Warthog flight stick?

Started by Grim.Reaper, March 05, 2019, 12:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Noticed at Walmart only $196...believe lot cheaper than seen before.  My question is it doesn't come with throttles.  Do you need the warthog throttles or does other less expensive throttles work with it?  It would be hard for me to spend nearly $500 for both of them right now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Flight-Stick/27537234

Grim.Reaper

Guess I should have asked too, is the stick worth $200?  Or better out there?

JudgeDredd

I bought the Warthog - it's splendid indeed. I paid £350 for the stick and throttle. Cost me another £100 for a set of pedals for rudder!.

Stick is well worth the money. The difference between that and my X52 Pro is night and day.

As for the throttle, I imagine you can use it with a different throttle because they aren't "connected". Both the stick and the throttle connect to the PC using USB and don't connect to each other like the X52 throttle and stick.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

The stick is nice and sturdy. If its worth the upgrade without the throttle is depending on what you have right now.
On the other hand you could see it as the part 1 of the upgrade if you plan on getting the throttle later. :)
In general its been the very best hotas I have ever used and mine is getting old; almost 9 years old now and still going strong.

The only thing I am about to change on the throttle is the mouse nib axis thingy. It was always functional, but very twitchy and a guy under the flag of Delta Sim Electronics (UK based) made an easy to install replacement 4 way switch that I've ordered and just received.
( www.deltasimelectronics.com/pages/install-instructions )
Other than that the HOTAS has been super solid.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I just posted about this in the DCS thread. I saw the warthog stock and throttle on the shelf at a local store and bought it on impulse with the cougar MFDs. I thought the x55 rhino I was using was pretty good...until I got the hog. I've been seriously fighting the controls and didn't know just how bad I had it until I upgraded. Worth...every...penny.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

I felt the same way going from a saitek to a wharthog.  It was great, but I used it so much my buttons failed and had to be replaced.  When I opened the metal exterior, I was surprised how cheap the parts were.  So I went to a VKB gunfighter with extension.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Skoop on March 05, 2019, 04:37:31 PM
I felt the same way going from a saitek to a wharthog.  It was great, but I used it so much my buttons failed and had to be replaced.  When I opened the metal exterior, I was surprised how cheap the parts where.  So I went to a VKB gunfighter with extension.

Are you saying the warthog was cheap parts or the saitek?

Yskonyn

Unfortunately while the grip and base of the Warthog is made of metal parts, the ball joint and armature is made of plastic.
Some people believe this should never have been allowed considering the price.
There's also a big thing on the internet about 'striction' of the stick which is identified to being a result of the joint being plastic and lubrication being sub par, at least by the crowd concerned about stiction.

I've never experienced any on my stick though.
I've also never had a button fail on me in 9 years.
Perhaps the initial batches were less cheaply made or the issues are magnified by a disgruntled crowd, I don't know.

What I do know is that VirPil and VKB make top notch peripherals as well, but they are a little more expensive especially if you take shipping into consideration.

The Warthog HOTAS is the most solid commonly found piece of kit, trust us. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jamus34

<<Thread Resurrectus>>

So I recently picked up Elite and SW Squadrons (plus having various iterations of the X series games) and finally looking to throw down coin on a stick / HOTAS setup. I have mostly space games but not adverse to dipping the toe into DCS.

Right now I'm looking at the VKB / Virpil sticks as I'm firmly in the mindset of buy once / cry once since the last stick I had, a Logitec. failed fairly young in it's life when the twist / rudder function would not hold calibration. I like the Warthog but at that price level the quality issues I've heard / read about are somewhat concerning.

My question is, since I'm coming from having no gear should I pick up the VKB Gladiator and use that for a while since it has some added functionality beyond a standard stick or go whole hog and get a Gunfighter MkIII or a Virpil WarBRD / Constellation setup stick and just use keyboard and mouse when needed until I can expand my hardware.

Just wondering if anyone has used the VKB / Virpil gear and can say that the setup up in quality is worth it.

Insert witty comment here.

