Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteUSS Long Beach (CGN-9). Looking from stern, Tomahawk ABLs, Harpoon Launchers, and two Phalanx CIWS are visible.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

USS North Carolina (BB-55) hits the Ark Restaurant while being moved into her berth as a museum ship. Wilmington, North Carolina, 1961.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

Guilio Cesare departing Taranto around 1937.
Like the swing bridge to the right.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteMachine gun position on the German R-class Zeppelin 'LZ 63', 1916-17

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteJapanese carrier Zuiho damaged during the Battle of Cape Engano, 25. October 1944

Staggerwing

^Note the false turret and superstructure painted on the flight deck: "NME dive bombers move along, nothing to see here, just a lowly cruiser".
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Heh. Didn't quite work out.

mirth

QuoteHMS Ocean preparing to depart HMNB Devonport on 29th August 2017 for a final deployment before her scheduled decommissioning date of 31st March 2018

mirth

QuoteSubmarine Chaser SC718 being unloaded from the Liberty Ship SS Willard Hall, at Albert Quay Belfast, October 1943

mirth

QuoteBow view of the V-3 (SS-165) in dry dock # 1 at Mare Island. April 11, 1929.

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on August 30, 2017, 07:56:16 PM
QuoteSubmarine Chaser SC718 being unloaded from the Liberty Ship SS Willard Hall, at Albert Quay Belfast, October 1943

Man, it took balls to chase subs in the tiny tub....  :o

mirth

bbmike

Had to look up Leonard Roy Harmon. Glad I did.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

QuoteUSS STILETTO (1887-1911)  firing a torpedo from her bow tube, about 1890.

besilarius

Monkey Fist from the 1970s.
The traidtional way to get lines across from one ship to another was for a hefty boatswain's mate to sling one across.
Now, they are shot across with line guns that use a blank.  When blanks are in short supply, there is always the monkey fist.

Throwing the fist is a little practiced art.  You swing it over your head to build momentum at the call, "Stand by to Bolo."
When the speed seems high enough, the command, "BOLO!" is given and the boatswain hurls it at the receiving ship.
They need to release it with a little upward arc.  Otherwise, if you release it in a flat line, it will wrap around your neck and choke the life out of you.
Another reason all boatswains carry a sharp knife.

"With your eyes closed?"