No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

I know that trailer. And as I said, it might be that they scripted it together to have something to show instead of waiting for the game generate something interesting. But again, nothing in that trailer seems to be so special that the engine can't come up with something similar. The game is generating that universe and the algorithms are in control of how to shape the planets. You simply can not say "that's never gonna happen" because you don't know and even if it is created in a way similar to the trailer as long as you don't land there you still don't know. Look, the game was rushed out, I was pissed as a day one buyer, there went my 60 bucks and the content was missing. Now they work on the game and it gets the content I wanted. That's fine, but still some miles to go and so one can find many points to criticize the game, but in a universe this huge, generated completely by the game itself when you fire it up and start moving around you can not criticize that you only find boring planets or red ones, or ones that you don't like or not the one you want to find. That's like going into the forest and coming back with a blueberry after an hour...while I am lost for a week in that forest and find stones and sticks and whatnot but not one damn blueberry. Does that mean you cheated me and there's never really a blueberry to find in that forest? If the forest is deep enough and the berry small enough, there's a chance to find one but no guarantee. Anyway, if I find that kind of planet I'll let you know  O:-)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

I don't necessarily disagree with you on the game. Quite frankly, I enjoyed it for what it was, and wasn't really that disappointed by what it was not. Still, I think its pretty well established that the pre-release marketing trailers were disingenuous and misleading. Can it be absolutely proven? Perhaps not, but nobody has seen anything close to what was suggested by those trailers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grimnirsson

QuoteCan it be absolutely proven? Perhaps not, but nobody has seen anything close to what was suggested by those trailers

That's my point, the nature of the game makes this almost impossible to prove, the universe is too big and (especially after the disaster of the launch) there are probably even not enough players to cover enough of this universe to judge the game on this point you brought up. It may be that such a planet does not exist, or there's system with several of them in a row. As long as there are still planets not visited there's no proof for their existence or non-existence, so it's rather mood to use this as a point of criticism against the game - there are other aspects of the game and PR around it better suited for that.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Staggerwing

It seems more a case of that the devs 'sweetened' the algorithm and forced it to create something specific, and the chances of that same exact configuration happening again are not impossible, just highly improbable, akin to the proverbial million monkeys on typewriters. If they could type for all eternity then eventually one will type the complete works of Shakespeare. Shorten the available time or monkeys and the odds against shoot up drastically.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MikeGER

Grimnirsson, well i just asked if they patched-in in the meantime those procedural algorithms that where used to generate the trailers promises of a rich and plausible ecosystems 

I never expected to get exactly the same or even just slightly the same scene...just the crude impression. 
I expected to see a -at first glace (not to hold stand any deeper Attenborough-style analysis)- meaning full and rich (biodiversity) ecosystems that somehow rings plausible with the climatic zones spread over of a given planet.

so you had to have an assortments of plants which seems to be roughly bound to a certain heights level above sea and geographic latitude and the harshness of the planet and its (radiation)type of the sun. so to speak the environment.  you have an assortments of animals (in flocks) who seems to be bound to some plants existence (meant as mayor food source, so you never have to see them really graze) and an assortment of single roaming predators who seems to be preying at those flocks (so you never see one actually kill and feast on one. That would be asking to much)
Its just the question of the number, and selection of the procedures and the conditions they are mutually depending on each other to be set in use.   

MikeGER

a big 4GB patch is out today  :)

time to give it a new glance, i reckon

BanzaiCat

Let us know, Mike. I'm interested in your observations. I figure this game will eventually get to a price point that makes it worth a purchase and will give a dozen or so hours of fun.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 11, 2017, 08:52:49 PM
Let us know, Mike. I'm interested in your observations. I figure this game will eventually get to a price point that makes it worth a purchase and will give a dozen or so hours of fun.

It's on sale 60% off now...only $24...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2017, 05:01:26 AM

Still too rich for my blood.

Toonces

Curious to hear what the latest feedback on this one is.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 12, 2017, 11:16:05 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 12, 2017, 05:01:26 AM

Still too rich for my blood.

I don't understand this logic. $24 is too much for a computer game, or just this particular computer game? I remember paying $50 for games back in the mid 1990's. 

BanzaiCat

This particular computer game.

Plus, money is very tight, which is why I seek alternate routes (e.g. surveys, my company's health benefits, etc.) to buy things.

I'm just of a mind that if I can't get it on super sale, I don't really need it. I have 400-some games on Steam already plus tons of board games. It would have to be a very, very impressive price for me to try it.

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: BanzaiCat on August 12, 2017, 08:29:48 PM
This particular computer game.

Plus, money is very tight, which is why I seek alternate routes (e.g. surveys, my company's health benefits, etc.) to buy things.

I'm just of a mind that if I can't get it on super sale, I don't really need it. I have 400-some games on Steam already plus tons of board games. It would have to be a very, very impressive price for me to try it.

Ok, in that case I can understand that logic.  :)

Toonces

400 games?!  Bruddah, it pains me to say this, but you don't need anymore games.

I realize this is Grogheads heresy.

I stand by my statement.  Man alive, does Jarhead even have 400 games on Steam?   :idiot2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog