Rise of Flight - Flying Circus Vol. 1 EA now available

Started by Jarhead0331, July 30, 2018, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

Woff seems pretty random generator to me too, there's just nice menu screens and music that add to the immersion.  BOB WOV and falcon are the ones that truly have the war environment going on around the clock.  Both woff and IL2 BOX, the frontlines are fixed historically and move as they did historically.  Nothing you do can change the next mission, you just stay alive and keep your wing man alive.  If you look closely at the IL2 sp campaign that was updated/ redone with the kuban installment, it has all the same stuff as woff. 

Jarhead0331

I've put some research into Flying Circus and it appears to be built in a totallly different engine than ROF, so my initial point still stands. Why shouldn't they charge for a new game just because you already have a totally different game that was released nearly 10 years ago 2009?

People who sell stuff are gonna sell, no?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Heavily leaning towards WOFF Ultimate, even though I have bought older iterations of it. 29.00 for the whole damned collection is a steal.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2018, 07:17:34 AM
I've put some research into Flying Circus and it appears to be built in a totallly different engine than ROF, so my initial point still stands. Why shouldn't they charge for a new game just because you already have a totally different game that was released nearly 10 years ago 2009?

I read that IL-2BOS is a modified version of the ROF engine, a derivative. 

Now they're using that IL2BOS engine to update the ROF content to a new release.  The circle is complete, I suppose.

While I appreciate them upgrading graphics and some odds & ends, I'm not terribly enticed.  Especially when I also hear rumors of the Flying Circus aircraft having the exact same flight models as those in ROF.  Dunno how much copypasta went on, but I'll wait out the long marketing game.  May as well get more IL2BOS and DCS.  *shrug*

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2018, 05:59:53 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2018, 07:17:34 AM

I read that IL-2BOS is a modified version of the ROF engine, a derivative. 

Now they're using that IL2BOS engine to update the ROF content to a new release.  The circle is complete, I suppose.

While I appreciate them upgrading graphics and some odds & ends, I'm not terribly enticed.  Especially when I also hear rumors of the Flying Circus aircraft having the exact same flight models as those in ROF.  Dunno how much copypasta went on, but I'll wait out the long marketing game.  May as well get more IL2BOS and DCS.  *shrug*

Indeed, well I'm playing Rof these days and eventually I'll get FC if only for the terrain graphics.

Nefaro

I hope they at least improve the damage modelling from where it was left in ROF.

Last I checked, you pretty much had to hold down the trigger, and shoot all the bullets to saw through a specific part of a wing, before one would reliably go down.

Pilots taking four high caliber rounds through the back and all they get is blurry vision, but still flying.  Engines still running while riddled with holes and having lost their oil.  It was a bit excessive.  :crazy2:

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 22, 2018, 12:55:43 PM
I hope they at least improve the damage modelling from where it was left in ROF.

Last I checked, you pretty much had to hold down the trigger, and shoot all the bullets to saw through a specific part of a wing, before one would reliably go down.

Pilots taking four high caliber rounds through the back and all they get is blurry vision, but still flying.  Engines still running while riddled with holes and having lost their oil.  It was a bit excessive.  :crazy2:

In my recent experience it is pretty uneven or even inexplicable.  Sometimes planes come apart in mid-air right away and sometimes nothing seems to harm them much.  Which is within the kind of odd range of historical reality, but probably not because damage is particularly well modeled.  There seem to be critical hits (eg, Engine on fire or wing falls off), but otherwise it is hard to see what is happening exactly.

Jarhead0331

^that all sounds very logical and authentic to me. Not being an expert on this particular era of flight (or any really for that matter) my understanding is that these things were made mostly of wood, canvas and cloth. This being the case, other than those obvious catastrophic results of damage, the vast majority of impacts would pass straight through the aircraft without leaving much more than a simple hole. This would be difficult to see while in flight, and wouldn't be obvious until landing and inspection...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2018, 08:23:13 AM
^that all sounds very logical and authentic to me. Not being an expert on this particular era of flight (or any really for that matter) my understanding is that these things were made mostly of wood, canvas and cloth. This being the case, other than those obvious catastrophic results of damage, the vast majority of impacts would pass straight through the aircraft without leaving much more than a simple hole. This would be difficult to see while in flight, and wouldn't be obvious until landing and inspection...

Yes, the RoF damage model represents reality pretty well.  The FE-b-d (the two-seater with the huge pusher engine) is nearly impossible to shoot down if it stays roughly in formation.  You can't hit the crew from behind and the engine is more or less a huge chunk of armor.  The Albatross will fall apart or catch fire unpredictably.  Other than that, most planes can be shot full of holes and keep going.   Which seems to reflect reality.

Gusington

About to buy WOFF Ultimate. I can't wait any longer :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on November 23, 2018, 12:23:42 AM

In my recent experience it is pretty uneven or even inexplicable.  Sometimes planes come apart in mid-air right away and sometimes nothing seems to harm them much.  Which is within the kind of odd range of historical reality, but probably not because damage is particularly well modeled.  There seem to be critical hits (eg, Engine on fire or wing falls off), but otherwise it is hard to see what is happening exactly.

That was another thing... I don't recall ROF aircraft catching fire.  It was a regular historical reality, and one pilots greatly feared, but just wasn't done properly in ROF.

While ROF's damage modelling generally looked good, it was a terrible mechanical representation.  I still loved the game but the damage system was borked.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 25, 2018, 05:31:11 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 23, 2018, 12:23:42 AM

That was another thing... I don't recall ROF aircraft catching fire.  It was a regular historical reality, and one pilots greatly feared, but just wasn't done properly in ROF.

While ROF's damage modelling generally looked good, it was a terrible mechanical representation.  I still loved the game but the damage system was borked.

They do catch fire these days.

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 23, 2018, 08:23:13 AM

Yes, bullets often passed straight through canvas without doing much.  Although that also made it far easier to strike critical components throughout the craft, including the pilot, the engine, control wires, essential structural supports which weren't exactly heavy duty (wood/pipes), and what pilots worried excessively about - the fuel lines.  The latter of which could be lumped in with the fear of fires since the tanks & lines were usually situated around the cockpit, would leak easily and profusely onto the pilot and cockpit when struck - worse if sparked up. 

Having to use a machinegun to saw through a wing, as if using a water jet cutter, as the primary way to down an aircraft was just bad modeling.  Especially since all the memoirs I've read, written by WW1 aces, mention their aiming directly at the enemy crew in order to take them down as quickly as possible.  Which also made it more likely to hit the engine and/or fuel.. almost as good.

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on November 25, 2018, 05:40:28 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 25, 2018, 05:31:11 PM

They do catch fire these days.

That's good.

I vaguely remember it happening years ago, but it seemed very rare at the time.

Yskonyn

Does WOFF (the latest greatest iteration) still need you to have CFS3 ?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."