This Weekend's Review: Compass Games' War in the Wind

Started by bayonetbrant, October 14, 2017, 12:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Interesting review and game mechanics to factor in the terrain and the weather.

How much does the game cost?

BanzaiCat

Brant:

In this para there's a major typo:

QuoteOtSuffice it to say that a Refit Step means none of the following Steps occur, though there's a lot that goes on during this Step, which I'll get into more later.

It's the paragraph just under the Date track.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: airboy on October 14, 2017, 02:50:44 PM
Interesting review and game mechanics to factor in the terrain and the weather.

How much does the game cost?

I think I paid $38 for it off of Walmart.com.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I was looking at 'The Captain Is Dead,' so I wasn't looking for wargames. I searched as an afterthought and was surprised to find Wally.com sells wargames...well, though a secondary seller, but still.

mirth

It's interesting what you can find on different sites.

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on October 14, 2017, 04:05:53 PM
Surprising they're stocking Compass products.

They used to sell my novel, too. Still might for all I know! (...for varying values of the term "sell". ;) I don't think anyone has ever bought one from them, and they don't stock the things.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

I just checked Walmart.com and it looks like Noble Knight Games is one of the resellers so that accounts for at least some of the wargames.

One of the other resellers has OGRE 6th Ed. for $52 US:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ogre-Sixth-Edition-An-exciting-fast-playing-war-game-for-two-players-By-Steve-Jackson-Games/728253797
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

^ Yeesh. It's only $35 now on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jackson-Games-1315SJG-Edition/dp/B01LXKJ4T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508019279&sr=8-1&keywords=ogre+6th+edition

I grabbed it for $27 earlier, so the price varies.

I think Compass's site has War in the Wind for $57 or so.

mirth

Yep. MSRP is $57. Funny how you never have to really pay full MSRP though, with pretty much any company.

JasonPratt

As a publisher, I can tell how that works. Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price basically sets a variable for how much the retailer can keep from the products they sell. I set my book at $25 which is a typical price for a hardcover epic fantasy with a dust jacket, but Amazon only has to pay my distributor half that for any sale. Out of the $12.50, my distributor pays shipping cost (which is better for bulk naturally to Amazon for stock, assuming Amazon orders to keep stock -- they don't always do that but they want the option), sales taxes as appropriate, and their own cut for profit (from which they then pay various other taxes related to businesses). I get $6.50, if I recall correctly (it might be $8, I don't recall exactly. I don't get enough sales to remember. ;) ) From that I pay my own income taxes as appropriate. If someone else had written the book, or if I had a staff, I'd pay a certain percentage from that $6.50, after taxes, as royalties to the author, etc. Amazon gets permission to charge up to $25 per book, and so they can keep up to $12.50, but they can discount up to 49% and still make some kind of profit on it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, back on topic: I love the Thousand Mile War, and I'm glad to see a decent system gaming it!  O0

BanzaiCat

It's VERY decent. Very easy to get in to. As I said in the review, though, I'd buy it with an eye on playing it solo rather than two-player. You can do the latter, but the system is very much conducive to solitaire play.