Yskonyn

I use the WarBRD base with the Warthog stick. Its build quality is great, but the feeling is quite different than that of 'ball joint' sticks.
The cams and spring config (which is variable) offers a somewhat personalized curve and tension setting, but it will always feel different than balljoint joysticks. It takes getting used to.
You can also get a set of CAMs for the WarBRD specifically for space sims (linear tension in all ranges)

One thing to consider is that Virpil and VKB make quality stuff, but its enthousiast high end grade at a premium price.

For a more casual gamer I would rather recommend something like the X52 Pro (fully featured hotas with loads op buttons) or one of the lower grade TM hotas offerings (non Warthog).
Both come with twist sticks, but I know for sure the X52 can be locked.
My X52 has lasted me a long long time.

Rudder twist in general is bad. I'd avoid it if you want to fly accurately. The fact is that the motion in your wrist is limited anatomically and combining stick movement with wrist twist is hard and frankly unhealthy in the long run. Besides the podmeters in the twist range are awfully inaccurate on every stick I've tried.

jamus34

Thanks for the feedback Ysk!

I agree on twist function, one of the reasons I was also looking at sticks that had ability to lock instead of needing an upgrade down the line.

Looks like most of the cheaper HOTAS gear is sold out everywhere, only availability is the secondary market at inflated prices.

I'll wait a bit and see what shakes out but I think right now I'm leaning towards the VKB Gladiator NXT to start with and try to add a throttle / rudder when available.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

To echo some of what Yskonym said, if you're just a casual simmer, you might find one of the less premium sticks to be not only more practical from an economic standpoint, but also more suitable for most of your needs. Personally, for games that do not require a complex set-up, I actually prefer using my TM T.16000m over the Warthog.

That being said, the vast majority of my flight gaming is DCS and so I use the Warthog a lot. I have absolutely no complaints and since I modified the slew sensor, I find that it's pretty damn near perfect. Now, you do hear some people complaining about the quality of this or that, but I think that is because the Warthog is more prolific than other premium HOTAS, and certainly more so than VKB and Virpil products. I don't think I've ever really seen any seriously negative feedback of VKB and Virpil products, but I also think that's because there aren't as many of them in circulation.

In any event, Warthog, VKB, Virpil, it's all fantastic stuff. It is very subjective as far is which will suit one's needs the best.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 03, 2020, 09:12:23 AM
To echo some of what Yskonym said, if you're just a casual simmer, you might find one of the less premium sticks to be not only more practical from an economic standpoint, but also more suitable for most of your needs.

I would have also suggested the stick I have (as a rather casual simmer) and that I like a lot : the Thrustmaster T1600m Hotas & Throttle that Jarhead mentioned.
But back then I paid less than $125 and right now I find them listed at $250 (https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960778-Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS/dp/B01KCHPRXA?ref_=ast_sto_dp) or even no longer available ($500 for the full package with the rudder  !!! https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T16000M-FCS-Flight-Pack/dp/B01N2PE8CZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp)

In that case a Warthog at $450 becomes more appealing.

Yskonyn

Prices being equal I would recommend the Warthog hotas without any regrets.
I have one of the first batches and it never has failed on me, ever. The stiction you read about wasn't a problem on my stick either.
If the stiction becomes a problem for you or you want to replace the plastic balljoint with metal cams you can just buy a base that supports the stick later.

The slew mod JH mentions is another great improvement, but not a necessary thing when you start out.

Be aware about the fact that the TM Warthog comes in two configs; stick only and stick plus throttle. It wont be the first time people thought they'd found and excelllent price only discovering later it was stick only.

Father Ted

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 03, 2020, 09:49:45 AM

I would have also suggested the stick I have (as a rather casual simmer) and that I like a lot : the Thrustmaster T1600m Hotas & Throttle that Jarhead mentioned.
But back then I paid less than $125 and right now I find them listed at $250 (https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960778-Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS/dp/B01KCHPRXA?ref_=ast_sto_dp) or even no longer available ($500 for the full package with the rudder  !!! https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T16000M-FCS-Flight-Pack/dp/B01N2PE8CZ?ref_=ast_sto_dp)

Wow, I didn't realize they were that expensive!  I've had just the stick for years now (bought for £40/$50), and casually recommend it in discussions like this as the best cheap option.