Help? - Airboy New Computer Build

Started by airboy, March 22, 2018, 07:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Go for Agat-9. Is superior product.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

airboy

Quote from: Con on March 23, 2018, 12:40:34 PM
I recently (<6months ago) got an Alienware

There are a lot of strong opinions on Alienware (cost/visual etc) but I have always liked them.  Here is a review that helped me decide and cost was not a major differentiatior between making my own and buying.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/alienware-aurora-r7,review-4889.html

How quiet does it run?

I looked at the auroras and I'd have to configure in a number of things beyond the standard system.  My last alienware looked great, but sounded like a net aircraft and weighed a ton.

Con

Quote from: airboy on March 24, 2018, 08:21:47 PM
Quote from: Con on March 23, 2018, 12:40:34 PM
I recently (<6months ago) got an Alienware

There are a lot of strong opinions on Alienware (cost/visual etc) but I have always liked them.  Here is a review that helped me decide and cost was not a major differentiatior between making my own and buying.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/alienware-aurora-r7,review-4889.html

How quiet does it run?

I looked at the auroras and I'd have to configure in a number of things beyond the standard system.  My last alienware looked great, but sounded like a net aircraft and weighed a ton.
I had the first generation alienware Aurora (with the flaring vents and lighting on the outside).  this was a solid steel case and was built tank heavy.  Loved the case but noise when the PC exhausted did make it sound like a jet spooling up.

New Aurora is much smaller footprint (Id estimate half the length and 2/3ds the width) of the original.  I used to keep the older Aurora under the desk because it was so heavy/big and the noise when exhausting was pretty intense.  The new Aurora is actually sitting on my desk now (so the lighting customization is now visible).

Noise is negligible with one big caveat

When i received the new Aurora it had a high pitched annoying whine that emanated from the PSU.  I looked it up and saw there were a lot of threads on Alienware support about this and it was called a coilwhine.  Many opinions and solutions were offered on how to mitigate it with the prevalent theory it was from a particular batch/man year/type of PSU that Alienware was using in the new Auroras.  Alienware was also aware that this was an issue and they sent me a replacement PSU.  After about two weeks it too started experiencing the same coil whine.  It only occurred at heavier graphic intense moments when I guess the computer needs all the electrons getting pushed and fans blowing.

I had read that people experiencing this problem while appreciative of the support were finding themselves in this loop of getting replacements from Alienware/having them work for a period of time/then at some later point coilwhine reappearing.  I followed the crowds advice and purchased and installed a much higher quality recommended PSU unit into the PC - Corasair AX860 for $170 from Amazon. 

Consider that if you are looking at an Aurora - The vast majority of customers dont seem to have any problems but if you do have coilwhine it might be easier on your hearing and time to just go ahead and get the non-stock PSU.  The extra cash was worth the not having to go through multiple rounds of PSU replacements from Alienware.

Now mine is whisper quiet (I cant hear it at all and its about 2 feet away from my head on my desk), great to look at, much smaller and incredibly fast.

Con

jamus34

At this point in time due to cryptominers jacking vid card pricing I cannot support build your own. The major builders all have locked in hardware pricing.

Always wanted a Falcon. I've heard nothing but great things from those rigs but they have the price tag to match.
Insert witty comment here.

airboy

I decided to get the Falcon.  The performance of my previous 2 were so good and I don't want to have more things to worry about.

airboy

I am grounded computer wise until my new rig arrives.  On the bright side, I need to do my taxes.