Wings Over Flanders Fields V2.0 - Coming Soon

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 22, 2014, 07:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on December 23, 2014, 02:18:50 PM
Any discount on the latest update?

No, highly doubt it will since just released....I believe the first one did not hit any sale price until 3-4 months after release....

Gusington

I'll wait then...Steam is keeping me well occupied.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I always forget about this game...looks like version 3 out....requires you to own version 1 and 2.  Would cost me $55 to get all the updates....still a little pricey for my use, still a good game.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/featuresWOFFExpansion3.html

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 05, 2016, 07:52:06 PM
I always forget about this game...looks like version 3 out....requires you to own version 1 and 2.  Would cost me $55 to get all the updates....still a little pricey for my use, still a good game.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/featuresWOFFExpansion3.html

Oh dayum.

WOFF still has the best single-player dynamic campaign.  Likely for any flight sim ever done, and despite using such an old engine.

I'm still disappointed that time isn't spent adding so many little details and personality to most flight sim campaigns these days.  Even for both single- AND multi-player use.  Hell, the community has had to do heavy improvements to the ROF and IL-2:BOS campaigns for both single & multi-;  I can't bring myself to play the generic & lifeless stock stuff in them.

I'll definitely pick this up at some point.   I had got away from Sim'ing awhile back, and I recall having to jump through some hoops to specifically get my CH Fighterstick & rudder pedals working properly  in WOFF.  But it's worth the extra time.  Of course, it also tends to compete with my time doing multi-player in ROF (and possibly BOS now that user-created stuff has improved since last time).

Nice that they have numerous package deals containing varied options for those who didn't already own everything.

RyanE

A minor bit of thread necromancing...

Out of context of what I am trying to do with WOFF, this comes across too harsh.  But I decided to go in with both feet on WOFF.  Here was my last post on the WOFF/SimHQ forums.  I am only mildly into campaigns.  I like to mission build and sandbox.  I am somewhat underwhelmed with WOFF3.

"Frankly, I just spent $100 for the game and on all the add-ons. Right now, I feel I should have spent it elsewhere. The game is made with a lot of TLC, but I much more enjoy ROF and IL2. The interface is kind of kludgy, graphics are OK, but I currently own games that are much better. No mission builder or recorder are big issues with how I use the game. Another feature I sorely miss is mouse look. I tried using a sort of fix from a thread I found, but the solution looked too clunky for me to bother with at this point. And this doesn't even get into spending a day screwing around with the CFS3 install.

I'll set aside the $100 as a lesson-learned and check back in now and again to see what is going on. This is no ones fault but my own. I thought I had done my due diligence, but just never asked the right questions."

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4281628#ixzz4FRG6VabA

This is just to make sure future players know some of the shortcomings relative to how they want to play the game.

Nefaro

So you need a full mission builder in your flight sims?

I got WOFF specifically for it's single-player campaign and the AI pilots who have a sense of self preservation.  It's certainly not perfect, and probably tries to squeeze out a bit too much from such an old engine, but I've enjoyed it for what I was looking for.   An engaging dynamic campaign,  not just a player "bubble" that randomly spawns a few nameless terminator-planes (who only fly in a circle or Split-S) a short distance away on occasion.

ROF still has better sim mechanics, graphics, & fun multi-player on the community created MP scenarios.  It's campaign isn't bad but has some fundamental flaws, even with the mod.  I'd still recommend it, first, for new WWI simmers.  WOFF is really all about the campaign, obviously.

RyanE

"I am only mildly into campaigns.  I like to mission build and sandbox. "

I thought I answered that...

Just to clarify...some basics that I want in a sim in 2016...

1) Reasonably believable flight model
2) Reasonably accurate damage model
3) A flight recorder...WOFF is the first one I have played in maybe 15 years that didn't have some kind of recorder.
4) A mission editor...same as above

I am willing to sacrifice campaign for the above...any day of the week.  I'll point out if this were a free mod or $30, I might concede I am asking for too much.  But this is a $100, all in.

As to the bubble...don't see a lot of point in have this all encompassing campaign without the alleged bubble if all you can see is around your plane anyway.  Not sure what the point of not having the bubble is.

rwenstrup

I bought it for the single player campaign...there are other games that cover mission building ... this game is great for the campaign...in my humble and often shot down opinion...

Grim.Reaper

As with any game, always comes down to personal tastes on what is important....I think WOFF and ROF was always clear on what they had to offer and I have both...don't regret either, although to me having a good single player experience is most important and felt WOFF did a better job of that.  I started first with ROF and it was great for awhile, but just didn't completely satisfy me.  But even with that said, I rarely play either anymore, although I have been thinking about getting the latest version update of WOFF.  Just not sure I'll play it enough in order to justify the cost.

