Main Menu

Disco Elysium?

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 14, 2019, 07:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

i had not heard of this one before today. but see releasing tomorrow for $39.  been reading various places and seems to be getting very high praise....may have to consider:)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/Disco_Elysium/

Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world role playing game. You're a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being.

Unprecedented freedom of choice​. Intimidate, sweet-talk, resort to violence, write poetry, sing karaoke, dance like a beast or solve the meaning of life. Disco Elysium is the most faithful representation of desktop role playing ever attempted in video games.

Countless tools for role playing.​ Mix and match from 24 wildly different skills. Develop a personal style with 80 clothes items. Wield 14 tools from guns to flashlights to a boombox, or pour yourself a cocktail of 6 different psychoactive substances. Develop your character even further with 60 wild ​thoughts ​to think – with the detective's Thought Cabinet.

A revolutionary dialogue system with unforgettable characters. ​The world is alive with real people, not extras. Play them against each other, try to help them, or fall hopelessly in love. Disco Elysium's revolutionary dialogue system, with partially voiced characters, lets you do almost anything.

Carve your unique path across the city​. Explore, manipulate, collect tare or become a millionaire in an open world unlike anything you've seen before. The city of Revachol is yours for the taking, one small piece at a time. From the streets to the beaches – and beyond.

Hard boiled, hard core. ​Death, sex, taxes and disco – nothing is off the table. Revachol is a real place with real challenges. Solve a massive murder investigation, or relax and kick back with sprawling side-cases. The detective decides, the citizens abide.

besilarius

Computer Noir?
Raymond Chandler would not be amused.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mbar

Looks interesting if it is as free form as they suggest.

Tpek

I've had my eye on this for a while now and will probably get it.

Grim.Reaper

Feedback on this still seems to be very positive, really tempting.  Only two places selling it is Steam and GOG.  Did notice GOG version includes the Underail game free with it if you buy from them.

Likely won't make it the week without buying:)

airboy

Underrail is a pretty good RPG.

The rock paper shotgun review of Disco Elysium did not excite me - but the reviewer liked it a lot.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/15/disco-elysium-review/

Grim.Reaper

I don't know, pretty much every review I have seen have generally liked it, been a long time since I have seen something universally liked this much....still haven't caved yet, testing my strength:)

airboy

I generically dislike "I don't know who I am - even my name" entertainment.  After Nine Princes in Amber nothing ever touched that height.  Crime solving games typically have a short life span for me. 

But again, very positive reviews on it and I have things I like and dislike.