Adventures in Mini painting with my Daughters...Part I

Started by Jack Nastyface, May 14, 2014, 03:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Nastyface

Attended a recent "paint and take" event with my 12 year old.  Here are the results.
Mine is the bug-eyed cleric on the left; my daughter painted the warrier princess on the right.
I chose the cleric because of the robes.  I used the following method:  paint mid-shade first, then do dark shadowing, then do 2 layers of high-lighting for the "stand out" areas.  If I was to do a robe/cape mini again, I think I would do a base coat of dark shadow, then blend (which I am not very good at) the medium tone, then finally do high-lights.  Admittedly, lighting conditions were not ideal in the hobby store and I see f**k all detail without some good reading glasses.
I suppose practice makes perfect, but there are lots of simple techniques I could have used, but our instructor was just a little timid with the class.
Comments or recommendations on technique appreciated.
Yours in gaming,
Jack Nastyface

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

as for painting eyes, I've always found that the less you do the better the effect.  for what they are your daughter nailed it.

less:

the problem stems from the fact that you paint minis up close and personal but you play with them at a distance.  I'd say 90% of people don't even think about the latter.   hold them at arms length and see how they look. 
great job on the sleaves btw but your daughter is naturally better at it then you.  O0

Jack Nastyface

Star,
Oh Captain, my Captain...I knew I could count on you for meaningful feedback.
The instructor showed up, opened her collection of Reaper paints and said (I am quoting almost verbatim): "look at your figure and figure out what you want the main feature to be (a shield, a robe, etc) then do a base coat.  After that, do some shading and some highlights."  No explanation of why, how, technique, etc.  I basically had to ask her leading questions like "so how should we paint chainmail?" or "would you dry-brush the hair?" and "primer: white, grey or black?"  Although she was a talented artist (her sample figures were very good) she had no presentation skills or instructional material.  Perhaps I am being too critical (I facilitate presentations for health care professionals as part of my job), but I was hoping for something more than "free figure and paints".  She didn't even critique student work / progress, and if I hadn't thrown her about 8 or 9 softball questions she would have said about 10 sentences over the course of three hours.

I saw a youtube a little while ago that featured a good demo on how to do skin etc for 28mm figs.  Basically the artist started with the whites of the eyes, then builds up from there.  I think I like that technique cause it seems to allow you to "shape" the eyes with your first base coat of flesh.  It's funny...but looking at the close up photo (taken with a flash) shows all kinds of flaws that I couldn't see with my nekkid eye under crappy hobby store florescent light.   Maybe I will use "progress photos" for QA in the future...

Best regards and kind thanks again,

Jack Nastyface

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

GDS_Starfury

Im glad to help.
a thing to keep in mind is that Ive never seen flesh colored paint that looks like skin.  the example picture I posted is more a light yellow with washes over the base.  though I admit this is far easier to do with 1/35 scale figures and larger because the body parts are usually separate pieces that can be held by toothpick.
you should also consider what kind of tools and paint youre using.  its a good idea to go raid your wifes makeup applicators as theyre great for shadows and buffing.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 15, 2014, 12:02:05 AM
as for painting eyes, I've always found that the less you do the better the effect.  for what they are your daughter nailed it.

less:

the problem stems from the fact that you paint minis up close and personal but you play with them at a distance.  I'd say 90% of people don't even think about the latter.   hold them at arms length and see how they look. 
great job on the sleaves btw but your daughter is naturally better at it then you.  O0

I don't know who's work that is above, but is _very_ impressive. Congrats!
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys