Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

GDS - That's an awesome photo of the Idaho.
Al

mirth

QuoteGunfire damage to the U.S.S. San Francisco after the Battle of Guadalcanal - November 13 1942

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteThe Great White Fleet lies off Old Point Comfort

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

From the stern aspect in this photo, my first thought was this was the old Soviet, Moskva.
But what was an Osprey doing on her?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: besilarius on December 30, 2014, 09:12:17 PM
From the stern aspect in this photo, my first thought was this was the old Soviet, Moskva.
But what was an Osprey doing on her?

I dont see that mistake can be made.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

besilarius

The visual identification of the Moskvas was the abrupt cut off of the superstructure.
This picture shows the stern view and in it there seemed a resemblance.

Never saw the Moskva, but we all wanted to.  Our DCA was a fellow named Gene Reid, who was very clever.
The phone system was like a party line.  When you were on the line, you heard everyone else who was on.  He was waiting to speak to the duty in Damage Control Central when a message went out on the 1MC, general announcing speakers.  It called for the Operations Officer and CIC officer to call the bridge.
Then the CICO called the bridge to ask what was up.  The boatswain mate of the watch asked him to hold while he found out.
This was too much for Gene, he waited a second and then said, "Mr. Gallagher, Mr. Gallagher...it's da Moskva!"
When Gene got to the bridge, both Ops and CICO were there with binoculars saying, "Where is she?"  and the bridge watch looking at them like they'd lost their minds.
Gene couldn't keep a straight face and started laughing.  Nearly was tossed into the water.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

Illustrious and Queen Elizabeth

mirth

QuoteHMS Britannia (l) and HMS Hindostan (r) as cadet training ships, Dartmouth, England.

mirth

QuoteUSCGC Duane in the North Atlantic.

mirth

QuoteThe ill-fated HMS Victoria. Flagship of the Med Fleet under Adm George Tyron, she was rammed and sunk by HMS Camperdown when the admiral inexplicably ordered the two lines of ships to turn towards each other. She is now buried bow first (perpendicular) into the bottom of the Med.

mirth

QuoteAEGIS cruiser Yorktown, and the destroyer O'Bannon, making a port visit among the ex-Soviet Navy's cream. 1992, Severomorsk

mirth