Old School Tactical - WIP Counters and Cards

Started by Richie61, October 28, 2017, 09:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie61

Rough idea to add the US 57mm and 3 inch anti tank guns.  :)

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Barthheart

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Richie61

Guess we might need a tow vehicle for the guns.  :dreamer:

Ed
aka Richie61

Barthheart

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Richie61

Thanks guys!  :notworthy:

I think this is my final version of the US guns and a few vehicles.

Thanks to Shayne Logan and Fly Pig Games for their awesome Old School Tactical seires :)
Ed
aka Richie61

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

acctingman

Always impressed with you guys who can do this sort of stuff.

Good stuff!  O0

Richie61

Thanks! Not as good as Shayne's work, but the best I can do with my free program  :)
Ed
aka Richie61

GJK

Very nice looking artwork.  Some things to keep in mind however:

1. The "c" and other smaller symbols are going to be very difficult to pick up on a 5/8" counter (assuming that's the counter size that this game uses).

2. The red on green, even with the white "drop shadow" effect will be difficult to see as well - and near impossible for folks with color-blind issues.

3. The triangle in the upper corner is well into the "bleed" area (and will not work for those that like to clip) and some other items are into that area as well (particularly the numbers on the vehicles).

4. Does the olive drab like green and light green mean anything on the counters or is there that color change for pure cosmetic reasons?  If it doesn't represent anything, it could be a distraction when viewing on a crowded mapboard.

5. There's some inconsistencies with the white drop-shadow; it's not present on all of the numbering, which may be intentional- just thought I'd point it out.

This relates more to the game but if you have data cards for the equipment - why do you need all the numbers on the counters?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Richie61

Quote from: GJK on October 30, 2017, 05:21:26 AM
Very nice looking artwork.  Some things to keep in mind however:

1. The "c" and other smaller symbols are going to be very difficult to pick up on a 5/8" counter (assuming that's the counter size that this game uses).

2. The red on green, even with the white "drop shadow" effect will be difficult to see as well - and near impossible for folks with color-blind issues.

3. The triangle in the upper corner is well into the "bleed" area (and will not work for those that like to clip) and some other items are into that area as well (particularly the numbers on the vehicles).

4. Does the olive drab like green and light green mean anything on the counters or is there that color change for pure cosmetic reasons?  If it doesn't represent anything, it could be a distraction when viewing on a crowded mapboard.

5. There's some inconsistencies with the white drop-shadow; it's not present on all of the numbering, which may be intentional- just thought I'd point it out.

This relates more to the game but if you have data cards for the equipment - why do you need all the numbers on the counters?

Hi Gary,

Other than missing a few "white drop-shadow" numbers, the colors, text, cards and layout were done to match the current game format that is Old School Tactical.

The game uses 3/4" unit, weapon, and condition counters, 7/8" vehicle counters and the map hexes are 1".

I would've done a few things different if I was the designer.  ;) OST I used a different counter text and objects. I like the text without the drop shadow myself.

The right image is OST I and the left is the newer OST II gun counter.

Ed
aka Richie61

GJK

Didn't mean to come across hyper-critical...just wanted to point out a few things that may or may not of been an issue with a printed counter (and I think you took my criticism quite well).  They do look good; and with such a large counter, the smaller case font (even if white on a light green/gray background) may not be an issue at all.

What graphics program do you use?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Richie61

Gary,

I use the free version of paint.net with a few add ons. I seem to learn something new each time.

I do agree with a few of your comments. The two tone counter is a half squad or "Reduced" per the rules. The "R" means reduced, so the two tone could be changed to a single color IMO.
The Red triangle is the facing arc and the Gray area indicates a limited cover arc, like a Stug or ATG that would need to apply DRM if turning to fire.

Ed
aka Richie61