"Feeling Old" 2018 Edition

Started by bayonetbrant, January 03, 2018, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Martok

Star Trek references like that never fail to make me feel my age.  Uff-da. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

OJsDad

Well, I got my first pair of glasses today.  I'm officially old.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

Welcome to the wonderful world of Geriatric-dom! Now that you've got them, you can look forward to never being able to find them when you need them. I blame it on kids outside walking on my grass.  >:(   BTW, How many fingers am I holding up?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

One.  The middle one to be specific.

Don't need them for reading, just distance. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

trailrunner

I started wearing reading glasses about 15 years ago, when I turned 40.  The decline of my eyes has stabilized so that I only have to wear +1.5 for reading.  For doing detail work on my bike or my games, I have to wear more powerful magnifiers.

bbmike

I must be really old. I started wearing glasses in the 2nd grade.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

I was gonna say, quit yer bitchin', I too have been wearing the blasted things since 2nd grade.

Gusington

My eyesight is 20/15 with my glasses on  :nerd:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

My eyesight actually improved at my last eye exam...but that was two years ago. I haven't had time to go for a new one yet. Because of the way my insurance is, I got new glasses about a year or so ago, so they'll be good for a while. Plus I have contacts that will work too, but they're a pain to put in.

bbmike

My eyesight stabilized several years ago. Doc says I'm a perfect candidate for Lasik but I'm not sure I want to take the chance.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

^ Me, either (not wanting to take a chance with Lasik). Years ago back when this laser eye surgery thing first started, I went in to get a free exam. The doctor told me my corneas were borderline too thin. He said I could do the procedure, but couldn't guarantee there wouldn't be issues down the road. I'd hope that the technology has improved in the last couple of decades (lol) though.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on January 09, 2018, 07:00:09 AM
My eyesight stabilized several years ago. Doc says I'm a perfect candidate for Lasik but I'm not sure I want to take the chance.

I had mine back in '07.  I'm glad I did, tho now I wear a light prescription for driving at night.

That said, the Lasik procedure was the most terrifying thing I've ever gone thru.  It is truly scary as shit.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

I had my LASIK done in 2003. Got a nice discount for 'knowing a guy'.

It is indeed not for the faint of heart. If offered the chance to watch a video of the procedure before making up your mind, I strongly suggest saying 'NO!" to the viewing unless you really wanted to dissuade yourself anyway.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys