Strategic Command Classic competition

Started by Boggit, May 08, 2018, 03:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father Ted

I'm back up and running (well, crawling)

Boggit

@All

Yskonyn has resigned from the competition.

Unless anyone has any objection I propose giving his opponents a full win score, and mark all Yskonyn's games as a loss.

The only other realistic option I can immediately think of is remaining players playing his outstanding games (as a means of raising their aggregate score).

Clearly either proposal is likely to skew the results for some players. I am mindful of this, which is why I am seeking consensus from the players so that this can be done as fairly as possible.

Please voice your thoughts. Unless there are persuasive arguments to the contrary I propose that in a week or so's time I update all Yskonyn's opponents with a full win (the delay to allow you to voice your thoughts).
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Millipede

Since both my remaining games were with Yskonyn, I certainly wouldn't object to getting full points ::) but I would feel a little awkward (for 5 minutes or so). I'll be happy with how everyone else wishes to resolve the situation.

JasonPratt

Would it skew the competition if EVERYONE gets a win from him, even in any match he already finished? Seems like that would equalize everything as evenly as possible.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Millipede

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 31, 2018, 07:36:14 PM
Would it skew the competition if EVERYONE gets a win from him, even in any match he already finished? Seems like that would equalize everything as evenly as possible.
Not bad Jason, not bad at all. Either that or zero points for all games with Yskonyn. Six to one, half a dozen to the other probably. Either way seems a more equitable way to proceed.

nelmsm

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 31, 2018, 07:36:14 PM

I do think this would be the fairest thing to do and will let me get one win

Boggit

Well as he hasn't completed any, it is the logical result anyway! ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

And so, per feedback -  the "Yskonyn effect" now applies to all his opponents with a max win to opponents and loss score to Ysk...

Round 1
Weapons and Warfare - 1941-45 Battle for Russia

Millipede (Axis) = 3
Nelmsm (Soviet) =1
Cyrano (Axis) = 1
Iudi1867 (Soviet) = 3
Ethel the Frog (Axis) = 3
Yskonyn (Soviet) = 1
Father Ted (Axis) = 0
Anguille (Soviet) = 0
JasonPratt (Axis) = 1
Shelldrake (Soviet) = 3

Round 2
Patton Drives East - Stalin Drives West

Millipede (Soviet) = 6
Iudi1867 (Allies) = 1
Father Ted (Soviet) = 0
Shelldrake (Allies) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Soviet) = 0
Nelmsm (Allies) =0
JasonPratt (Soviet) = 6
Yskonyn (Allies) = 1
Cyrano (Allies) = 0
Anguille (Soviet) = 0

Round 3
Pacific Theater - 1944-45 Philippines

Shelldrake (Allies) = 5
Iudi1867 (Imperial Japan) = 1
Ethel the Frog (Allies) = 0
Father Ted (Imperial Japan) = 0
Cyrano (Allies) = 0
JasonPratt (Imperial Japan) = 0
Nelmsm (Allies) =5
Yskonyn (Imperial Japan) = 1
Anguille (Allies) = 1
Millipede (Imperial Japan) = 5

Round 4

Shelldrake (Axis) = 3
Ethel the Frog (Soviet) = 1
Anguille (Axis) = 0
JasonPratt (Soviet) = 0
Yskonyn (Axis) = 1
Cyrano (Soviet) = 3
Nelmsm (Axis) = 0
Father Ted  (Soviet) = 0
Iudi1867(Axis) = 1
Millipede (Soviet) = 3

Round 5

Yskonyn (Soviet) = 1
Millipede(Allies) = 5
Iudi1867 (Soviet) = 0
Father Ted (Allies) = 0
Cyrano (Soviet) = 0
Shelldrake (Soviet) = 0
JasonPratt (Allies) = 0
Nelmsm (Soviet) = 0
Anguille (Allies) = 0

Round 6

JasonPratt (Allies) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Imperial Japan) = 0
Father Ted  (Allies) = 0
Cyrano (Imperial Japan) = 0
Anguille (Allies) = 0
Shelldrake (Imperial Japan) = 0
Iudi1867 (Allies) = 5
Nelmsm (Imperial Japan) = 1
Yskonyn (Allies) = 1

Overall Score

Millipede = 27
Iudi1867 = 11
Shelldrake = 11
Nelmsm =7
JasonPratt = 7
Yskonyn = 6
Cyrano = 4
Ethel the Frog = 4
Anguille = 1
Father Ted = 0

Scoring values

Round 1/4
Victory = 3 points
Draw=2 points
Loss=1 point

Round 2/5
Soviet Decisive Victory = 6 points
Soviet Major Victory = 5 points
Soviet Minor Victory = 4 points
Allied Major Victory = 5 points
Allied Minor Victory = 4 points
Draw = 2 points Soviet, 3 points Allied
Loss = 1 point

Round 3/6
Japanese Major Victory = 5 points
Draw = 2 points Allied, 3 Points Japanese
Loss 1 point

JasonPratt

Just in case we're still doing this... ;)

I'm going to concede my game against Shelldrake. (Um, the one where he's Stalin Driving West.)

I had a strategic theory I was testing, and it just isn't working out. Well, it's working out for Shell but not for me!  L:-)

Parts of my theory I think were correct, but couldn't overcome the other parts that were incorrect. As things stand, I'm going to be stuck soon on the western half of the map with Shell controlling all the eastern half and able to logistically outproduce me. There's only one way that ends.

