Started by FrontierCybrarian, March 26, 2013, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrontierCybrarian

Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

jomni

WW2 Pacific theater is always appealing to me.

FrontierCybrarian

Jomni, it's my first love in WW2 games although I try to play many other battlefields.

Initially I wanted to purchase Red Orchestra: Stalingrad but since I only game single-play the reviews indicated for sp the learning curve was difficult and it was way to easy to die from a single shot from an unseen enemy (realistic yes, maybe a bit to tough for a fps game player). I hope Rising Sun gives a little more death leniency for gamers in single-play. If not, it's a no go for me.

The graphics and sounds seem quite nice but I'll likely wait for reviews on this before a purchase.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on March 26, 2013, 09:46:48 PM
Looks pretty nice. I hope I'm not duplicating an earlier thread/post on this.

http://www.gamespot.com/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad/videos/rising-storm-gameplay-reveal-6394650/

Looks good.  The video is about six months old, so I expect we will see it coming pretty soon.  I didn't see any mention of AFVs.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Father Ted

This article might give you a good idea of what's to come:http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/rising-storm-preview/.  Personally I don't like the sound of the balancing of the weapons.

FrontierCybrarian

Arizona Tank, thanks for the input. I didn't see any "armored fighting vehicles" either...be it tanks, cars, half-tracks, etc. Also what about landing craft? If the video is about 6 months old I must have totally missed it before but I'm behind the times so I'm not surprised.

Father Ted, thanks for including the PC Gamer Preview. It fleshed out the game to a greater degree. Still, my main concern will be in the "easy" death. I don't usually handle that too well in fps even though I'm not too bad at them. Did well in Far Cry 3 and still playing Crysis 3 (not as good as FC3 in my opinion). I like a balance in dying...not extremes like one shot kills on me (it's dandy on the enemies though) OR where I'm almost invincible and throw caution to the wind and buzz through the enemies and game without much challenge (gets boring and way too unrealistic).

We'll see how they handle it.

I didn't see a release date except for 2013.

Father Ted

As regards the easy death - I'm afraid that will very probably be part of the game.  Like its base-game Heroes of Stalingrad, it is designed to be a multiplayer game, so what goes for you has to go for the bad guy too.  Also it is supposed to be a somewhat realistic depiction of WW2, so one hit from a rifle bullet can stop you - hence one hit deaths.

Basically if you're looking for a single-player experience look elsewhere.  HoS did have SP, but it was really only useful for getting used to the controls, so I suspect RS will be the same.

FrontierCybrarian

Father Ted, You're so right! I'm likely trying to want a single-play game out of a traditional multi-play series (it's forte, too). I'm going to pass on it like I did on Stalingrad. I so much want a quality fps Pacific Theatre that fits my play style. I agree that in multiplay one critical hit should kill for both parties.

Trooperc7, thanks for the reference. Sure does look good though, doesn't it?

Trooperc7

If Rising storm plays half as well as RO2, it will be an immersive experience. Honestly, if you have the computer to play online, a single player FPS will never give you a fraction of what the game can really provide for you to enjoy. Playing against humans is so much more intense than playing against programmed bots.

FrontierCybrarian

Trooper, I've played Left 4 Dead 2 and Borderlands 1 online with my sons and while fun there was no way I could keep up with the young ones as I'm just an old duffer. I just held them up. I go slow and methodical and like sniping too much to suit players who like fast action...and that's what it appears to be for Stalingrad and Rising Sun.

But what you say about the appeal of multi-play is supported and repeated by others. Humans do make better opponents than Bots for sure.

RooksBailey

While I loved RO, I never took to RO2.  I think largely because Tripwire oversold the game before it came out and didn't really deliver on some of the features.  It felt more like RO1.5 than RO2 to me.  However, I am more than willing to give this a try if for no other reason than the fact that it takes place in the Pacific (sick to death of the ETO being the focus for every WWII game). 

There was a live play session at GDC today.  You can watch the recap here:

http://www.twitch.tv/evolvehq/b/383165979

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

jomni

I like the infiltrating Japanese concept (spawning  behind Us lines).

Father Ted

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on March 27, 2013, 09:31:47 PM
Trooper, I've played Left 4 Dead 2 and Borderlands 1 online with my sons and while fun there was no way I could keep up with the young ones as I'm just an old duffer. I just held them up. I go slow and methodical and like sniping too much to suit players who like fast action...and that's what it appears to be for Stalingrad and Rising Sun.

But what you say about the appeal of multi-play is supported and repeated by others. Humans do make better opponents than Bots for sure.

I'm an old duffer too!  The thing about RO/DH and (to a lesser extent) RO2 is that they can be enjoyed when played in a slow, methodical style.  I don't go near the twitchy shooters, partly coz I'd be no good, and partly coz I don't like the mud-slinging.  I have found that the "harder", more niche games seem to attract a more mature crowd.  I think this is partly because it is very difficult to be an uber player.  With accurate weapons, hard-to-spot opponents and insta-kills everyone dies a lot, so people are more relaxed about "dying".

Sorry to keep on about this, but I just think that, counter-intuitively, one-shot kills make online shooters more accessible to the likes of us.

Trooperc7

Well, make no mistake, i am an older guy (62) and the crowd i play with has several over 70 guys...Shooters such as RO2 allow you to get into the game any way you wish. I started slow, kept to the sides, picked my shots until i got better... I begin to get more involved because my skills had gotten better. A lot of the fun in multiplayer games is finding the right server that holds a more mature crowd......