Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

I agree wholeheartedly with sandman - 4X used to be my favorite genre, now I react to every new title with a shrug.  Not that I don't end up buying them anyway. :)

There have been a couple of recent 4X games that tried to break the mold, but either were ignored (Apollo4X) or met with derision around here (Endless Legend).

Still in early access I have high hopes for Thea:The Awakening which is a 4X based on survival and crafting, with a pretty unique combat system.

Rayfer

Quote from: tgb on October 15, 2015, 06:09:07 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with sandman - 4X used to be my favorite genre, now I react to every new title with a shrug.  Not that I don't end up buying them anyway. :)

There have been a couple of recent 4X games that tried to break the mold, but either were ignored (Apollo4X) or met with derision around here (Endless Legend).

Still in early access I have high hopes for Thea:The Awakening which is a 4X based on survival and crafting, with a pretty unique combat system.

Nice link tgb...thanks, I was unaware of this game. What frightens me though is the tag 'rogue-like'....which usually means incredibly, impossibly difficult even on easy settings. The Steam trailer didn't show much game play but mentions a lot of interesting components to the game. One to keep an eye on.

Anguille

Thanks for the link...looks interesting.

tgb

Quote from: Rayfer on October 15, 2015, 07:16:21 AM

Nice link tgb...thanks, I was unaware of this game. What frightens me though is the tag 'rogue-like'....which usually means incredibly, impossibly difficult even on easy settings. The Steam trailer didn't show much game play but mentions a lot of interesting components to the game. One to keep an eye on.

What makes it a rogue-like isn't the difficulty - difficulty levels were recently added, and you can make it pretty easy on yourself.  The rogue-like aspect comes from the fact that there is only one village and no more than perhaps a couple of dozen inhabitants (at best).  You have to keep the village and inhabitants alive long enough to solve the mystery of the "darkness" that has overcome the world.

The other thing  rogue-like is that your avatar is some sort of god.  Each god comes with a particular perk.  The game starts with two of the gods unlocked, and you unlock others at random by leveling up.  Every game earns your god xp towards that end.

It's an interesting mix of survival/crafting/strategy/choose-your-own-adventure.  The elevator pitch would be it's a 4X King of Dragon Pass.

Boggit

Quote from: tgb on October 15, 2015, 08:48:07 AM
The elevator pitch would be it's a 4X King of Dragon Pass.
Now King of Dragon Pass is one unique game. A sort of role playing strategy game. Great taste tgb! O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

tgb

Quote from: Boggit on October 15, 2015, 11:53:20 AM
Quote from: tgb on October 15, 2015, 08:48:07 AM
The elevator pitch would be it's a 4X King of Dragon Pass.
Now King of Dragon Pass is one unique game. A sort of role playing strategy game. Great taste tgb! O0

Thanks.  So far the writing isn't up to that standard, however.

Nefaro

Quote from: dinsdale on October 14, 2015, 11:32:58 PM

Sorcerer King was supposed to be a new take on it, but it's reviews have been pretty bland. A game I never played, AI Wars also claimed to break the mould, anyone have experience with it?

Sorcerer King is just a highly modified FE:LH.  With better art and  a few parts dumbed-down or changed.   I do like the look of it much more than FE:LH though.  If you've played FE:LH, you'll be quite familiar with the gameplay.  I think it's received mediocre reviews because it initially implied different play styles for the factions, when it first came out in Early Access, but never really did so in the end.   :-\  It's still an enjoyable game but didn't contain what we had expected.

AI War is a great game, and very different.  But it's an RTS, not so much a 4X game.  A very different type of RTS though! 

Both of those titles are predicated upon a big bad empire running the galaxy/land.  You take the part of a nacent rebellion attempting to overthrow them whilst trying to be cautious doing so for fear of ratcheting up reprisals too quickly for you to handle.

RedArgo

They've added a bunch of new developer diaries over the past few months.  I really like the ideas they have.  Good implementation will make this game a classic.

Martok

Yeah, Stellaris has definitely become my most-anticipated game of 2016.  Even Warhammer: TW doesn't have me this excited. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Huw the Poo

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 23, 2015, 05:10:45 PM
stuff

QuoteThere were, and still are, a lot of reasons to be skeptical of Stellaris.

Erm, nope.  I firmly believe that PDS are in the middle of creating a true masterpiece.  If they live up to their experience, they are capable of taking the biggest shit on the space-based 4X genre in its history.  My penis can't throb any harder.

Sparhawk

I am quite excited about this game.If you all are like me you are craving a space game that can capture your imagination and hold it for awhile. I don't need an unattainable perfect game that will never exist, I need to feel like I did for three months after I discovered Aurora for instance. I felt like I was there. I would like this one to be different enough to do that for me.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 23, 2015, 05:21:59 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 23, 2015, 05:10:45 PM
stuff

QuoteThere were, and still are, a lot of reasons to be skeptical of Stellaris.

Erm, nope.  I firmly believe that PDS are in the middle of creating a true masterpiece.  If they live up to their experience, they are capable of taking the biggest shit on the space-based 4X genre in its history.  My penis can't throb any harder.

quite agree - there are 2 games in feb 2016 i will need a mop and bucket for - this and XCOM 2

Huw the Poo

What?! Is Stellaris confirmed for February?!

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 23, 2015, 07:39:26 PM
What?! Is Stellaris confirmed for February?!

Stellaris Releases February 16, 2016

says the ign piece