Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 18, 2018, 10:17:34 AM
I got further as the Dwarves than anyone else. But the Orcs just kept coming at me and, like in Gus' latest blog, they had lots of upgraded units way beyond mine. Finally lost interest in continuing the struggle, but now that I know it's possible to win.....

Being among the strategically handicapped gamers I often play this type of game on a less than normal difficulty setting....and I still have a tough time surviving.   :-\

Silent Disapproval Robot

I got further as the Dwarves than anyone else. But the Orcs just kept coming at me and, like in Gus' latest blog, they had lots of upgraded units way beyond mine. Finally lost interest in continuing the struggle, but now that I know it's possible to win.....

There seemed to be three major crisis chokepoints where the game just threw everything it could at me.   The first was the major push by the Orcs.  I managed to ambush their killer army with my two main stacks in the Underway and finish them off.  Then it was just a war of attrition to pick all the tribes off.  Second was breaking out of the starting area and getting past the vampires.  I never really did manage this and the AI empires did most of the work for me.  Fortunately the vampires were pretty weak when the Chaos armies showed up and so sued for peace.  I'd gotten my ass handed to me by the Chaos armies landing raiders to the south before so I kept 4 big armies garrisoned down there this time and I was able to grind up the landing parties this time round.

The big thing that let me finally beat the game was constantly offering the other Dwarf tribes the confederation option in the diplomacy screen.  I dumped most of my early research into diplomacy skills and kept sucking up to the other Dwarf clans until relations got to a high enough level where they'd join my empire.  Good way to get lots of money and armies for cheap.

Sir Slash

I was able to confederate with the other Dwarf tribes pretty easy too. The problem was most of them had crap for settlements, were way out of their budgets, and almost no troops to defend with. They were more a liability than an asset.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tuna

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 18, 2018, 10:40:15 AM

There seemed to be three major crisis chokepoints where the game just threw everything it could at me.   The first was the major push by the Orcs.  I managed to ambush their killer army with my two main stacks in the Underway and finish them off.  Then it was just a war of attrition to pick all the tribes off.  Second was breaking out of the starting area and getting past the vampires.  I never really did manage this and the AI empires did most of the work for me.  Fortunately the vampires were pretty weak when the Chaos armies showed up and so sued for peace.  I'd gotten my ass handed to me by the Chaos armies landing raiders to the south before so I kept 4 big armies garrisoned down there this time and I was able to grind up the landing parties this time round.

The big thing that let me finally beat the game was constantly offering the other Dwarf tribes the confederation option in the diplomacy screen.  I dumped most of my early research into diplomacy skills and kept sucking up to the other Dwarf clans until relations got to a high enough level where they'd join my empire.  Good way to get lots of money and armies for cheap.

hmm the one game that I got far in, it was a Dwarf tribe that overwhelmed me!

airboy

I won at the Lt. Level in Order of Battle WW2: Sandstorm.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Congrats.  I need to get back into my campaign.  I was struggling as the Brits with the final mission of the Burma Road DLC but still enjoying myself.  Then they patched the game and I got Slitherine's annoying bug where they see joysticks as gaming consoles and the map starts scrolling all over the place.  As usual, they said they'd fix it but they can't.

Sir Slash

Congrats on the win Airboy. You are a credit to Gorgheads everywhere.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

Damn Spell Check! Grogheads, not gorgheads dammit!

JasonPratt

Some of us gorge our heads on an occasional basis.

Or a regular basis.

So, still works!  :bd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Finished up Bioshock infinite DLC Burial at Sea episode 1&2, about 8 hours to finish both. Episode 2 turned out to be the toughest one for me, including Infinite. You have to use stealth a lot in episode 2. That concludes the Bioshock franchise for me. Clash in the Clouds DLC are challenge maps, not story driven, not going to bother. Since Irrational Games closed, alas no more shock games it seems. Curious to see what Ghost Story Games[new studio of Irrational employees, including Levine] come up with.

Next on tap will be Dishonored 1, trying to hack away at my back log.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Sir Slash

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Now I don't feel so bad. Thanks bbmike.  :notworthy:

Silent Disapproval Robot

I completed the story campaign in Mad Max.  It was a looonnnngggg game.  I had an 86% completion rating which is good enough for me.  I enjoyed it for the most part but it can get repetitive.  I never really did get the hang of car combat.  I found it easier to bail out and hide in some rocks or a building and force other drivers to get out of their cars and come after me.  Hand-to-hand combat was much easier for me.

Anguille

Finally completed my first Grand Campaign in Oriental Empires: Cultural Victory. It's really a great game but i find it hard to win. Imho, the greatest challenge is that the map is so big that the AI empires can grow very big and make a lot of points.