(I also had a problem where I could not for the life of me figure out how to transition ships through the sea lanes. I've had this problem before in this game engine. I even contacted the devs, and their answer confirmed what I thought should work -- except it flat doesn't work. This ended up distracting a significant amount of my British force from defending and counterstriking for too long.)

Lessons learned, and will apply later if I get the chance. :) Congrats to Shell on another win!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Shelldrake

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 06, 2018, 02:24:28 PM
Just in case we're still doing this... ;)

I'm going to concede my game against Shelldrake. (Um, the one where he's Stalin Driving West.)

I had a strategic theory I was testing, and it just isn't working out. Well, it's working out for Shell but not for me!  L:-)

Parts of my theory I think were correct, but couldn't overcome the other parts that were incorrect. As things stand, I'm going to be stuck soon on the western half of the map with Shell controlling all the eastern half and able to logistically outproduce me. There's only one way that ends.

(I also had a problem where I could not for the life of me figure out how to transition ships through the sea lanes. I've had this problem before in this game engine. I even contacted the devs, and their answer confirmed what I thought should work -- except it flat doesn't work. This ended up distracting a significant amount of my British force from defending and counterstriking for too long.)

Lessons learned, and will apply later if I get the chance. :) Congrats to Shell on another win!

I accept your surrender :) However, I did have some worries that you were going to hold onto the UK and have a staging area to take back the continent. My plan was to take Gibraltar in the next turn or 2 so that my 2 subs in the Med could join with my other subs to interdict your sealanes and scout an invasion route to the US mainland.

My games with Father Ted and Anguille have not progressed - hopefully they will send a new turn this weekend!  :-"
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

JasonPratt

Without going into what I still think I did right: the failed part of my theory was that I should focus at first on spending my points on setting up coming improvements. That makes some sense in an early pre-war start; I thought it would make some sense in this start, but I underestimated how weak my starting forces in Europe would be.

Had I been putting more (if not all) of those points into keeping my defensive line alive (where I still had defensive lines), things would have lasted longer.

Boggit

Shelldrake roars into second place. How safe is he?  >:D

Round 1

Millipede (Axis) = 3
Nelmsm (Soviet) =1
Cyrano (Axis) = 1
Iudi1867 (Soviet) = 3
Ethel the Frog (Axis) = 3
Yskonyn (Soviet) = 1
Father Ted (Axis) = 0
Anguille (Soviet) = 0
JasonPratt (Axis) = 1
Shelldrake (Soviet) = 3

Round 2

Millipede (Soviet) = 6
Iudi1867 (Allies) = 1
Father Ted (Soviet) = 0
Shelldrake (Allies) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Soviet) = 0
Nelmsm (Allies) =0
JasonPratt (Soviet) = 6
Yskonyn (Allies) = 1
Cyrano (Allies) = 0
Anguille (Soviet) = 0

Round 3

Shelldrake (Allies) = 5
Iudi1867 (Imperial Japan) = 1
Father Ted (Imperial Japan) = 0
Cyrano (Allies) = 0
JasonPratt (Imperial Japan) = 0
Nelmsm (Allies) =5
Yskonyn (Imperial Japan) = 1
Anguille (Allies) = 1

Round 4

Shelldrake (Axis) = 3
Ethel the Frog (Soviet) = 1
Anguille (Axis) = 0
JasonPratt (Soviet) = 0
Yskonyn (Axis) = 1
Cyrano (Soviet) = 3
Nelmsm (Axis) = 0
Father Ted  (Soviet) = 0
Iudi1867(Axis) = 1
Millipede (Soviet) = 3

Round 5

Yskonyn (Soviet) = 1
Millipede(Allies) = 5
Iudi1867 (Soviet) = 0
Father Ted (Allies) = 0
Cyrano (Soviet) = 0
Shelldrake (Soviet) = 0
JasonPratt (Allies) = 0
Nelmsm (Soviet) = 0
Anguille (Allies) = 0

Round 6

JasonPratt (Allies) = 0
Ethel the Frog (Imperial Japan) = 0
Father Ted  (Allies) = 0
Cyrano (Imperial Japan) = 0
Anguille (Allies) = 0
Shelldrake (Imperial Japan) = 0
Iudi1867 (Allies) = 5
Nelmsm (Imperial Japan) = 1
Yskonyn (Allies) = 1

Overall Score

Millipede = 27
Shelldrake = 17
Iudi1867 = 11
JasonPratt = 8
Nelmsm =7
Yskonyn = 6
Cyrano = 4
Ethel the Frog = 4
Anguille = 1
Father Ted = 0

Scoring values

Round 1/4
Victory = 3 points
Draw=2 points
Loss=1 point

Round 2/5
Soviet Decisive Victory = 6 points
Soviet Major Victory = 5 points
Soviet Minor Victory = 4 points
Draw = 2 points Soviet, 3 points Allied
Loss = 1 point

Round 3/6

Japanese Major Victory = 5 points
Draw = 2 points Allied, 3 Points Japanese
Loss 1 point

JasonPratt

Time for some Philippino action!

... ........ ...really, really not a euphamism.  :hide:

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 08, 2018, 01:05:32 PM
Time for some Philippino action!

... ........ ...really, really not a euphamism.  :hide:
Yeah right... ;) >:D

Shelldrake

Father Ted has had some technical issues getting a turn back to me but nothing from Anguille for some time now....
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell