Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail

Started by RedArgo, December 18, 2018, 01:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

We missed it, but July 6 was John Paul Jones' birthday. 
Consonant dissonance.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2019, 07:16:38 AM
Quote from: Destraex on July 08, 2019, 06:54:56 AM
What theatre and war does it seem to be set in?

game's description....

Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail is a tactical war-game from the creators of the Ultimate General series set amidst the epic naval campaigns in period of the American Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.

ROYAL NAVY CAMPAIGN
You will take control of famed naval commander Horatio Nelson and follow his life and career to protect England and become the famous admiral of legend. Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves.

US NAVY CAMPAIGN
You will aid fledgling America as naval commander John Paul Jones. Your mission, to reorganize our burgeoning navy and lead them to victory, taking the first step in becoming a rising superpower.
That scope is insane
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

besilarius

In re to the career of Horatio Nelson, would that include the lawsuits brought by yankee captains after Nelson enforced the Navigation Laws while captain of Hinchingbroke?  It became so contentious that he stopped going ashore to avoid agents of the civil courts, and had to transfer out of the Caribbean back to England.
The one I'd like to try is if he would have caught the French invasion fleet heading to Egypt.  He actually passed it at night, the French heard the english fleet firing signal guns.  When he got to Alexandria he had missed the French and there was no word of the invasion force.
The english consul was away and Nelson couldn't bring himself to wait another day, so sailed off to check further east.
The following morning, the French fleet showed up. 
It all ended well at Aboukir Bay, but a sea battle might have been very interesting.
And would probably end Bonaparte's career.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

^Ha! It will be fantastic if the Nelson campaign includes Egypt.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

The_Admiral

Hopefully, it will! But I just don't see how it wouldn't if they are to give justice to the man. Apart from small interludes the likes of Copenhagen, he wouldn't be the man he became without a succession of well known moments of glory against the Frenchs and the Spaniards. If I am to believe the scope of command of this upcoming title, you will be able to follow in Nelson's steps from the moment he got his first command with HMS Albermale.

I sincerely hope they'll be able to convey all this. Not sure how far the roleplaying might extend to his marriage and his love life though  :knuppel2:

Gusington

If done with that amount of detail, the Nelson campaign has the potential to be one of the best PC wargame campaigns ever. Ever!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

Jarhead0331

Just came back to this today...it is really shaping up into a fantastic game. Lots of fun clashing at sea and then sending Marines and army units ashore to seize towns and forts. Really great stuff.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

I'm glad they went SP with this, naval action didn't quite do it for me.  But this one looks to be what I'm looking for.  Dreadnaughts too.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd