Question - Is War Thunder or World Of Tanks getting infantry? Recommendations?

Started by Destraex, April 16, 2017, 09:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I need combined arms for something like this to interest me. I would love to enjoy one of these games but cannot get over the single main gun style of play in a vacuum.
At least world of warships has carriers, DDs with that battlegroup feel. You cannot deploy infantry on water so it does not matter so much.
I need a ww2 tank combined arms sim... one that is multiplayer and preferably has an enjoyable progression tree. Even better if they do not mix nationalities.
Again World of Warships shines here because the warships all look like they could be from the same nation at a distance really. All of them are grey and all of them have sprawling towers. But tanks are very recognisable between nations, designs were vastly different.

Any suggestions or knowledge about infantry, AT weapons, air support and the like being in a MOBA style game with the detail of WOT or WT ??
I don't want human infantry. Just infantry to shoot at that actively hunt me and my own supporting infantry with some basic orders. Perhaps T34 vs Tiger style.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Ubercat

I wouldn't touch a tank game without infantry. I also wouldn't touch an infantry game that has no tanks. Looking at you, Combat Commander.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Nefaro

Last I checked:

World of Tanks will never add them.  Flatly stated so in the past.

War Thunder has left open the possibility, saying it could happen.  But I don't see it happening anytime soon, if ever.

I don't know of any Battle Arena style multi-player games which plan to do the full deal.  WT is as close as it gets since you can have both player-driven aircraft and tanks in the same battle.

About as close as it gets, for any MP of the sort, would be RO2/Rising Storm.  It's not MOBA style though.

Father Ted

At this point I always recommend Darkest Hour, older than RO2, but with a more fleshed-out combined-arms mode.  Perhaps your best bet though is Heroes and Generals.  I've not played it, but I gather it does the progression bit.

I don't know of any WW2 MP games which feature player-controlled tanks and AI infantry, though.

Nefaro

Quote from: Father Ted on April 16, 2017, 12:50:08 PM
At this point I always recommend Darkest Hour, older than RO2, but with a more fleshed-out combined-arms mode.  Perhaps your best bet though is Heroes and Generals.  I've not played it, but I gather it does the progression bit.

I don't know of any WW2 MP games which feature player-controlled tanks and AI infantry, though.

I forgot about Heroes & Generals!

That one actually fits the bill fairly well.  It plays more akin to older shooters, such as the original CoD, albeit with the combined arms and the MOBA-style advancements. 

Just note that you'll be a ground-pounding grunt for awhile before unlocking vehicles & aircraft (and varied weapons + modifications).

I kinda like the somewhat retro FPS gameplay in it, as far as I only rarely do FPSes anymore.  It's not super fancy graphics-wise, but that rarely bothers me; plus it needs relatively little to run well.

Destraex

Heroes and Generals and have played a fair bit of, I like but it's too twitch based for my liking. Basically I want a tank game not a game with lots of superhuman human soldiers running around commando style. Basically if the humans were the tanks and the AI was everything else it would be perfect. Because then infantry would assault in proper formations and defend properly.

I guess the best description would be that I want the infantry/AT guns etc to be like the planes in world of warships. Human controlled but only in general as squads maybe by a command tank (like the carrier in wows).

Michael Dorosh

if you can find the vintage MUZZLE VELOCITY - and a computer to run it on - it might serve your desires. It was a little campy, but had Brit, German and American forces in NW Europe ca. 1944, with a hybrid strategic real time mode, and the ability to jump inside any unit on the map and command in first person mode - including infantry. Some crazy stuff like civilian trains running on the tracks, cows and civilians to run over with vehicles, and the first person infantry view was a bit comical, but pretty revolutionary in its day. All the vehicles had period camo schemes - it was a shame no one ever developed it, or the hybrid RTS/FPS model - further.

More info on my site here:

http://www.tacticalwargamer.com/computergames/muzzlevelocity.htm

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Destraex on April 16, 2017, 09:14:28 AM
I need combined arms for something like this to interest me. I would love to enjoy one of these games but cannot get over the single main gun style of play in a vacuum.
At least world of warships has carriers, DDs with that battlegroup feel. You cannot deploy infantry on water so it does not matter so much.
I need a ww2 tank combined arms sim... one that is multiplayer and preferably has an enjoyable progression tree. Even better if they do not mix nationalities.
Again World of Warships shines here because the warships all look like they could be from the same nation at a distance really. All of them are grey and all of them have sprawling towers. But tanks are very recognisable between nations, designs were vastly different.

Any suggestions or knowledge about infantry, AT weapons, air support and the like being in a MOBA style game with the detail of WOT or WT ??
I don't want human infantry. Just infantry to shoot at that actively hunt me and my own supporting infantry with some basic orders. Perhaps T34 vs Tiger style.

Sounds like you might enjoy Battleground Europe. Back in the day, it used to be called WWIIOnline. http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

Red Orchestra 2 does have the occasional tank in it, but it's definitely more of an infantry multiplayer sim. Boy, can the combat be intense when played on a "realism" server! It's currently my go-to game almost every night.

Destraex

I remember ww2 online... I had a go at it. But it was very slow and the action depended greatly on clans getting together.
My time zone had hardly any players and I don't think their were AI players. It looks very dated now, are they going to overhaul the graphics?

Nefaro

Quote from: Destraex on April 18, 2017, 07:27:37 PM
I remember ww2 online... I had a go at it. But it was very slow and the action depended greatly on clans getting together.
My time zone had hardly any players and I don't think their were AI players. It looks very dated now, are they going to overhaul the graphics?

It looked very dated even back when it was released. 

Surprised it's ran as long as it has.