Roll-Call - Obscure RPGs

Started by bayonetbrant, February 22, 2012, 01:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 29, 2012, 10:35:23 AM
Justifiers was a neat concept/game world, but I think the rules could've been a variation on Star Frontiers, with a bunch of worldbooks instead of a whole new game system.

the creator of Justifiers is apparently pretty active on FB in some of the RPG groups
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

I actually had this one once upon a time

https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/54772/adventures-fantasy

I need to go thru my game boxes and see if I still have the books or not, of if it went in one of the purges during the college years.

I have a lot of off-the-wall RPG stuff tucked into the magazine-sized boxes where I keep my Dragon magazines.  I gotta dig those out some time and see what's in there.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I was in Toy Traders last week and saw that they had a bunch of RPGs from the 80s on the shelf.  Tonnes of Runequest stuff from AH and even a copy of Gygax's Cyborg Commando.  I remember my friend bought that when it was first released.  We played two sessions and all came to the conclusion that it was kind of crap.

Then I went out and bought Gygax's Dangerous Journeys because I also wanted to waste money.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 22, 2017, 12:27:16 PMeven a copy of Gygax's Cyborg Commando.
God that game was such crap

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 22, 2017, 12:27:16 PM
Then I went out and bought Gygax's Dangerous Journeys because I also wanted to waste money.
some of the setting info was OK, but a lot of the rulebook seemed to me to be "I'm going to make it different from D&D just b/c they pissed me off" and not for any game-related reason.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I thought the setting was a bit weak.  Then again, we had been playing a lot of Warhammer at the time and that game was pretty great, setting-wise.

I think the one strength of the game was the depth and variety you got when it came to character creation and levelling.

I think what killed the game for me was that there was complexity where it wasn't needed (keeping track of NPCs was a nightmare as they all had to be designed like PCs and character creation in that game was quite involved), and not enough complexity where more would have been welcome (the combat system had a silly hit location system that consisted of only 4 zones non-vital to ultra-vital or somesuch).   It also had a ridiculous number of acronyms crammed into the game and a lot of them were cutesy puns that made me want to punch kittens in the face.   We played it for about 4-5 months but I found GMing it to be a chore and it kind of fizzled out.  I also recall that the one big module that they did release for the game was set in Egypt and I've never been much of a fan of Egyptian mythology.

BanzaiCat

Saw Paranoia posted many times. I never could find the right group to play that game. Straight-laced D&Ders don't get the humor nor the approach.

Tales From The Floating Vagabond was a favorite of mine, much in the same vein as Paranoia. I was able to find a decent group for that but only got a couple of games in of it, unfortunately. I just noticed there's a kickstarter for a 2nd edition but that was back in 2013; no idea if it's a thing. Guess I'll do some checking.

Dammit Carl!

My favorite, yet not exceedingly not well known, old rpg wasDream Park by R. Talsorian.

Taking the premise from the books, you could play nearly anything in nearly any genre due to the way they did powers/magic/etc. in the rules. The rules themselves were simple enough using d6s and nothing else (iirc). The character sheet could fit on an index card.  Very fond memories of this one.

airboy

I have the:
Monster Hunters RPG
Gamma World
Traveller (including most of the Judges Guild Traveller stuff)
Amber Diceless
Paranoia (including most of the modules)
Trail of Cthulhu
Top Secret
A couple of obscure Turn of the Century setting Adventure games
Tekumel
Champions
Several other more obscure Super Hero games.

and lord knows what else.

bayonetbrant

They're re-releasing Empire of the Petal Throne in the next few months

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cheimison

I'm not sure how obscure these are, but I have Chivalry & Sorcery, plus a huge number of D&D clones:
Adventure Fantasy Game (Very good, buy naow http://lostpages.storenvy.com/collections/220059-adventure-fantasy-game)
Dragons at Dawn
Full Metal Plate Mail
Tekumel (the old D&D version)
and like 60 more that are free PDFs on the interwebs.

I also have a whole lot of custom-made PDFs on medieval Europe and the ancient world that I pasted together from Ars Magica, Cthulhu Dark Ages and the Runequest/d100 medieval books.