Don't F**k With Cats

Started by Jarhead0331, January 16, 2020, 03:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Hunting an Internet Serial Killer.

Anybody else catch this three-part documentary on Netflix?

It is the story of a group that banded together on Facebook in an effort to ID and catch someone who was posting videos of animal cruelty, primarily the killing of kittens. Fortunately, the documentary does not show the videos in question, other than partial glimpses. The individual was smart, sick and very narcissistic and the lead Facebook investigators are weirdos themselves. Eventually, the killer graduates from killing cats, to killing a person.

Very creepy and interesting. I recommend it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ubercat

I can't watch that. Any details I learned would just get me very upset. If they catch/caught the vermin, and it had a public execution, I'd watch the video over and over. I'd be thrilled to actually push the button, or even kill it slowly with a butter knife if they'd let me, but that's the extent that I could get involved.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on January 16, 2020, 07:43:13 PM
I can't watch that. Any details I learned would just get me very upset. If they catch/caught the vermin, and it had a public execution, I'd watch the video over and over. I'd be thrilled to actually push the button, or even kill it slowly with a butter knife if they'd let me, but that's the extent that I could get involved.

All I will say is that the crimes were committed in Canada...accordingly, without giving too much away, if the killer was caught, he would receive Canadian style justice, for the very little that it is worth.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 16, 2020, 07:56:44 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on January 16, 2020, 07:43:13 PM

All I will say is that the crimes were committed in Canada...accordingly, without giving too much away, if the killer was caught, he would receive Canadian style justice, for the very little that it is worth.

Nice.  ::)

solops

Ya know, it probably is a good show. But I don't think I want to see it. 'Silence of the Lambs' is a good show I watch once in a great while. Anthony Hopkins keeps the show light enough to stay humorous. Mel Gibson's movie about Christ is a great show, but I cannot bring myself to watch it again. 'Saving Private Ryan' can be a jolt. Jacky Gleason's 'Gigot' used to hit me more than it does now. There are more than just a few shows, fact and fiction, that are really, really good but if you let yourself get involved in them it can be really hard on the old psyche. I can watch guys getting blown up Hollywood-style all day and not worry about it, but when some director does a good piece really well...I am not sure I have a net plus after watching it, especially more than once. All that said, we all have different buttons and Kryptonite for me may be candy for someone else. I guess it sums up as: Does the entertainment value outweigh the emotional karma that comes with it? Sometimes a show can be 'too good'. To be fair, occasionally watching something that is mind-and-heart rending is not necessarily a bad thing, right?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

JH, what is that photo in your sig from? I remember watching it, but I cannot remember the name of the show.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on January 16, 2020, 08:34:25 PM
Ya know, it probably is a good show. But I don't think I want to see it. 'Silence of the Lambs' is a good show I watch once in a great while. Anthony Hopkins keeps the show light enough to stay humorous. Mel Gibson's movie about Christ is a great show, but I cannot bring myself to watch it again. 'Saving Private Ryan' can be a jolt. Jacky Gleason's 'Gigot' used to hit me more than it does now. There are more than just a few shows, fact and fiction, that are really, really good but if you let yourself get involved in them it can be really hard on the old psyche. I can watch guys getting blown up Hollywood-style all day and not worry about it, but when some director does a good piece really well...I am not sure I have a net plus after watching it, especially more than once. All that said, we all have different buttons and Kryptonite for me may be candy for someone else. I guess it sums up as: Does the entertainment value outweigh the emotional karma that comes with it? Sometimes a show can be 'too good'. To be fair, occasionally watching something that is mind-and-heart rending is not necessarily a bad thing, right?

You raise an interesting point, and one that is a prime question asked in the series. Do the people who watch the videos and/or the documentary bear any responsibility or culpability themselves?

...and yes, image in sig line is from Sicario.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

airboy

There were several articles on the individuals, contractors, and policies that facebook uses to screen content. 

The people who did the screening could not handle it: child abuse, killing pets, self (and other) mutilation; murders - it goes on, and on, and on.  The burnout rate was almost unbelievable.  Then you have the religious killings and beatings, the jihadast evil, stuff reprinted from the worst atrocities of the Nazis and the WW2 era Japanese, and so on.  The material the articles talked about were the sort of things that nobody sane (or not evil) could stomach.

What Jarhead talks about happens all of the time. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), there is a certain small percentage of the population that is evil.  And a good proportion of the evil idiots post on facebook.

I could not do this job, and most people even heavily medicated with antidepressants and the like cannot do the job. 

solops

Re watching Bad Things: I vividly remember watching back in the 1960s documentaries on the Nazis and the extermination camps. They were extensive, prolonged, fascinating and appalling. I am absolutely glad that I saw them. Nothing shown or produced today is more than an abbreviated sound bite from those old docs. The new stuff does not do justice to the subject matter and their abbreviated format belittles the evil and horror portrayed. The information and visual impact of those old shows makes anyone who saw them realize just how ignorant and hollow the charges of "fascist" and "Nazi" are today as made in our political arena and how little the people who use the terms actually understand them. I am glad I saw those old documentaries. I never want to see most of them again. One in particular - Thirty minutes of nothing but the inside of the camps, what they did and how they did it (in detail) is enough for anyone. They showed some of them in school here in Texas when I was a kid. They should start doing that again. To avoid that material is to deny it and to forget. I think I am kind of steering off topic here. Sorry JH.

JasonPratt

Relatedly to the above questions: Schindler's List. Glad the film exists, honored to be able to watch it, no need or desire to ever watch it again.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 17, 2020, 12:41:09 PM
Relatedly to the above questions: Schindler's List. Glad the film exists, honored to be able to watch it, no need or desire to ever watch it again.
+1. Every time it comes on I think "what a great show!"
Then I think, "I really don't wanna watch it."
Back to the original JH post, it is good that this stuff exists.

Ubercat

Now I'm embarrassed. I've probably seen SL at least ten times. I think I got teary eyed every time but I think it's such a great movie that when I had it on videotape I kept watching it. That was better than twenty years ago now and I can still quote some scenes verbatim.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell