New column: Tracer Rounds!

Started by bayonetbrant, January 04, 2016, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: James Sterrett on January 25, 2016, 08:19:11 PM
"Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead."
Gene Fowler

O0

Double Deuce

So glad I'm not the only one with the Christmas Tree till up . . . .   

Barthheart

Ours came down this past Sunday. O0

bayonetbrant

So is the military serious about the wargaming resurgence?  Hmmmm...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

yes, you have to go to the front page to read today's column.  waaaah.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Interesting article; it's one that I strongly identify with. 

To my complete lack of surprise, I scored an 84 on that Impostor test.  :-\ 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Barthheart

Interesting stuff. I think it changes with age. If I had taken that test in my 30's, even after having had several very different successful jobs, I would have scored much higher than I just did now.... 39.
Turning 50 also gives you a lot of perspective on things. I now know and can accept that I've worked hard to gain all the engineering knowledge that other people/companies want and need.

Still... sometimes when I'm giving a design review talk in front of a bunch of PHD physicists... it's odd to realize that they are hanging on my every word and respect/believe what I'm saying.

But isn't the other side of this conceit? Is someone who scores 20 a conceited basturd?  ???

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on February 09, 2016, 11:19:35 AMIs someone who scores 20 a conceited basturd?  ???

Probably - got anyone specific in mind?  ;)

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 09, 2016, 11:32:19 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on February 09, 2016, 11:19:35 AMIs someone who scores 20 a conceited basturd?  ???

Probably - got anyone specific in mind?  ;)

No one you know..... probably....  ;)

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Boggit

There is always room to learn something new, and never be afraid to take advice. 99% of the time it is well meant, 70% of the time it is on the money but you couldn't see it before it was said... at least in my limited experience. ^-^
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

LongBlade

I think it's funny he invokes my name - it's like he thinks if he writes it often enough I'll appear like Beetlejuice.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Today, we get cultural.  How do your experiences match up?

MetalDog

Awesome column, Brant!  And I liked the video at the end.  Just watched that particular one Saturday morning.  You're spot on about the plot AND the dancing.  That's some great choreography!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Thanks. I'm just glad someone is reading