Military Operations: Benchmark released

Started by Grecco, June 21, 2018, 06:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apocalypse 31

@ Grecco,

I think your team's ambition is awesome, and I hope to see this gem on Steam in the future. It's an easy buy for me.

Has your team ever considered going modern? The WW2 operational-level has been done so many times. Adding helicopters and jets into the mix adds to much depth to an operational-level wargame.

If not modern, perhaps a fictional 60-70s?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Destraex on June 23, 2018, 07:37:13 AMsomething more advanced than board game hexes

NO SUCH THINGS EXISTS YOU HERETIC!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Ian C

What about people without enough video card memory that have SSD drives though? They are super fast - can the Windows Swap File cache excess video memory ?

Father Ted

Well, I've downloaded this and it seems to be a Google Earth with pixeltruppen.  If this can be married to a decent game than colour me ready to buy.

Grecco

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on June 23, 2018, 11:53:59 AM
Has your team ever considered going modern? The WW2 operational-level has been done so many times.

The main reason for going with WW2 is because of a personal passion with the subject matter. Another reason is that it actually hasn't been done before in this fashion. As an avid reader of history books and memoirs I've never quite found any operational-level games that evoke the same feeling of organized chaos that the actual commanders seemed to experience. Only the Command Ops series comes close.

Grecco

Quote from: Ian C on June 23, 2018, 03:52:02 PM
What about people without enough video card memory that have SSD drives though? They are super fast - can the Windows Swap File cache excess video memory ?

I'm afraid that's not technically possible. Even though SSD drives are super fast, they are still slow compared to video RAM, around a 1000x times slower. Where SSD throughput is measured in the hundreds of MB's per second, GPU's can read from VRAM at well over 100 GB / second.

JasonPratt

My initial run of it last night seemed to hang during the polling of my graphics card, and eventually I had to shut the whole computer down (as alt-tabbing out didn't allow me to close the program either).

This morning, however, the demo loaded up no problem. I had some fun zipping around in Roam mode after the 6 minute benchmarking flyby.

I'm uploading 22 minutes of my meandering right now, and I'll post the video once YT finishes compiling it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Hm, I need to trim down my field of view, I see. The game engine does allow that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ian C

Quote from: Grecco on June 24, 2018, 08:34:56 AM
Quote from: Ian C on June 23, 2018, 03:52:02 PM

I'm afraid that's not technically possible. Even though SSD drives are super fast, they are still slow compared to video RAM, around a 1000x times slower. Where SSD throughput is measured in the hundreds of MB's per second, GPU's can read from VRAM at well over 100 GB / second.

Well that's a bummer. Thanks for the reply.

Iconoclast

Just found this thread and wanted to say that I support this fully. Looks great.

I will look through the forum to find something along the lines of a feature list.

Good fortune with that project, I will have an eye on it.

Regards,

A
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

Grecco

Quote from: Iconoclast on June 26, 2018, 04:58:36 AM
I will look through the forum to find something along the lines of a feature list.

For a feature list of the upcoming game, take a look at this blog post: http://militaryoperationshq.com/milops-the-game/

Iconoclast

For a feature list of the upcoming game, take a look at this blog post: http://militaryoperationshq.com/milops-the-game/

Absolutely wonderful. I am somewhat of an engineering enthusiast.

Any estimate on what Engineering you want to be in the game, as a minimal goal? Looks like big river crossings would be important...

Cheers,

A
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!

Grecco

QuoteAny estimate on what Engineering you want to be in the game, as a minimal goal? Looks like big river crossings would be important...

As a minimum we indeed want to include river crossing operations, the details of which haven't been designed yet so I cannot tell you a lot about it now. Reading the history books shows there are a lot of ways units can cross a river and establish a bridgehead on the opposite bank, even without engineers. So we are looking at ways how we could model that in-game. Since we strive to include historically accurate OOB's you can expect to see engineer units and bridge equipment columns as part of a division.

OJsDad

Hi Grecco.  I loaded and did not experience any issues, except that I didn't have an option to set resolution to 3440x1440.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Zulu1966

I guess in all this, and it looks a cool idea, we have to be realistic however and clearly understand that any delivery of a finished playable games is several years away still...
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.