Previous topic - Next topic

bboyer66

Ok I have the following

The Napoleonic Wars/ GMT

Age of Napoleon/ Phalanx Games

War and Peace/ Avalon Hill

Nations in Arms: Valmy To Waterloo/ Compass Games

Napoleon against Europe / Hexasim

Which do you think is the best one? What are your experiences with any of these?   

Geezer

I'm not familiar with any of those games but here are their rankings at BGG in the War section.  Make of them what you will:

The Napoleonic Wars/ GMT  114 (second edition)

Age of Napoleon/ Phalanx Games  307

War and Peace/ Avalon Hill  453

Nations in Arms: Valmy To Waterloo/ Compass Games  1438

Napoleon against Europe / Hexasim  306

Edit - Just to clarify, a lower number means a higher ranking.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

ArizonaTank

GMT's The Napoleonic Wars is pretty good.  It depicts the military-political environment of the time fairly well.  The game really shines in multi-player.  4-5 player works well. 

It has been many years since I played AH's War and Peace.  I recently looked over the rules again, and it seems like a design of its time and place.  Good solid recreation, but nothing fancy.  I was looking for a good PBEM choice, and the game seems well suited for that.  The rules have been around long enough, that they are pretty solid.  Interestingly, one small step publishing is working on a reprint.
http://ossgamescart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=90

I have Hexasim's Napoleon Against Europe.  I haven't played it yet, but have gone through the rules pretty well.  Overall, looks like a great game, oozing period flavor.

I have no experience with from Valmy to Waterloo, except that I have been trying to get a copy.  It is rare to see one come up for sale.  No sign of a reprint.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bboyer66

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 22, 2018, 11:23:53 PM
GMT's The Napoleonic Wars is pretty good.  It depicts the military-political environment of the time fairly well.  The game really shines in multi-player.  4-5 player works well. 

It has been many years since I played AH's War and Peace.  I recently looked over the rules again, and it seems like a design of its time and place.  Good solid recreation, but nothing fancy.  I was looking for a good PBEM choice, and the game seems well suited for that.  The rules have been around long enough, that they are pretty solid.  Interestingly, one small step publishing is working on a reprint.
http://ossgamescart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=90

I have Hexasim's Napoleon Against Europe.  I haven't played it yet, but have gone through the rules pretty well.  Overall, looks like a great game, oozing period flavor.

I have no experience with from Valmy to Waterloo, except that I have been trying to get a copy.  It is rare to see one come up for sale.  No sign of a reprint.

I believe Hexasims Napoleon Against Europe was by the same designer as Valmy to Waterloo. Napoleon Against Europe looks just like a more streamlined, less detailed,playable version of Valmy to Waterloo (that's a good thing in my opinion).

Agree with you on War and Peace. A little too antiquated for my tastes, but it has a place on my shelf  for no other reason then it's part of my collection.