My Life Sucks - Not Really

Started by airboy, July 12, 2018, 05:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

We had one of those highly irritating things happen.  Our washing machine broke down and will not drain water.  After draining it three times and restarting only on rinse - we had to call a repair service.

The repair service cannot get to us for 5 days.  So no washer until then.

In the big picture, although this is annoying it is a sign of how great our lives are in the developed world.  I have scores of friends with washers/driers who can help.  I have a dozen places in town that I can sit in for half an afternoon and do the laundry.  I have clean water to wash the clothes in.  I don't have to wash by hand.

Annoying - yes.  But in the greater scheme of things it makes you realize how good your life is.

trailrunner

Meh.  Our washer died about a month ago.  We dealt with a couple of stores with poor customer service (the bigger they are, the worse the service).  Then the one we bought (with an impeller instead of agitator) was terrible and kept leaving soap on my wife's dark pants, so we returned that one.  Bottom line is that we just got it sorted out last week, after a month of hassle.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on July 12, 2018, 05:51:49 PMOur washing machine broke down and will not drain water. 

is it just the outflow pump?  Those are actually pretty easy to fix yourself.  The worst part is moving the washer and laying it down so you can get underneath to get the to pump to get it out.

I had to take our apart to get to the pump when my wife volunteered to wash a load of tie-dyed t-shirts for our son's school class and one of the rubber bands got stuck in the outflow pump.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

^ To add to the above- if you don't always empty your pockets before washing you can block the 'coin trap' that keeps the pump from self-destructing on pennies.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bobarossa

It doesn't look like anyone got the point of your post.  I can (and do) complain about stuff all the time but in the big scheme of things, I have an 1800 sq ft house to live in, two cars, and a pension.  How many people in my highly developed country can say the same let alone a second or third world country.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bobarossa on July 13, 2018, 09:09:54 AM
It doesn't look like anyone got the point of your post.  I can (and do) complain about stuff all the time but in the big scheme of things, I have an 1800 sq ft house to live in, two cars, and a pension.  How many people in my highly developed country can say the same let alone a second or third world country.

Nah, I got it - I was just trying to be helpful beyond that :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

I would claim that the attempts to provide helpful advice were depressing since I have little mechanical aptitude.  But I had resigned myself to paying a repair person to fix the thing.  I did all of the basic things called for in the manual - but I'm not about to take off the plates and start messing with it further.

I also resigned myself years ago to having a wife with better spacial perception than I have and thus better ability to put "assembly required" stuff together.  She also fixes the toilets.  One of my brothers makes stuff for fun (restores old vehicles, does woodworking, fixes everything, and restore/repair almost anything & has designed and built Tiffany lamps).  I don't have that skill set.

I have the math/statistics knack, the finance knack, and the ability to grow most anything outside knack.

Sir Slash

I can relate to Airboy's feelings. Lightening struck my house and totally fried my router, telephone line, and..... best friend- the COMPUTER.  :'(  Also messed-up the HDMI connections on my TV/Monitor.  :hide:  After a couple of days of 'why me' and cursing the whole world for hating me, I got over it and realized, like Airboy, damn, I've actually got it pretty good and now I've got the perfect excuse to get a newer, better rig all together. So I'm all better now. But I still run outside when I hear thunder and throw things at the clouds.  >:(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

That kind of behavior is probably what got you in trouble in the first place.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Wait a minute. Cause, and effect? No, couldn't be.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on July 13, 2018, 10:06:06 AMI would claim that the attempts to provide helpful advice were depressing since I have little mechanical aptitude.

Sorry :(

If it makes you feel any better, the best I can grow outside are weeds.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 13, 2018, 10:12:49 AM
I can relate to Airboy's feelings. Lightening struck my house and totally fried my router, telephone line, and..... best friend- the COMPUTER.  :'(  Also messed-up the HDMI connections on my TV/Monitor.  :hide:  After a couple of days of 'why me' and cursing the whole world for hating me, I got over it and realized, like Airboy, damn, I've actually got it pretty good and now I've got the perfect excuse to get a newer, better rig all together. So I'm all better now. But I still run outside when I hear thunder and throw things at the clouds.  >:(

Do your Pugs fart when they hear thunder to avoid future lightning strikes?

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 13, 2018, 10:53:37 AM
Quote from: airboy on July 13, 2018, 10:06:06 AMI would claim that the attempts to provide helpful advice were depressing since I have little mechanical aptitude.

Sorry :(

If it makes you feel any better, the best I can grow outside are weeds.

I took the advice in the spirit in which it was offered.

Barthheart

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 13, 2018, 10:12:49 AM