WAR OF RIGHTS - First 20 minute play with people. CIVIL WAR FPS

Started by Destraex, December 08, 2017, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok got in on a little event at around 10.30am sat morning (AU EST +10). Only about 8 men per side on an 80 person server. But wow this game is great fun. Why? Because actual re-enactors who take it seriously are on. Drilling us to the front. What's more. Because it's not really that popular yet, the troops actually properly follow commands. The game is also great in that it has the actual animations for the correct moves. For instance their is a button to shoulder arms. Then to go to double quick which preserves stamina, you first have to change shoulder with Shift-x (rather than x which is shoulder) then press C to switch to double quick march. Then of course we right, left and oblique faced. We tried firing by lines as well, which means the person to the right fires first and as his musket\rifle butt hits the ground to reload you then fire and so on until the whole line has fired. I wish holdfast was more like this. I can tell you also that these american civil war weapons are deadly accurate. We also fixed bayonets and charged using drill commands from the re-enactors. Once across I was told to cover a man while he reloaded. Really good stuff and great for learning how these guys operate without having to go over to the US. Over all I love this game so far. It did however crash me to desktop half way through a battle. But quick to load back up again and apart from that, as you can see. The graphics are many times better than holdfast.  The mechanics more realistic and the reload animation much more detailed just for starters.

Combat seems to revolve around capturing objectives.
I actually wish holdfast was like this as I do like the napoleonic period better.

The game is still missing artillery and cavalry from what I can see and apparently there has been no update to the game for some time. The servers are only populated on the weekend from what I am told

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Graphics look great, love the civil war, but multiplayer only makes it a no go.....too bad

Destraex

Grim it's pretty slow to play. The fun I get out of it is the people talking (holding down N for voice) and marching us around the place.
What exactly about this periods very slow mechanics would disadvantage you in multiplayer? Although I must admit when we got separated after a bayonet charge across a bridge, things became pretty intense. A few of us got surrounded. I actually feel really out of place in this game with my Australian accent. Perhaps I should try putting on an American one? :P

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on December 08, 2017, 07:12:56 PM
Grim it's pretty slow to play. The fun I get out of it is the people talking (holding down N for voice) and marching us around the place.
What exactly about this periods very slow mechanics would disadvantage you in multiplayer?

Just don't like playing multiplayer games.....prefer to play when I want and not have to worry about how other players feel about my lack of skill.  Much prefer a good single player campaign type game.

Destraex

Yes, I agree with your sentiment. When you want to relax and play a game. Multiplayer can have the opposite effect.

bbmike

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 08, 2017, 07:03:16 PM
Graphics look great, love the civil war, but multiplayer only makes it a no go.....too bad

+1
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jomni

Destraex

No idea until I check for their regular game times and see the real numbers.

Destraex

Logged on just then. For me it's around midday on a Sunday.
A battle with a fair few people in it. I was getting 30fps. This game has all the atmosphere of a great picnic in the country side. It's beautiful.

Bit over exposed sometimes. Hard to see the enemy way down their with all the smoke and sunlight.

Some good ole boys.

Slick Wilhelm

Crap, I logged onto steam and discovered that I can't purchase the game. It's not available yet. Any idea if I can get invited into Alpha testing?

IronX

Destraex

Yes it's pretty expensive to get into the early alpha at the moment. But still not ridiculously so I would not say. Depends whether you think $70 is worth it or will play havoc with your mortgage repayments or coffee/beer/smoke plans for the week. I don't drink alcohol, coffee or smoke. Although the only one I am really against is smoking. So that covers my gaming.

Here is Hinkel (war of rights dev) responding to me on the holdast forums about war of rights when I was asking about patch releases.

"Hello!

I do not understand your worries to be honest. We released 85 !!! patches within 1 year of the closed alpha.
Just take a look at the patch log thread:
http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?1888-War-of-Rights-Patch-Notes

We released nearly 1 update each week.

Right now, we are in a complete engine update, which needs a decent amount of time. We always post progress on facebook, showing the new things, maps and other awesome things of the upcoming patch :)
The Cryengine is a very hard and different engine, compared to the more "easy" Unity engine of Holdfast. There is a huge free market for scripts, assets and such, which makes Unity Games more easy to program.

We have a team of 10 guys, most of them working full time on War of Rights. Our 2 Programmers working on full time on the new patch, so you don't need to worry. Engine Upgrades need weeks of coding sadly.

Also: Holdfast will stay more arcade, they always said that. It won't be a simulation like War of Rights. They aim for a different kind of gamers.

Cheers,
Hinkel"

Jarhead0331

I notice only the political flag of the Confederacy depicted in your screenshots. Please tell me the more ubiquitous (and infamous) battle flag is not censored from the game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I could not tell you sorry. The developers are actually Norwegian believe it or not. Given what has happened recently I would not be surprised if history is censored yet again.
Tell me. Which side would you guys join a regiment in this game in? Confederacy or Union.
I have an Australian friend who says he would prefer Union but will not balk at the confeds if I decide they are more fun to play.
I imagine you guys have opinions on who the best troops/generals and most fun to play would be.
The union seem to be the "we won eventually through sheer industrial might and numbers. But that may be over simplifying things.
The confeds seem to be more skilled and like vietnam winning most battles but losing the war eventually as they were starved of resources etc. The rebel yell and flag are intriguing to me. but the union do seem to have "right" and "might" on their side.

Toonces

Only commenting on what you've said, Des.  Sounds like you are having fun, which is great.  But a game like this really needs a map full of players, if my experience in M&B:N is any example. 

8v8 with muzzle loaders....yawn.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs