Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

That will leave a mark.

A little wire brushing, a little red lead...
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

The battleship California was launched at Mare Island Naval Shipyard in Vallejo in 1919. The ship failed to stop in the channel and continued across coming to rest in the mud on the Vallejo side, smashing into a dock before stopping. There were young boys sitting on the pilings to watch the launching and they dived out of the way.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Russia has once more decided to proceed with the long delayed refurbishment and upgrade of its nuclear-powered Kirov class battlecruiser the 28,000 ton Admiral Nakhimov.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htsurf/articles/20191022.aspx

This is probably more about finding work for shipyard workers and having prestige for Russia, than a real need of the fleet.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

A comparison of British and American anti-aircraft fire control systems in World War II.

This Committee's major conclusion in regards to destroyers was that high level bombers would only be passing the destroyers on their way to strike at capital ships and that they would not be attacking the destroyers directly. An analysis in this report showed that attacking aircraft flying at a height of 5,000 feet and at a distance of 5,000 yards (1,525 m and 4,570 m) would only be 18 degrees above the horizon. For that reason, the Committee concluded that 'future destroyers should not be fitted with a dual purpose armament' and recommended a maximum main gunnery elevation of only 40 degrees.

No analysis of HACS would be complete without a brief mention of the contemporary USA's Mark 37 Gunfire Control System (GFCS), some of which were also supplied to the Royal Navy. In British terms, these were "HA/LA" systems, that is, they were intended for use against both aircraft and surface targets. This system was first introduced into service on the destroyer USS Sims (DD-409) in early 1940 and was quickly adopted for all new US warship construction of destroyer size and larger. Some auxiliaries built pre-war were also equipped with this unit. The Mark 37 GFCS differed from previous US directors by having the analog computer and stable vertical mounted below decks in order to reduce the size and weight of the director itself. An important feature of this system was that AA time fuzes were automatically - and continuously - set in the shell hoists, which not only eliminated a source of human error, but also meant that the rate of fire was not affected by the skill and speed of a human fuze setter, thus allowing faster firing cycles. This feature allowed ships to fire whatever barrels were ready at any given time, again resulting in an appreciably faster rate of fire. This continuous fuze setting also meant that these ships could fire a 'rolling barrage' pattern that followed the aircraft target as it moved through the sky, unlike the 'once and done' barrage pattern.

Full comparison:   https://www.quora.com/Were-British-warships-as-effective-in-thwarting-Japanese-Kamikaze-attacks-as-American-warships-were/answer/Trent-Telenko

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

A colorised version of a photo of the Texas.  Came out very nice.

"With your eyes closed?"

Staggerwing

Any idea when that was taken? I'm guessing mid 40's since she is sporting an awful lot of light guns.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Will see if I can find the photo, should have that info.
Believe the original was from 1944 and after a refit?  Would guess when she visited New York for upkeep in September 1944.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Aircraft carriers Zuikaku (foreground) and Kaga underway to Pearl Harbor. November 1941.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

heavy cruisers USS Salt Lake City (CA-25), USS Pensacola (CA-24) and USS New Orleans (CA-32) (listed from left to right) nested together at Pearl Harbor, 31 October 1943. Ford Island is at the left, with the battleship USS Oklahoma (BB-37) under salvage at the extreme left, just beyond Salt Lake City's forward superstructure. Note the radar antennas, gun directors and 8-inch guns on these three heavy cruisers. Two New Mexico-class battleships are visible in the background between Pensacola and New Orleans.
The Treaty cruisers were built to stay within the 10,000 ton limit and were quite limited as a result.  For example, Japanese heavy cruisers, like Ashigara, is now rated as 17,000 tons.  Also, there was a difference of doctrine.  US cruisers were designed for long range action, while the IJN designed for night fighting.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

Fifty miles off Honshu.
USS Franklin being assisted by Light Cruiser Santa Fe.  19 March, 1945

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

In May of 1961, the carrier Antietam was transformed into the launching platform for stratospheric balloons, in the framework of the fifth and last mission of NAVY's medical research manned balloon program denominated "Stratolab".

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

On 10 November 1966, the USS Nautilus (SSN-571) collided with the USS Essex (CVS-9) while running submerged about 350 miles east of Morehead City, North Carolina, during underway replenishment exercises. Both ships returned to port unassisted. The submarine received extensive damage to its sail area and went to New London, The carrier sustained an open hull cut in the bow area and proceeded to Norfolk, Virginia.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08571.htm

The Nautilus was a real game changer for ASW.  Old sailors told stories of how it could run away from destroyers.  At the time of her introduction, sonar couldn't operate at more than about sixteen knots.  So she could just crank it up and even though this made her very noisy, the destroyers couldn't follow and hear.Think I've mentioned there was an old, salty Quartermaster E8 at Surface Warfare school in Newport.  He told the story that her sound signature was very distinctive.  After she was tracked once, you could always ID her.  The navy tried for years to discover this anomoly.  It finally was fixed when the coffee urn in the Goat Locker was replaced.  The grounding arrangement was not done correctly and caused a harmonic vibration that sonar picked up.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal.

San Francisco dukes it out with BB Hiei.   "a barroom brawl after the lights had been shot out".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Battle_of_Guadalcanal

A great illustration of unprepared leadership and lack of training.  Admiral Callaghan was the senior officer, but had not been engaged with the enemy before.  He distrusted radar and tried to fight the night battle by visual. 
During the night battle three members of San Francisco's crew won Medal of Honors.  Lcr Schonman, the Damage Control Assistant, who saved the ship from sinking, Lcdr McCandless who took over after all the bridge crew was killed, and  24 year old Boatswain Mate Reinhardt Keppler.

For extraordinary heroism and distinguished courage above and beyond the call of duty while serving aboard the U.S.S. San Francisco during action against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands, 12–November 13, 1942. When a hostile torpedo plane, during a daylight air raid, crashed on the after machine-gun platform, KEPPLER promptly assisted in the removal of the dead and, by his capable supervision of the wounded, undoubtedly helped save the lives of several shipmates who otherwise might have perished. That night, when the hangar was set afire during the great battle off Savo Island, he bravely led a hose into the starboard side of the stricken area and there, without assistance and despite frequent hits from terrific enemy bombardment, eventually brought the fire under control. Later, although mortally wounded, he labored valiantly in the midst of bursting shells, persistently directing fire-fighting operations and administrating to wounded personnel until he finally collapsed from loss of blood, aged 24. His great personal valor, maintained with utter disregard of personal safety, was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

The Coral Sea had a certain style.

"With your eyes closed?"