The "Holy %$%# It's Hot Out There" Summer 2018 Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, April 02, 2018, 07:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

So it's not the padded handcuffs that keep you there?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

https://www.esa.int/spaceinvideos/Videos/2018/07/From_green_to_brown_in_a_month (Video in the link)

As this year's heatwave continues, the Copernicus Sentinel-3 mission reveals once again how the colour of our vegetation has changed in just one month. These two images cover the same area: part of Ireland, the UK, the Netherlands, Belgium, part of Germany and part of France, but the difference between them couldn't be more striking. The first, captured on 28 June 2018, is predominantly green, depicting healthy vegetation. The second, captured on 25 July 2018, however, is mainly brown, showing just how much the vegetation has changed owing to the long hot dry spell Europe has been enduring over the last weeks.

http://www.esa.int/spaceinvideos/Videos/2018/07/Denmark_scorched
https://www.esa.int/spaceinvideos/Videos/2018/07/Berlin_battles_heatwave

Gusington

Is this the longest dry spell for Western Europe in a long, long time? Like a 100 year event? I don't think I ever remember anything like this there in my lifetime...flooding yes, but not drought.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2018, 06:52:10 AM
Is this the longest dry spell for Western Europe in a long, long time? Like a 100 year event? I don't think I ever remember anything like this there in my lifetime...flooding yes, but not drought.

Last one like this was in 1976 were I live, but it looks like this time it is worse.   First time in my life I don't have to mow the lawn in 3 months (because there is no grass left  :'()
For countries like Sweden it might be the first time ever.

Spain and Portugal might reach 50° C in one of the next days and this will be an all time record.

Rain in May was exceptional low (happens once in 30 years).  Rain in June was exceptional low. Rain in July was exceptional low.  Average temperature in July was 5° C above average (happens once in 30 years).  Average temperature in May & June was 4° C above average (happens once in 30 years)

Probability of 3 exceptional months in a row ? ? ?

It is a good thing we have Trump or we would think climate change is real  :crazy2:  :uglystupid2:.

Gusington

Hahaha - funny and sad because it's true.

What's the next three month's forecast look like for you?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

My brother and his family went to Germany (to hang out a few weeks with family-friends of their family) back in July (a dog and beet farm near Cologne), and they felt straight-up betrayed by the expectations of cooler than usual weather! -- they packed a bunch of jackets and warm items!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on August 03, 2018, 08:11:47 AM
Hahaha - funny and sad because it's true.

What's the next three month's forecast look like for you?

We don't have those type of forecasts.  Our national weather office only makes predictions for 7 days and most of the time they are already quite useless after 5 days.

In the past if we had 14 days of uninterrupted summer weather we all would say it was a splendid summer (a normal July or August month means 15 days with rain !).

But now we are around week 10 of summer weather in a row (with most days temperatures far above average), and every time they predicted a chance of rain it didn't happen.

As we are not used to this most crops will die in the fields.  Farmers are feeding their animals right now with food that was meant to be used in winter.

Based on the very strong high pressure areas above Europe that blocked all weather over the Atlantic Ocean from coming in for the past weeks I wouldn't be surprised if this continued for the next couple of weeks.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Alabama and the rest of the SE USA has been much cooler and wetter than normal.  Crops are excellent.  Gulf stream is running lower which is keeping rain systems bottled up.  Thus, more clouds, cooler weather and rain.  Coolest summer and wettest in around thirty years.

Gusington

Summer in Orange County NY started out very hot and dry and now it is very hot and wet. To quote Robin Williams as Adrian Cronauer in Good Morning Vietnam, that's good if you're with a lady, not good if you're in the jungle.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

em2nought

Quote from: airboy on August 04, 2018, 03:14:12 PM
Alabama and the rest of the SE USA has been much cooler and wetter than normal.  Crops are excellent.  Gulf stream is running lower which is keeping rain systems bottled up.  Thus, more clouds, cooler weather and rain.  Coolest summer and wettest in around thirty years.

...and also on the plus side much less hurricane"d"

Two days ago it almost felt like fall, today and yesterday not so much, not so much at all. lol
Stolen elections have consequences.

airboy

A part of the wildfire problems on the left coast is stupidity.

California, Oregon and Washington spend far less on clearing dead trees than they did in previous decades.  Clearing dead timber is part of the dreaded "forestry" that the eco-loons hate.  This builds up a huge amount of easily burnable material.  As a result, when conditions for a fire are good the fires themselves are much, much worse than they would be with rational forestry programs.

You are always going to get years of drought and high temps.  If you don't manage your forests properly, you get a huge buildup of fuel which makes the fires much, much worse.

Let me provide a counter-example.  Huge parts of Alabama and Mississippi are forest.  Wood products is a huge industry in both states because of the climate, low property taxes, and low electricity costs (making paper, lumber etc.... requires electricity as a major input).  We had a multi-year severe drought in the SE.  We had some fires.  The fires were not horrific because we have rational forestry practices and the fuel buildup was not so bad.  The West has the same conditions now that we had in the SE several years ago and they are going up in flames.

The left coast is suffering in noticeable ways from their stupid State government policies over decades.

bayonetbrant

It's not all eco-loons.  There's also been (1) significant cutbacks in CDF's budget because of CA's overall budget problems, and (2) significantly less time spent on preventive care of forests because they're fighting fires elsewhere.

People building further and further from key urban infrastructure (i.e., water lines / hydrants) as in-town real estate prices skyrocket doesn't help anything.

There are far, far more meaningful fiscal reasons for this problem than just yelling at the Sierra Club for something that isn't heavily their fault, and with that, we'll avoid discussing policy because fires are only tangential to the overall weather thread, and too far down this road and we're going to RPFW.

There was no real need to throw in "eco-loons" or other policy discussion about forest fires in a discussion of overall weather.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Couple of comments.

It is not just the eco-loons that want forest fire suppression - that allows for fuel load build up in the forests.
Big difference in forest ecologies between those states you've mentioned. Some forests depend on burns to keep themselves healthy, mature trees are more resistant to fire mortality than others.
A managed forest is not the most profitable forest when you throw in all the other uses of forests like tourism, grazing, hunting, fishing. (heavily managed forests are less productive).

For definitional purposes, eco-loons are those conservationists on the extreme where their hypocritical stances are very apparent (e.g., driving to a pipeline protest, anti-vaxxers)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.