Rising Storm2:Vietnam - Australians are free on Tuesday, November 28th

Started by Destraex, November 26, 2017, 05:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

You know I do think they might have plans to add the ARVN. I wonder if they would add the Chinese army?
320,000 Chinese troops were allegedly deployed to vietnam? Were they used in combat?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:45:06 PM
How would you do the south Vietnamese army though. Considering how ineffective they were. Rarely left their bases from what I heard.

I think that is incorrect. I believe the South Vietnamese army made a good showing of themselves under the circumstances, losing an estimated 200,000 to 250,000 soldiers in the conflict. I think if they had any shortcoming, it was in their leadership, not in the capability or courage of the individual fighting man.

If interested:

https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412

There are South Vietnam Rangers who were bad ass.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:38:28 PM
You know I do think they might have plans to add the ARVN. I wonder if they would add the Chinese army?
320,000 Chinese troops were allegedly deployed to vietnam? Were they used in combat?

I am aware of no confirmed combat between US forces and Chinese ground troops during US involvement in Vietnam and I have studied the subject at length. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though, of course. It also does not make sense since China is traditionally an enemy of Vietnam and has actually invaded Vietnam on a few occasions throughout history, including in the late 1970s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War

(TL;DR - The Chinese got their asses handed to them by the Vietnamese)

I actually think its a bit offensive that they would not add ARVN troops to the game. In fact, no disrespect, but they should do that before they add Aussies.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on November 27, 2017, 05:39:17 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 04:45:06 PM
How would you do the south Vietnamese army though. Considering how ineffective they were. Rarely left their bases from what I heard.

I think that is incorrect. I believe the South Vietnamese army made a good showing of themselves under the circumstances, losing an estimated 200,000 to 250,000 soldiers in the conflict. I think if they had any shortcoming, it was in their leadership, not in the capability or courage of the individual fighting man.

If interested:

https://www.amazon.com/South-Vietnamese-Soldiers-Memories-Vietnam/dp/1440832412

There are South Vietnam Rangers who were bad ass.

Yup. I mentioned them above. The 52nd Ranger Bn.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 05:40:24 PM

I am aware of no confirmed combat between US forces and Chinese ground troops during US involvement in Vietnam and I have studied the subject at length. Doesn't mean it didn't happen though, of course. It also does not make sense since China is traditionally an enemy of Vietnam and has actually invaded Vietnam on a few occasions throughout history, including in the late 1970s.

I actually think its a bit offensive that they would not add ARVN troops to the game. In fact, no disrespect, but they should do that before they add Aussies.

You are probably right about ARVN being added before the Australians, perhaps even before the Americans if you want to cover the "advisor" days. But I will be glad to play Aussies in game as it is rare our diggers get anything game wise.
Some people I know wanted to see the French added as well.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on November 27, 2017, 05:49:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 27, 2017, 05:40:24 PM

You are probably right about ARVN being added before the Australians, perhaps even before the Americans if you want to cover the "advisor" days. But I will be glad to play Aussies in game as it is rare our diggers get anything game wise.
Some people I know wanted to see the French added as well.

FWIW, Bohemia released a module for VBS-1 back in the day that covered the Australian experience in Vietnam. It was a very unique and well researched module for the game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Did not know that at all. Vbs was an army contracted program iirc.

Nefaro

The Chinese were assisting North Vietnam at the time of the war, last I recall.  Despite their quick fallout, directly afterward, which led to a short and unsuccessful Chinese invasion of the North. 

I think the Chinese forces were posted in the North.  Largely training & equipment stuff.  Rumors of them 'helping' out with the AA defenses & such.  Probably tagged as "advisors", instructors (air force & air defenses), and supply types. 

Destraex

Well. It's out. But the steam download is jammed up.
Apparently the new zealanders are in looking at the guy with the m79.

Destraex

The accents are really funny in this, you Americans must hear yourselves in games all the time and think it's strange. When you go out of bounds it says "where do you bloody think your going" or "ya soft bastard get back here". These are things that would definitely be said, but are kind of cliche in this day and age. We say it as a joke these days and the voices may be over done. I could not hear over all of the other Aussies in the servers acting like real larrikins and exaggerating their own accents.

The maps are really atmospheric and it is nice to have the 7.62 stopping power of the SLR. I must play US with the M14.
Semi Auto only but as you can see... pic below of my achievement. It goes through things a little better. More punch.

This is a great content addon (as if I would say anything else cobbers). It has caused at least one of my friends to purchase.
Could do with some M113s and Centurion tanks that the Aussies used in Vietnam.

I would pay pay for ARVN though and south korean just to honour them as I now feel guilty as Jar said that the Aussies got this attention.