Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Tripoli's Militarists, and then I.I.'s Aristocrats, vote for I.I.'s Proposal. Let me tally things carefully here.

-70 votes going into the final two Factions. A neutral 0 vote won't win -- it does for Acquitting Accused senators, but not for passing Proposals. I.I. needs a net vote of at least +1.

Julius votes Ora +3 and knights +5. Net -62.

Manlius and his knights are out of Rome and cannot vote.

Aelius votes Ora +4 and bribes +7 (3 Talents remaining). Net -51.

I.I., by the way, remembered that bribes were used to buy votes in an earlier surprise outcome, and checked with me to make sure this was legal in the current situation, which it is. This is why he was careful to put himself and Tripoli last in the voting order, so that when they started bribing votes it wouldn't remind the other Players that this was a thing that can be done (using personal cash, not Faction cash.)

The Aristocrats knights trigger their activist x2 voting, due to the Aristocrats being currently the total Influence leader. (Tripoli doesn't get activist knights; his knights buff headquarter capabilities instead.)

Faction Leader Quinctius votes +2 Ora +3 knights +3 activist and +5 bribes. Net -38 votes. (No personal cash remaining.)

Valerius votes +2 Ora +3 knights +3 activist and +5 bribes. Net -25 votes. (No personal cash remaining.)

Last, Field Consul Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus votes +5 Ora +3 knights +3 activists and +15 bribes. (No personal cash remaining.)

Final net vote tally: +1 vote for I.I.'s Proposal.

I of course encourage everyone to double-check my math, which is not my strong suit.  L:-)

Flaminius of the Progressives and Quinctius of the Aristocrats will be the new Consuls, if my math is correct.

Next up (1st-and-a-half Mandatory Business, so to speak), they will need to work out among themselves who will be Roman and Field Consuls.

Second Mandatory Business will be voting for the new Pontifex Maximus. Acilius can be nominated for the Proposal. Either of the Consuls also can be nominated. The only invalid senators are Sulpy (because he isn't assigned to a Faction yet) and Manlius (because he isn't in Rome).

Note that appointing (or electing) a Dictator is 3rd Mandatory business, not 2nd!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Okay, doing some catchup bookkeeping here.

Aristocrat Faction Leader Quinctius by agreement from Flaminius (through a p-mail exchange) becomes Roman Consul, +5 Influence up from 19 to 24. New Faction total 66! -- still in the lead, so per Aristocrat abilities, knights will still vote activist.

Quinctius harvests an extra point of Influence, per Aristocrat abilities; I.I. must give this to Cornelius Scipio, or to Valerius.

Flaminius cedes his office of Censor, and accepts Field Consul: +5 influence, up from 18 to 23; new total influence 26.

Each new Consul already has a Prior Consul mark.

For voting against their own gain, even though they lost the vote (and so gained consular office), the Progressives parlay the humility of such a self-critical act into +4 influence for each of their senators with activist knights in that vote. Flaminius goes up to 27. Plautius goes up from 3 to 7. Total influence goes up 8 from 26 to 34!

As a reminder, Second Mandatory Business must be the election of a new Pontifex Maximus. I.I. can make this Proposal at any time (perhaps after some discussion publicly or privately), and of course so can anyone with a Tribune card. (Cato's Tribune card never activated since his Consul Proposal was forestalled by I.I.'s having actionable content! -- so his Tribune power remains poised for this Turn.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

IncompetentIdiot

(Extra influence to Valerius.)

I'll propose Plautius for Pontifex Maximus. Voting order will be Populists, Plutocrats, Conservatives, Militarists, Progressives, and Aristocrats.

JasonPratt

I'll have to see voting on this, as I.I.'s Consul Proposal win was unexpected and derailed other pre-laid plans I knew about.  O:-)

(I should add that I've seen a lot of different behind-the-scenes discussion about how to proceed with Deployments, so Players are focused on that right now and not so much on getting preliminary Mandatory Business done.)

malize

JasonPratt

That's 25 votes FOR Plautius as the new PontMax.

Plus provisionally another 27 from the Aristocrats, although by going last he can avoid an influence point loss if everyone votes against his vote. (I'll have to double check that, though. It really should be a loss if everyone else votes against the PM's Proposal: he's the one who will take the point loss.)

JasonPratt

If my math is correct  L:-) there are potentially 57 votes against Plautius (including if Erax votes against his own gain again), but already a net -5 vote thanks to Malize and assuming I.I. votes his own Proposal (which he has no reason not to at this point, though I still haven't checked the rule on when a PM loses a point of Influence by defeat).

So if only one more Player (including Erax) votes in favor of it -- and if bribes from personal cash don't factor against the Proposal! -- then the Proposal will pass.

If any Players are planning to add bribes, you'd better let me know pronto, by p-mail or hangout chat presumably...

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

AzTank's Conservatives stiffen the opposition with 14 + 4 activist votes AGAINST!

Tripoli's Militarists are up next.

This is getting serious, so to recap:

Aristocrats: 18 + 9 activist votes (provisionally -- he's voting last, but there's no point to him voting against his own proposal now)
Populists: 25 votes
Plutocrats: -16 votes. Net +36.
Conservatives: -14 - 4 activist votes. Net +18.

The Militarists only have 12 votes available (thanks to Manlius and his knights being out of Rome), but that will be enough to pass the Proposal even if the Progressives vote against -- which he might since that would be a safe vote against his own gain to harvest more influence!

If the Militarists vote against, though, then the Progressives themselves will be the swing vote...

Tripoli

Militarists vote for Plautius for Pontifex Maximus.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tripoli on January 25, 2019, 09:39:52 AM
Militarists vote for Plautius for Pontifex Maximus.

This adds 12 votes to the +18 net, giving a +30 net tally. The Progressive vote could not possibly overcome this, even with bribes, so unless he plays a (verified) Tribune card to veto it, I.I.'s Proposal will pass and Plautius will be the new PontMax.

Plautius will gain 5 Influence from this, and also the special 1d6 I've set aside for generating PontMax income each Turn.

If Erax says his senators vote against this, they'll safely earn another 4 Influence each! -- having triggered an activist vote against their own gain, even though they'll end up gaining after all. (The effect will be similar to ritual humility in refusing a post and having enough other people insist you take the post instead.)

Erax

I've checked the rules, my Senators don't have to vote together. Flaminius is gathering too much influence and I don't want to paint a target on his back, therefore Flaminius votes for and Plautius votes against.

malize

As an aside:

Going forward I'll entertain offers for my mining concession, bids starting at 10 talents

Also I'll take bribes for votes on issues 2 votes starting at 1 talent (half invisible bribe price)

I'll also be otherwise less inclined to vote positive on issues when placed at the front half of vote order

Void if illegal in your province

JasonPratt

Erax: yep, it is entirely legal for your senators to split votes like that; good idea in this case! I'll process later this afternoon.

Malize: I don't think it's possible to sell off or otherwise get rid of Concessions like that. The best you could do is auction off your support in being prosecuted for a minor corruption, and then adding your votes (along with an introductory Proposal from Cato via Tribune ability) to someone else getting the Concession later in the Senate Phase.

Of course if the Trial and/or subsequent Proposal fail(s) because too many other Players voted against it, that would not be your fault.  >:D

The only time a Concession is directly transferrable, is when it's still an unplayed Faction card. Then it can be donated or traded for compensation directly, with the beneficiary taking possession at the start of (or during) the Revolution Phase. (All Faction card arrivals are delayed until then, although any Faction card transfers during that Phase will happen instantly.)