augment realities influence each other.
if you place a "lure-in"-device that action get broadcast and is visible in all instances, but it only affects the general monster spawning frequency at that spot.
If Player A, B and C move to that spot, now for expample player A will see the monster type X on a parkbench and player B will see monster type Y near a trashcan nextby and player C might have to wait some time to see anything at all...  but nobody sees the monsters spawned in the other players world.  There is no competition or teamwork to hunt one

Ive also read now criminals can drop such a "lure in"-device in a remote and dangerous part of the city and know: some daring people with at least a newer brand of smartphone will show up soon and can be mugged. 

steve58

Not sure these kind of lame warnings will protect Niantic when the lawsuits filed by the parents of the dead kids start.
A warning from "Pokemon Go" developer Niantic also pops up every time the app is opened, telling players to aware of their surroundings. Players must also agree to fine print saying they cannot enter private property without permission.

There's also a disclaimer that says Niantic is not liable for any property damage, injuries or deaths that result while playing.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/07/14/death-by-pokemon-public-safety-fears-mount-as-pokemon-go-craze-continues.html

"Pokemon Go" sparked controversy this week when characters in the game appeared in the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and Arlington National Cemetery.

...and this is outrageous.  Surely Niantic can program their damn game to exclude sites like these. >:(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)