What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, July 28, 2014, 11:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I went out to a game night a somewhat local cafe and joined a group who wanted to try out a WWII board/card game called Quartermaster General by Griggling Games.

It's meant to be played by 6 players but as we only had 4, one player played both the US and UK and one played Japan and Italy.  I played Germany.  It's got a simplified world map board that's somewhat similar to Risk or Axis and Allies but a little less detailed.  Your goal is to try to build a supply chain of armies and navies to reach into areas that contain VP locations.  Building and fighting is controlled by playing cards.  It's got a few interesting ideas but the consensus of everyone at the table was that it was far too dependent on luck and drawing the right cards from your deck early on.  There are special event cards that allow you do affect the outcome of play in significant ways but if you don't have them, you're SOL.   I didn't get the cards Germany needed early on (blitzkrieg, dive bombers, broad front) and so the Axis just kind of ran out of gas and the Allies won on points despite the fact that nothing really happened at all.  At one point, Germany did drive through the middle east to grab India but that was the only real conflict of note. 

I wouldn't recommend it.

https://youtu.be/L-nSpcbAga0

GJK

I've never played QMG but have seen my local gaming group play it a few times.  That's one their 'go to games' late in the night after they've played something more groggish.  They really seem to enjoy it.  Alcohol may be involved however; I'm not sure.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Silent Disapproval Robot

It was my first time playing it and I wasn't very impressed.  The others had played it a half dozen times and had all come to the conclusion that it was just too random and that the cards dictated play rather than the player.  A lot of reviewers seem to be taken with it though so maybe it has more to offer the more you play it.  For me though, it seemed like it was trying to be Axis and Allies but with even less depth.

PanzersEast

Send in the Space Marines.... Breach // Clear  // Rescue.

Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident

BanzaiCat

^ OK, I looked that up and it's called "Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident" - but all I can find online is some cheap thing in a plastic baggie, nothing like what I see in your two pics, PE.

Was that the result of a Kickstarter campaign, those upgraded components? Where can I get it, if it's available? I see it came out in 1993, but looks to be a reprint...and the company, Fat Messiah, doesn't look like the page has been updated in 10+ years.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 20, 2015, 02:43:48 PM
^ OK, I looked that up and it's called "Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident" - but all I can find online is some cheap thing in a plastic baggie, nothing like what I see in your two pics, PE.

Was that the result of a Kickstarter campaign, those upgraded components? Where can I get it, if it's available? I see it came out in 1993, but looks to be a reprint...and the company, Fat Messiah, doesn't look like the page has been updated in 10+ years.

Yes it is Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident, sorry should have clarified that.

You can get it at the link below, the new updated version.  It comes in a baggy, however the components are very good! The version is their "Classic" version set.  I believe this was kickstarted some time ago.

http://www.printplaygames.com/product/last-frontier-the-vesuvius-incident

PE

weateallthepies

Ha I just scrolled past the picture thinking, wow that looks cool and then realising that I bought a copy. Usually only happens with steam games  ;D

Cyrano

Liking this little thing...liking it...if the rulebook was written by infinite chimps on infinite typewriters...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Nefaro

Quote from: Cyrano on April 20, 2015, 04:58:12 PM

Liking this little thing...liking it...if the rulebook was written by infinite chimps on infinite typewriters...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

After skimming the rules, I can see that HoN will be fun.  Breaks out of the WW2 wargame norm and does it's own thing without getting too bogged down with umpteen player aids and excessive DRM lists.

BanzaiCat

OK, Cyrano and Nefaro...what is that game? HoN, what's that?  ???

Barthheart

Heroes of Normandy.

I didn't know there were blocks in it though....  ???

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Barth. I've heard of it here, but I've never seen the components.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 21, 2015, 08:10:45 AM

If you had been at Origins, you would've seen it!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Heck, if read GARPA on a regular basis, you'd have seen the Shadows Over Normandie expansion that adds Cthulhu critters to the game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 21, 2015, 08:14:26 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 21, 2015, 08:10:45 AM

If you had been at Origins, you would've seen it!

Oh, sorry! Let me wave my magic wand and create piles of cash so I may whisk myself away. Or better, let me wave my magic wand and make my wife disappear temporarily or agree with everything I ask for. :)