2016 Baseball HoF Ballot

Started by bayonetbrant, November 09, 2015, 11:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

For much of my youth, when I played little league at least, we didn't get games other than two types.  The TBS broadcast of the Braves and the Saturday game of the week.  I watch them both religiously and the Saturday morning this week in baseball.  I collected a bunch of cards that I bought with my own money.  I loved the game. I followed individual players more than teams mostly because my teams weren't on every day or every weekend.  I played 2nd Base and shortstop.   Trammel and Whitaker were the ultimate duo.  Smith was the wizard.  Ripken brought power and grace to the SS position.  It was a different era and time in baseball, before ESPN and the dominance of football over the sporting landscape. 

MetalDog

I was blessed.  Along with the Yankees on WPIX, we had the Mets on WOR (which is where I first heard Tim McCarver (who was very good at the time)), the Red Sox on WSBK and the Braves on WTBS.  I had over 5,000 baseball cards and learned all I could about baseball.  Absorbing books on trivia and the all time greats of the game.  It was my fervent wish and desire to grow up to be a baseball player.  Football was something my father hogged the tv with all day Sunday.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

That's a triangle of horror!  Yankees Mets and Red Socks!  It's surprising the amount of Braves baseball I watched growing up that they aren't one of my teams.  I don't mind watching them, but their season for better or worse makes no impact on my baseball life.  The only Brave I really liked growing up was Dale Murphy.

MetalDog

It certainly helped form my likes and dislikes through the years.

Bison

im just glad you didn't have the Dodgers thrown in for good measure.

MetalDog

Marty Ward

Quote from: MetalDog on November 12, 2015, 05:29:56 PM
First off, the Yankees success was, and is, within the rules of the game as it was played.  When there were no playoffs, they won.  And that was the rule at the time.  Did you want them to have to win twice as many games because they were the Yankees in order to get to the World Series?  You wouldn't ask any other team to do that, so why New York? 

My point about the playoffs was the Yankees didn't do that well for ~25 a year period when they only had to beat 1/2 the number of teams as they did before to get in.  In the modern era, since divisions were formed, they have done well but nothing like in the 30's, 40's or 50's when they won 15 WS in 30 years.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on November 12, 2015, 08:20:17 PM
That's a triangle of horror!  Yankees Mets and Red Socks!  It's surprising the amount of Braves baseball I watched growing up that they aren't one of my teams.  I don't mind watching them, but their season for better or worse makes no impact on my baseball life.  The only Brave I really liked growing up was Dale Murphy.

Weren't the Braves the first club to have their games broadcast nationwide?
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Bison

Quote from: Marty Ward on November 12, 2015, 11:54:36 PM
Weren't the Braves the first club to have their games broadcast nationwide?
I think so because TBS was a cable channel and Turner owned the Braves at the time.  I know some teams like the Cubs have a big broadcast range, because of WGN but WGN isn't or a least wasn't a cable channel.

bayonetbrant

WTBS was an over-the-air channel and local affiliate of the Braves, b/c Turner owned them both.
WGN  was an over-the-air channel and local affiliate of the Cubs, b/c (IIRC) the Tribune company owned them both.

In the early 80s, when cable networks were eager to have add'l channels to entire customers to sign up, both WGN and TBS (which dropped the "W" on cable) were able to negotiate their way onto many cable packages.  Baseball was a major way they were able to do this, since they were able to legitimately offer programming that others couldn't/didn't.  ESPN didn't have a baseball contract back then, and was barely starting out and showing a lot of college hoops.
The net effect - especially for the Cubs - was that a lot of people around the country became fans b/c there were teams they could watch no matter where they were.  In the Cubs case, it was a lot of kids that became fans b/c with no night games, the Cubs were always on TV whenever the kids came home from school or were around the house on a rainy day in the summer.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: Marty Ward on November 12, 2015, 11:51:18 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 12, 2015, 05:29:56 PM
First off, the Yankees success was, and is, within the rules of the game as it was played.  When there were no playoffs, they won.  And that was the rule at the time.  Did you want them to have to win twice as many games because they were the Yankees in order to get to the World Series?  You wouldn't ask any other team to do that, so why New York? 

