What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on April 17, 2015, 09:16:33 PM
Nef - I'm going to be reading Ghost on a Throne very soon...post impressions!

Will do.

I was only in the middle of the second chapter when struck down by illness, so I've not been doing much of anything the last day and a half.  Curses!

Being vaguely familiar with all the murderous craziness which happened for years after Alexander's death, the subject matter is ripe for the telling.  Just wondering how well the telling is done here.

Gusington

^Feel better.

Ghost on the Throne has had some very good reviews on Amazon for years, FWIW.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 15, 2015, 09:16:27 PM
Halfway through 'when Christ and his saints slept'

I'm so ready for total war medieval 3

Didn't you get The Eye of the World a little while back? Can't quite recall, someone did who hadn't read WoT yet, and we were curious what you/he would think about it...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Finished Unheralded Victory and The Ten Thousand Day War, which I read more-or-less in tandem. If I could clone myself temporarily I'd put one clone to work synthesizing the several Vietnam books I own into one coherent account, since those two books each exemplify ignoring data to follow a thesis.  :P (And yet are still good books, as are all of the several I own.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 20, 2015, 08:20:41 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 15, 2015, 09:16:27 PM
Halfway through 'when Christ and his saints slept'

I'm so ready for total war medieval 3

Didn't you get The Eye of the World a little while back? Can't quite recall, someone did who hadn't read WoT yet, and we were curious what you/he would think about it...

that was me, i have arc light next to the bed, 'saints' in the downstairs toilet, and malice in the upstairs toilet

thats not a bowel complaint, its the name of the book

EotW is next

Gusington

How's Malice? I have that on my shelf as well.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on April 20, 2015, 05:51:27 PM
How's Malice? I have that on my shelf as well.

Brilliant so far but don't want to let spoilers out

Gusington

I bet you say that to all the girls. Can you compare Malice to The Red Knight?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Finally started Ian Kershaw's The End - The Destruction of Hitler's Germany.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I friggin' love used book stores.  Honestly, I can just lose myself in a used book store for hours.

I went there today and picked up 4 books, each for about $10:

The Tolkien Companion by Tyler
Hearts Touched by Fire by McPherson and Holzer
Before Antietam by Priest
Return to Bull Run by Hennessey

I swear, I could have cleaned out their Civil War section, just amazing old books there. 

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Toonces

^ Man that place is epic!   :smitten:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

I Google searched the store and found some pictures.  Bookends in Kailua:

Not nearly as cool as that train bookstore, but still, a full-on treasure trove of used books and treasures to be found!  I even found some 2nd edition AD&D stuff mixed in with a Hemmingway book, and a book on heavy weather sailing!

Ulfang

Trinity (second of the War of the Roses series) by Conn Iggulden
Xfire: Ulfang
Steam/PSN/Xbox: Gavmundo

W8taminute

Quote from: bob48 on April 23, 2015, 05:36:43 AM
Then you'd love this place..

http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/

Awesome!!  Thanks for sharing that.  I agree with Toonces that place is indeed epic.  I have to add Barterbooks to my bucket list.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk