A Whale of a Strategy Game...

Started by Jarhead0331, January 18, 2018, 10:52:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

This actually looks like it may be worth a look.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/621220/Nantucket/

Chase after Moby Dick, and live through the Golden Age of American whaling in this seafaring strategy game. Set sail around the world, manage your ship and crew, and live Ishmael's story, the sole survivor of the Pequod, a few years after the events narrated by Herman Melville in his masterpiece.

Set sail and explore the seas
Set sail around the world, visit cities, and increase your prestige by hunting whales, landing jobs, and searching for new adventures.

Be the captain you want to be
Develop your character in true RPG fashion, by increasing your stats, choosing your reactions, and developing your seafaring skills.

Manage your ship and crew
Hire and manage your crew, give them tasks on your ship, and improve your ship with new compartments, expanding your ship's capabilities.

Experience the Golden Age of whaling
Experience more than a thousand unique events tailored around your choices—and face the results of your actions.

Hunt whales and fight pirates
Discover new whaling areas, hunt whales for blubber, and protect your ship from pirates using a turn-based combat system.

Chase after Moby Dick
Follow an original story line and complete quests to unveil the secrets behind Moby Dick and dissolve Ahab's curse.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

airboy

That is an interesting game concept.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

JarHead, after those first two screenshot dates, I was expecting something from December 7th to come up next.  It's funny how, for all the rich history, there are only a few really magical dates surrounding WW II.

Ah well, you got a couple of the biggest ones in American history!   :bd:

Greybriar

Nantucket is also available from GOG.com for $16.19 -- same as Steam.

and a YouTube by James Allen:

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Ian C

Jarhead0331

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 18, 2018, 01:27:56 PM
JarHead, after those first two screenshot dates, I was expecting something from December 7th to come up next.  It's funny how, for all the rich history, there are only a few really magical dates surrounding WW II.

Ah well, you got a couple of the biggest ones in American history!   :bd:

LoL...didn't even notice those!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

I'm definitely going to snag this game.

BTW, I live barely a 1/2 hour from the world's last seaworthy wooden whaling ship (the Charles W. Morgan).

Here's a little mood-song to persuade other buyers:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

"Aye, Moby Dick, broach your last to the sun.  Thy hour and thy harpoon are at hand."
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Sir Slash

PETA's gonna be after you guys. Just saying.  :-X
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

I visited the Charles Morgan last summer; I'm about an hour or so from there +/-.  That is a really neat place to visit.  I'm reading a book on whaling right now and I'm thinking of taking another trip to the seaport so I can explore it solo without the distraction of kids.

Not sure on the game, though.  I was looking for a whaling game after Xmas when I got this book and came across this, but it's not what I am looking for.  I watched James Allen's review for as long as I could stand his voice (about 20-30 seconds) and the game didn't really grab me.

I look forward to you's guys' impressions.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Incidentally, the book is Men and Whales by Richard Ellis.  I've read a few of Ellis' books and I enjoy his style.

It's a beautiful book, large and full of info.  Not a quick read at all.  It's more coffee table book size than novel size.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd