Syrian Warfare coming Q4 2016

Started by AchillesLastStand, October 27, 2016, 08:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apocalypse 31

I discounted this game, but made the purchase after watching some videos.

I am really surprised with how intense and fun this game can be, and I'm actually blown away with some of the features like the fully destructive environment, and intense close quarters fighting (with kung-fu animations!). On my first mission, I used a fireteam to provide a base of fire and smoke while a second fireteam assaulted a building and started kung-fu kicking insurgents in the face. I love when real-world tactics can be applied in games.

Overall, Syrian Warfare feels like the realism and intensity of Combat Mission meets the easy and fun play-ability of Company of Heroes.

Gusington

Can the player really kung fu fight insurgents?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Finished two missions and I have to say that this game is really engrossing.  It's not so much a twitchy RTS.  And amount of micromanagement is just about right to let you focus on real tactics. Men of War series (including Call to Arms) is more twitchy than this.

One question: in the reinforcement screen what's the difference between taking units from garrison and reserves?

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on June 27, 2017, 07:44:09 AM
Can the player really kung fu fight insurgents?

Is Kwai Chang Caine in this game? That would make it a must buy!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

I've revisited this title since the release of the first DLC pack and I again wanted to highly recommend it. The missions can be very challenging, but they are always very intense and just about as chaotic and destructive as you'd expect the War in Syrian cities to be. I've made it deeper into the original campaign and my OOB has really expanded. I'm working regularly with army units equipped with BMPs, BRDMs and the occasional tank. Initially, you had mostly police and technicals. While having these vehicles is great on the one hand, it in a way is more challenging too because they are extremely valuable and easy to lose in urban warfare, so you have to take more risks with your infantry to support them. Additionally, they burn through fuel and many different types of ammo very quickly, so supply becomes much more important too.

The terrain system is really amazingly too. Man...these cities come apart. The physics system and destruction of buildings is really impressive.

Anyway, the politicing is still a drag. But I try my best to ignore it and take it for what it is.

By the way, I've only experimented briefly with the DLC, but there are Russians and they are pretty badass.

If there is one downside to the game, it's that there is still no skirmish mode. It's all scripted campaign missions. Many people are begging the developer for a skirmish option, so we'll see what happens.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

Thanks for reminding me about this game.  I was actually deep into the campaign but stopped.

GeneralHawk

Jomni, hover over the title and it is explained.  Basically the garrison units even if you don't use them in the mission are carried over as part of your force into the next mission.  This really adds a nice force management layer....if you move forces to the reserves they won't be part of available force pool in the next mission necessarily.  Vanguard is what you deploy/have on the ground and combined with garrison equals what you carry over.  This means that managed correctly you can save forces in garrison with extra points you may not use/need during a given mission. 

Quote from: jomni on July 10, 2017, 01:34:08 AM
Finished two missions and I have to say that this game is really engrossing.  It's not so much a twitchy RTS.  And amount of micromanagement is just about right to let you focus on real tactics. Men of War series (including Call to Arms) is more twitchy than this.

One question: in the reinforcement screen what's the difference between taking units from garrison and reserves?
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Jarhead0331

I'm struggling with the fourth mission of the original campaign, but I am having an absolute blast with it. Its 2015 on the outskirts of Aleppo.  This was a low point for the pro-government Assad forces. I've finally been entrusted with some really legitimate military assets, but there are just so many of the enemy and the mission objectives have my forces moving all over the map. Some of the missions are time sensitive and I just don't have enough men to be everywhere at once, especially when there are large pockets of terrorists prepared to ambush all along the way.

Seriously, I haven't played an RTS this intense in a long time. I love the MoW series, but this game just has an air of authenticity for some reason.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Barthheart

I hate the truck bombs in this game!  :pullhair:

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Barthheart on November 21, 2017, 09:59:50 AM
I hate the truck bombs in this game!  :pullhair:

Yup. Suicide bombers definitely suck, but when they get blasted before they reach your lines, they are a lot of fun.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

GeneralHawk

haha same feeling...just a joy of tension to play....great game.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 21, 2017, 09:51:01 AM
I'm struggling with the fourth mission of the original campaign, but I am having an absolute blast with it. Its 2015 on the outskirts of Aleppo.  This was a low point for the pro-government Assad forces. I've finally been entrusted with some really legitimate military assets, but there are just so many of the enemy and the mission objectives have my forces moving all over the map. Some of the missions are time sensitive and I just don't have enough men to be everywhere at once, especially when there are large pockets of terrorists prepared to ambush all along the way.

Seriously, I haven't played an RTS this intense in a long time. I love the MoW series, but this game just has an air of authenticity for some reason.
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Jarhead0331

Holy crap! I finally beat that 4th campaign mission. Poor town...we really did level it to the ground. Over 560 Daesh fighters killed with over 33 vehicles destroyed. Our forces suffered 33 KIA and 7 vehicles destroyed. Two squads of Russian Marines showed up toward the later half of the battle and really tore $hit up.

Next mission has me moving into Damascus...its going to be ugly.

Great great stuff here...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

On sale right now at Steam for 50% off...it's in my cart for post-Thanksgiving purchase.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Yeah - it helps that I don't play many games set in contemporary conflicts.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd