New column: Tracer Rounds!

Started by bayonetbrant, January 04, 2016, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

new one was up yesterday for your amusement and/or criticism :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Airborne Rifles

Good stuff Brant. I'm going to steal your ideas for my own classroom methods kit bag  O0.

MetalDog

You said in the article that the fourth use of wargaming, the people weren't being graded on it.  But, there were various foreign nationals in the program.  Is it possible that, while not being graded, their responses were 'filed away for later use?' 

I liked the song.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

bayonetbrant

MetalDog

Nicely done, Brant.  Love Civ, too.  And just about any game that can give me a good Civ 'feeling.'

Martok

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 18, 2016, 03:47:49 PM
New one today
Nice!  I have to ask, though:  Any love for space/fantasy 4x games as well, or are you mostly a sucker for historical 4x titles (ala the Civilization franchise)?  Just curious. 

Of course when it comes to tabletop 4x games, my favorite will probably always be Twilight Imperium, despite its complexity and the ridiculous amount of time it takes to play. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

never been a big sucker for the space games, but I think that's largely from not playing/being exposed to them much.  But I've always been more fantasy/history inclined (in all my gaming) than sci-fi inclined, even tho I read a lot of sci-fi books.

Airborne Rifles

Brant, saw this today about wargaming at the Naval Postgraduate School and thought of your second Tracer Rounds article:

http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2016/01/20/wargaming-is-alive-and-well-at-nps/?platform=hootsuite

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on January 21, 2016, 08:38:46 AM
Brant, saw this today about wargaming at the Naval Postgraduate School and thought of your second Tracer Rounds article:

http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2016/01/20/wargaming-is-alive-and-well-at-nps/?platform=hootsuite

Thanks - I actually know a few of the wargame guys there.  One of them was the S1 in my ARNG BN back in CA.

bayonetbrant

It's Monday.  It's Tracer Rounds.

Barthheart

Ha! Great piece..... that's exactly how I feel when you want me to write a review. I thought it was just me being lazy.  :P

MetalDog

James Sterrett

"Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead."
Gene Fowler