My point about the playoffs was the Yankees didn't do that well for ~25 a year period when they only had to beat 1/2 the number of teams as they did before to get in.  In the modern era, since divisions were formed, they have done well but nothing like in the 30's, 40's or 50's when they won 15 WS in 30 years.

Their dominance of the 20's through the 50's was over seven other teams.  The American League expanded to ten teams in 1961 and to 12 in 1969.  From '61 to '68, the American League had 9 teams for the Yanks to face, and they won 4 of the 8 Pennants.  Since division play started in '69, there have been various configurations in division with New York.  And while they certainly haven't dominated like the early days, the Yankees have 11 pennants since '69 which is almost double the next closest team, the Oakland A's, who have 6, and the Baltimore Orioles, who have 5.  I would think with more teams to beat, it would be less likely to be able to dominate and that has proven out.  But, it's still New York over everyone else.  That's an accomplishment, don't you think?

Marty Ward

Quote from: MetalDog on November 13, 2015, 07:22:08 AM

Their dominance of the 20's through the 50's was over seven other teams.  The American League expanded to ten teams in 1961 and to 12 in 1969.  From '61 to '68, the American League had 9 teams for the Yanks to face, and they won 4 of the 8 Pennants.  Since division play started in '69, there have been various configurations in division with New York.  And while they certainly haven't dominated like the early days, the Yankees have 11 pennants since '69 which is almost double the next closest team, the Oakland A's, who have 6, and the Baltimore Orioles, who have 5.  I would think with more teams to beat, it would be less likely to be able to dominate and that has proven out.  But, it's still New York over everyone else.  That's an accomplishment, don't you think?

Without a doubt they have been good over their entire existence. But like the Celtics, there was a period where they were unquestionably the best team in the their sport, and perhaps in the world, for a 3 decade period. That will never be repeated.

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 13, 2015, 06:38:09 AM
WTBS was an over-the-air channel and local affiliate of the Braves, b/c Turner owned them both.
WGN  was an over-the-air channel and local affiliate of the Cubs, b/c (IIRC) the Tribune company owned them both.

In the early 80s, when cable networks were eager to have add'l channels to entire customers to sign up, both WGN and TBS (which dropped the "W" on cable) were able to negotiate their way onto many cable packages.  Baseball was a major way they were able to do this, since they were able to legitimately offer programming that others couldn't/didn't.  ESPN didn't have a baseball contract back then, and was barely starting out and showing a lot of college hoops.
The net effect - especially for the Cubs - was that a lot of people around the country became fans b/c there were teams they could watch no matter where they were.  In the Cubs case, it was a lot of kids that became fans b/c with no night games, the Cubs were always on TV whenever the kids came home from school or were around the house on a rainy day in the summer.

Yes I remember seeing both clubs on TV back then. Hell they didn't even broadcast every Oriole game on TV at the time but I could watch NL ball just about every day if I wanted.

Bison

We didn't get WGN, which is why I wasn't sure it was cable network.  Of course you can now pay for MLB Network, but not be able to watch your local market team.  This is a complete pain in the ass if you don't have cable like me, because the local market team is tied to a network provided only over cable.  One would think that a simple revenue scheme would allow me to actually watch the Royals games, if I chose to pay the absurd annual MLB Network fee to watch the games online.  So I just listen to them on the radio now a days for the most part, which is fine because one of my secret joys in life is listening to baseball broadcast over AM radio.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on November 13, 2015, 09:40:02 AM
We didn't get WGN, which is why I wasn't sure it was cable network.  Of course you can now pay for MLB Network, but not be able to watch your local market team.  This is a complete pain in the ass if you don't have cable like me, because the local market team is tied to a network provided only over cable.  One would think that a simple revenue scheme would allow me to actually watch the Royals games, if I chose to pay the absurd annual MLB Network fee to watch the games online.  So I just listen to them on the radio now a days for the most part, which is fine because one of my secret joys in life is listening to baseball broadcast over AM radio.

I'm lucky, or cursed depending on the season. MASN carries both the O's and the Nats so there is always a game on. Lots of times two at once!