Just curious you mention IL-2, is that the latest Battle of Stalingrad version?  If so, how is it nowadays?  Is the single player experience good?

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 25, 2016, 04:53:29 PM

Just curious you mention IL-2, is that the latest Battle of Stalingrad version?  If so, how is it nowadays?  Is the single player experience good?

If I were to play IL2:BoS again, it would only be for multi-player. 

Although the Pat Wilson dynamic campaign mod for BOS has been out for awhile, I've not heard much talk about it.  I'd expect it to be somewhat similar to the one for ROF, but probably more limited due to the simplistic & repetitive random mission generator in BOS.  That random mission generator was so disappointing in BOS.  :-\

At least the BOS community started hosting some custom-made multi-player campaign hosts.  It's a very beautiful game, with some enjoyable flight mechanics & accompanying immersion in the cockpit.  But, as with DCS, that is where most of the developer effort has been focused, with minimal attention paid to the mission & campaign environment.  ROF had much more available to it, in that sense, and that one still had some shortcuts.

RyanE

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 25, 2016, 04:53:29 PM
As with any game, always comes down to personal tastes on what is important....I think WOFF and ROF was always clear on what they had to offer and I have both...don't regret either, although to me having a good single player experience is most important and felt WOFF did a better job of that.  I started first with ROF and it was great for awhile, but just didn't completely satisfy me.  But even with that said, I rarely play either anymore, although I have been thinking about getting the latest version update of WOFF.  Just not sure I'll play it enough in order to justify the cost.

I still play both the older Il2 and Stalingrad.  I don't play any multiplayer nor the campaign.  I spend my time building missions or flying missions.

I should point out, I only play Stalingrad a little right now.  The mission editor is new and just different enough from ROF that I haven't really focused on it.  I spend most of my time in ROF.

Philippe

How does WOFF stack up against ROF?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

RyanE

The actual flying feels more real to me than WOFF.  I have flown around for a few days in WOFF, and I'm not impressed.  If the campaign is your thing, I guess that would be the attraction for WOFF.  If just flying and then going back and reviewing the fight and what was going on around you, then ROF is probably the thing for you.

Father Ted

Quote from: Philippe on July 26, 2016, 08:16:35 AM
How does WOFF stack up against ROF?

One thing I* would point out in this debate is that RoF is a wonderful flightsim experience, even without any combat.  It is great to look at and "feels" very good.  Also you can D/L RoF for free.  It's the whole game engine - you can even join in MP if you wish - the only limitation is you get just three planes to fly. But you can have a wander around the skies, try some QB's against the AI, and so on.  Thus, if you're at all interested in WW1 simming it's worth having a go at.

*In fairness should point out that RoF MP is about the only gaming I do at the moment

Toonces

Hey RyanE.

What I say, I say with respect, so I hope you'll take it in that spirit.  I understand your disappointment with WOFF because it most definitely does not do what you want it to do.  It doesn't have a mission builder to my knowledge, and doesn't have a flight recorder.  If these were criteria for you, I'm not sure why you would buy this sim in the first place, especially for $100. 

WOFF is rough around the edges compared to the graphics of modern sims like ROF.  What WOFF showcases, and why it can even compete against something like ROF, is the single player campaign.  That is why folks like me choose WOFF over ROF, and why a market for WOFF can even exist. 

What WOFF has done with the campaign is pretty amazing.  WOFF simulates the entire theater's flights when you start a mission.  There are planes flying around that have nothing to do with your mission, and are working in their own way to win the war.  If you go off script, for example, and fly completely in the wrong direction to the wrong place opposite where your target is, you will still find things going on around you.  This is in contrast to something like ROF or IL-2 Stalingrad where enemy flights are "spawned" when you cross some threshold, or otherwise meet some mission parameter.  Perhaps this doesn't mean much to you, but it really is a far more complex system than many (most) other sims. 

It never advertises to do much more than this, and I'm rather surprised you couldn't find this out on your own with some searching.  Certainly there is enough info on Youtube to give you an idea of the graphics, and the game's own media is pretty clear about what's contained within the software.  I guess what I mean to say is that I'm surprised you were surprised.

There are third party programs that might help you overcome the lack of mission recorder like Tacview, but if you're not enjoying the underlying game, throwing more money at it is unlikely to provide the solution you're looking for. 

Please try to give WOFF some time to grow on you.  It really is an amazing simulation, and it can coexist with ROF on your computer.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs