Pretty funny...dlc, pay to play, and first access

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 18, 2018, 04:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

saw this on another forum....thought pretty funny

JudgeDredd

lol - we are such suckers and we are to blame for the evil that has crept into our industry

When I say "we", I of course refer to the people that have taken part in such adventures. Like me. Not you lot that said "Nope...ain't doin' it"  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

Ian C

Tpek

1) That's not how DLC was born. They were originally released some time AFTER the game and not with it.
Bethesda started the DLC trend with their Horse Armor for TES4: Oblivion, although expansion packs existed for video games years before that already.

I seem to remember Bioshock 2 was one of the first games that actually had its DLC come out alongside it, with the content itself already being in the disc and installed on the player's computer,
just requiring you to pay more to unlock it, something that caused an uproar at its time.

2) Sadly the the concept of selling "Nothing" that might contain something of worth in it has already been done.
Anyone remembers Peter Molyneaux's "Golden Pick"?

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tpek on October 18, 2018, 05:51:05 AM
1) That's not how DLC was born. They were originally released some time AFTER the game and not with it.
Bethesda started the DLC trend with their Horse Armor for TES4: Oblivion, although expansion packs existed for video games years before that already.

I seem to remember Bioshock 2 was one of the first games that actually had its DLC come out alongside it, with the content itself already being in the disc and installed on the player's computer,
just requiring you to pay more to unlock it, something that caused an uproar at its time.

This is true. DLC has mutated.

Quote2) Sadly the the concept of selling "Nothing" that might contain something of worth in it has already been done.
Anyone remembers Peter Molyneaux's "Golden Pick"?

I think they're called "loot boxes" now.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mikeck

All i can say is that both DLC and Early Access exist  because there is a market for it. People are willing to pay for an incomplete game  if it means they get that early.  And much like airlines that charge you for upgraded seats or more bags or food etc....DLC  keeps the price of games down by allowing you to only purchase the substance that you want.  DLC and digital distribution are why games cost pretty much what they did in 1984 when I was buying them for my Commodore 64. DLC allows developers to sell you the game you want and allows you to build it the way you want to.

I don't get the complaints about either. The free market is a beautiful thing. And no one can force you to buy something you don't want

People make the mistake of complaining that if you want a full and complete game it's actually $59 because you have to purchase certain DLC that should be included in the base game. Well, maybe... but $59 is pretty reasonable considering it's still cheaper (adjusted for inflation) than games have been at any other time.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Rayfer

Quote from: mikeck on October 18, 2018, 11:00:25 AM
All i can say is that both DLC and Early Access exist  because there is a market for it. People are willing to pay for an incomplete game  if it means they get that early.  And much like airlines that charge you for upgraded seats or more bags or food etc....DLC  keeps the price of games down by allowing you to only purchase the substance that you want.  DLC and digital distribution are why games cost pretty much what they did in 1984 when I was buying them for my Commodore 64. DLC allows developers to sell you the game you want and allows you to build it the way you want to.

I don't get the complaints about either. The free market is a beautiful thing. And no one can force you to buy something you don't want

People make the mistake of complaining that if you want a full and complete game it's actually $59 because you have to purchase certain DLC that should be included in the base game. Well, maybe... but $59 is pretty reasonable considering it's still cheaper (adjusted for inflation) than games have been at any other time.

I pretty much agree with all you've written, but I would add one other item.  People like me; older, retired and on fixed incomes...can't afford to put out $50-$60 for new release games.  I wait a year or two (and often far less than that) and pick them up cheap during the Steam sales. I remember years ago getting HOI3 and all of its expansions/DLC for next to nothing, like $5. If others are doing this it has to be hurting the game companies to some degree. Maybe this EA and DLC process is necessary for them to make money??? (that was a question, not a statement)

Ps. what's the difference between an expansion and a DLC?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Rayfer on October 18, 2018, 11:14:48 AM
Ps. what's the difference between an expansion and a DLC?

Semantics, really.  People will have their own definitions, with the size of the content largely being the main delineating factor.  Sometimes the difference is more glaring though, like a whole new campaign (expansion) versus unit skins (DLC).

Ian C

I always thought Early Access came about because of infamously bad public reactions caused by publishers releasing half-finished games.
Early Access seems to be an inspired way to avoid this.

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 18, 2018, 10:28:14 AM
DLC: Damn, Lets Collect!  :-"   

I know this is going to sound dopey, but I really, really like how games are being constructed these days.  The marketting is weird, but the number of different ways you can get and even customize games is fantastic.  What strikes me as strange and totally counter-productive is the massive obsession with grinding away at supposed bad things about games.  Sure most games have problems -- even big problems -- but there are so many games and so much money floating around (which is probably a good thing even if it has painful side-effects) that it seems petty pointless to -- for example -- assemble lists of bad things about games (for example -- misplaced sugar boxes in Black Flag?  or claiming that the notation of some kind of multicultural team is a bad thing about the game -- that is so twisted -- I mean noting the notation of a multicultural team as a bad thing about a game is so, well, twisted).
Anyway, I'd be even happier if there were even more DLC, early access and expansions and mods that turned into expansions and so on -- even if all of those things just add to the need to say bad things about games -- i guess that's somehow part of the dynamic -- thugh I don't get it at all.

Steelgrave

I have such a gaming backlog that I have to really want a game for me to pay full price or make a day-1 purchase. It happens, but 90% of the time I can wait for a Steam sale or dig in and wait a year for the price to fall. I'm playing the hell out of Fallout 4 right now and I just picked it up over the Steam Summer Sale. I picked up all of HOI IV at ridiculous discounts. Makes it easier for me to justify spending full dollar on a game I really want.

Gusington

At this point none of us should be paying full dollar.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

^ That. I can't remember when I paid full price for a new game, but if it's what the public wants or what the seller wants to try, so be it. Free Enterprise isn't free.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.