Ghost Recon Wildlands

Started by JudgeDredd, June 22, 2015, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

well, i will be the odd ball...i enjoyed it for what it was...never had any notion it was going to be a game changer.

Huw the Poo

Same here, Grim.  I bought it on the PS4 fully aware that it was "just" an open-world shooter.  It does what it does superbly.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yskonyn

In essence all the Assassin's Creed, FarCry, Division, Wildlands are all the same thing with a different flavour and some variants on how gear and stats are managed, but the concept remains the same just in a different sauce.

Not to say I don't enjoy them, cause I do, but thinking about it I have come to conclude that there's a TON of those games out there.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 16, 2018, 06:47:14 PM
Not to say I don't enjoy them, cause I do, but thinking about it I have come to conclude that there's a TON of those games out there.

Yeah.  It's getting the "wheat from the chaff," with all these sorts of games that is the hard part.

demjansk1942

You got that right, I bought Battlefield 5 on Saturday, and I am saying to myself, same ole thing again.  Maybe, old age is causing me to move away from FPS games.

Jarhead0331

So the optical camo is aesthetic only. It doesn't seem to do anything for stealth or concealment. Ridiculous...

Well, back to playing Future Soldier.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/200008/ghost-recon-breakpoint-an-epic-games-store-exclusive

Today Ubisoft announced Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon© Breakpoint, the latest installment in the Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon franchise, will be available October 4 on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X, and Windows PC.

The Epic Games Store now offers preorders of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Ubisoft's just-announced military shooter sequel. This reveals an increasing familiar scenario where the game will be exclusive to Epic's store and Uplay. PCGamesN has a confirmation of this from Ubisoft, noting it isn't a huge surprise following how Ubisoft stopped selling Anno 1800 and The Division 2 on Steam to make both games EGS exclusives. The standard edition of Breakpoint is listed at $59.99 USD, so consumers are yet to see any trickle down benefit from the discounted royalty structure that's behind such exclusives.

Huw the Poo

I'm on board.  Wildlands is a very good game; more of the same is OK with me.

Dammit Carl!

Dunno.  YouTube has Breakpoint as a more "survival-ly," sort of game rather than a straight up shooter, so pass for me.  I've enough of those games in stock. 

Jarhead0331

I'll definitely get it, of course, but I was hoping for something closer to the Ghost Recon of the golden era of tactical gaming...although they claim Breaking Point was made with the close consultation of a Green Beret, the only thing that appears to be authentic about it is the heavy beard of the lead protagonist.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 10, 2019, 01:24:35 PM
but I was hoping for something closer to the Ghost Recon of the golden era of tactical gaming...

I think you're better off holding out for Half-Life 3, or maybe preordering All American: The 82nd in Normandy...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Wow. NO AI TEAMMATES in Breakpoint. It is a totally solo/lonewolf experience in single player. The only way to get a squad is to play co-op. Terrible.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Interesting but I'll reserve judgement for now.  Presumably the game will be viable solo - Ubi must know they'd severely hurt sales otherwise.

I can't imagine playing Wildlands without a squad, but Breakpoint is a different game.  We'll see.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 12, 2019, 09:27:50 AM
Wow. NO AI TEAMMATES in Breakpoint. It is a totally solo/lonewolf experience in single player. The only way to get a squad is to play co-op. Terrible.

wow...then I am out of this series....

JasonPratt

I'm okay either way, as long as the game is designed to work.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!